News   Jul 09, 2024
 832     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 621     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Speaking of the subway chimes here is a little fact:

The door chime on the subway is the first three notes from the Sesame Street theme song. :D

If you need entertainment riding subway, bring your ipod/iphone/book/newspaper for that :D

Two birds with one stone.

There's a similar version for the London Underground, and also this other one that's pretty neat.

Personal transit planning is clearly the future and it will be interesting to see how the role of PDAs and interactive technology will evolve.

Last edited:
sorry

A good idea with a WRONG implementation. Once you're on the train you know where you're going. And already paid for that. Guidance screens should be placed on stations outside of paid zones or even better at street level.

If you need entertainment riding subway, bring your ipod/iphone/book/newspaper for that :D

sorry bout that!!!:eek:

I wish that the TTC would use different voices for the station announcements, based on the direction of travel. For example, male for westbound and female for eastbound.

I fail to see the reason for this, I mean thats what color coding is for and such. Plus people are more receptive to female voices, I wouldn't want a guy announcing them. Plus our current announcer sounds great in my opinion... why change it?

lol

I fail to see the reason for this, I mean thats what color coding is for and such. Plus people are more receptive to female voices, I wouldn't want a guy announcing them. Plus our current announcer sounds great in my opinion... why change it?

lol very low voice:D

anybody got any updates? last thing i heard was the door company was shut down and trains delayed...any news since then?

imagine wifi and cellphone service in the train ;)

Cellphone service is coming, I believe it could happen as early as this year, but they're presently trying to negotiate with a provider, who will of course be responsible for the cost of installation.

Bah... it's a shame that the company had to go bankrupt. I wonder what the new schedule is for their delivey, and what Brad Ross meant by 'on track'. Its about time the TTC had a report on theTR's progress and such at one of their commission meetings.

Bah... it's a shame that the company had to go bankrupt. I wonder what the new schedule is for their delivey, and what Brad Ross meant by 'on track'. Its about time the TTC had a report on theTR's progress and such at one of their commission meetings.

the TTC is always slow when it comes to relaying news such as this. i mean they shud have daily updates whether its on their website or newspaper.

The following article about the new subway cars was posted on Examiner.com two days ago.

May I suggest a game? Count the logical and factual errors in the following article!

----

Toronto transit passengers welcome hi-tech subway trains
January 19, 2:21 PM
Toronto Science News Examiner
Tomitheos Linardos

Built by Bombardier Transportation, the new Toronto T-1 train with a 6-car-fixed-configuration will hold 10% more riders and still provide passengers with better inner mobility, accessibility and overall traveling comfort.

It was time for change after several recent derailments with the old trains.

In one accident, a piece of the train broke and was dragged to the next station where the broken equipment endangered everyone as it caught on the crossover track lifting the train off the tracks.

'More than 200 of Toronto subway cars are more than 30 years old and it is past time we replaced them' Toronto Hotline

The TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) bought 234 new subway cars to make 39 trains. Our Toronto News

Considered the next generation of subway trains, the TTC Rocket is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Toronto.

Hoping for smoother rides, the new trains will roll out on the Y-U-S line (York-University-Spadina) and the first trains will start passenger service in early 2010.

The aforementioned Y-U-S line is the most frequented traveling route and will therefore be expanded by 2015 to run north from Downsview Station to the Vaughn Metropolitan Centre in York Region in order to accommodate passengers.

Features of the new Toronto Rocket trains include:

* Ceiling mounted visual displays
* Live visual image feed to operator when alarm is activated
* Closed circuit cameras (4 units per car and 24 units per train)
* Electronic information displays (subway maps, next station arrival etc.)
* Passenger voice activated alarm intercoms (6 units per car and 36 units per train)
* Stanchions for the visual impaired (with anti-bacterial coating)

In addition to the new high-tech trains, all subway stops will be fitted with new state-of-the-art signaling systems called ATC (Automatic Train Control), which will improve safety and operating efficiencies to save costs and better patron capacity.

The TTC will retire its old subway trains as the new fleet come into service this year.

----

Toronto transit passengers welcome hi-tech subway trains
January 19, 2:21 PM
Toronto Science News Examiner
Tomitheos Linardos

Built by Bombardier Transportation, the new Toronto T-1 train with a 6-car-fixed-configuration will hold 10% more riders and still provide passengers with better inner mobility, accessibility and overall traveling comfort.

It was time for change after several recent derailments with the old trains. Not sure about this... I certainly haven't heard about derailments.

In one accident, a piece of the train broke and was dragged to the next station where the broken equipment endangered everyone as it caught on the crossover track lifting the train off the tracks.

'More than 200 of Toronto subway cars are more than 30 years old and it is past time we replaced them' Toronto Hotline

The TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) bought 234 new subway cars to make 39 trains. Our Toronto News

Considered the next generation of subway trains, the TTC Rocket is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Toronto.

Hoping for smoother rides, the new trains will roll out on the Y-U-S line (York-University-Spadina) and the first trains will start passenger service in early 2010.

The aforementioned Y-U-S line is the most frequented traveling route and will therefore be expanded by 2015 to run north from Downsview Station to the Vaughn Metropolitan Centre in York Region in order to accommodate passengers.

Features of the new Toronto Rocket trains include:

* Ceiling mounted visual displays
* Live visual image feed to operator when alarm is activated
* Closed circuit cameras (4 units per car and 24 units per train)
* Electronic information displays (subway maps, next station arrival etc.)
* Passenger voice activated alarm intercoms (6 units per car and 36 units per train)
* Stanchions for the visual impaired (with anti-bacterial coating)

In addition to the new high-tech trains, all subway stops will be fitted with new state-of-the-art signaling systems called ATC (Automatic Train Control), which will improve safety and operating efficiencies to save costs and better patron capacity.

The TTC will retire its old subway trains as the new fleet come into service this year.[/QUOTE]

That "news" site may is the wikipedia of news sites... Just like wiki, you have to take the information given with a grain of salt.

Back