Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

Untitled.jpg

They have cleared up this lot in the last few days and installed what appear to be new concrete curbs. Iam no expert, but it appears that they are converting this lot back into a parking lot until they decide to build the office tower.

Regardless of the merits of this remaining a parking lot, it will be nice to have the construction hoarding removed, which must be imminent.

I would like to see new street furniture especially the street lights replaced to something more consistent with what they have done in other parts of the downtown core recently. The street lighting along this part of bremner, york and simcoe are particularly dated.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    872.7 KB · Views: 2,405
Well, I spose a parking lot will look better than what's currently there. I'd still really like to see this get developed. For one, the concrete wall is ugly, and it's a central parcel of land that, in its undeveloped state, leaves SoCo (oh yeah) feeling incomplete.

Is there any chance that the office building design isn't final and is subject to change? This spot is perfect for something with a little flair.

Given what this area looked like 7 or 8 years ago having one small parking lot left in an area that was formerly brownfield is not a bad step at all.

Is there any chance that the office building design isn't final and is subject to change? This spot is perfect for something with a little flair.
I'm hoping for a redesign that 1) moves the office building further away from the Ïce's east tower, and 2) adds some design gesture beyond the lateral shift in the floor plates half way up, while avoiding going full Dubai. There's got to be a happy medium between garish, and the so far mostly severe minimalism of South Core towers. The area could also use more variety in cladding.

I love what aA did with Ïce and what P+S did with the Delta, I like what &co did with Telus House, I like KPMB's Maple Leaf Square's podium but not its towers, and I can say the same thing for KPMB's Southcore Centre. Not much point in mentioning Infinity other than to say I like the scalloped west walls of the towers and the street retail along Bremner, but that's it for that complex. Dare I say from local talent that we could use a dose of Hariri Pontarini at the core of South Core to add some verve in here to complement Ïce and the Delta?

That said, I want to see this hole in the urban fabric filled ASAP. A landmark tower should be sought here to complete this cluster of buildings.

I'm hoping for a redesign that 1) moves the office building further away from the Ïce's east tower, and 2) adds some design gesture beyond the lateral shift in the floor plates half way up, while avoiding going full Dubai. There's got to be a happy medium between garish, and the so far mostly severe minimalism of South Core towers. The area could also use more variety in cladding.

I love what aA did with Ïce and what P+S did with the Delta, I like what &co did with Telus House, I like KPMB's Maple Leaf Square's podium but not its towers, and I can say the same thing for KPMB's Southcore Centre. Not much point in mentioning Infinity other than to say I like the scalloped west walls of the towers and the street retail along Bremner, but that's it for that complex. Dare I say from local talent that we could use a dose of Hariri Pontarini at the core of South Core to add some verve in here to complement Ïce and the Delta?

That said, I want to see this hole in the urban fabric filled ASAP. A landmark tower should be sought here to complete this cluster of buildings.

Yes, a Hariri Pontarini designed office tower here would be great to see.

Based on information received directly from a source within Cadillac Fairview Corporation, the proposed height of 157.745m [top of the mechanical penthouse] will remain consistent and the existing design is under review. The northern section of CR Block 9 will be purposed as a parking lot for an interim period currently projected at twelve months.

Based on information received directly from a source within Cadillac Fairview Corporation, the proposed height of 157.745m [top of the mechanical penthouse] will remain consistent...

This is extremely disappointing. I agree with i42 that it would be great to have it developed ASAP, but I would rather have it as a parking lot for another five years than see it underdeveloped for the next 50.

I also hope the design of this tower changes. To put up another generic, glass box right beside Ice Condos, would be a shame. The design of this tower should at least match the cool vibe set by the condos. I would rather have the site go undeveloped, than see a glass box here.

Ideally something iconic at any height would be great here. but parking lots are the worst. I'd settle for a shorter less obstructive glass box OR if they went with a really dark glass like some of the renders suggest it could be nice. a black glass box with a floor plate shift could work well here to give some contrast.

Though I'd really rather see other office buildings come into fruition before this one.

I also hope the design of this tower changes. To put up another generic, glass box right beside Ice Condos, would be a shame. The design of this tower should at least match the cool vibe set by the condos. I would rather have the site go undeveloped, than see a glass box here.

Anti box sentiments is only setting youself up for disappointment. Some generic curvy tower just won't have the floor plate efficiency tenants want.

The parking lot (woohoo! surface parking!) is set to open shortly:

aDSC08496.jpg
DSC08495.jpg
eDSC08494.jpg

Attachments

• aDSC08496.jpg
    aDSC08496.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 1,031
  • DSC08495.jpg
    DSC08495.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 1,050
  • eDSC08494.jpg
    eDSC08494.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 1,035
I'm glad they're reviewing the design and am hoping for something more "show stopping" here. something that would shake up the scene for the south core and hopefully a different bolder colour. Also wondering why they wouldn't fight for a taller height restriction.

Back