News   Jul 10, 2024
 113     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 906     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.8K     3 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

LCD screens

... or be yet another advertisement delivery system.

Isn't the dismal failure of the system on the GO Trains enough to demonstrate that this is a bad idea?

I think that's apples and oranges. On the GO, it's a much more pleasant ride. Seats for all, easier to read, or receive signals on personal devices, or look out of doors, as opposed to very rider-inhospitable environment of the subway. I would welcome looking at CP24 while riding the subway car instead of looking at the awful card ads that are there now anyway ("ad delivery system") or black tunnel, wouldn't you? Also, it could be used for emergency broadcast when necessary, route information delays, etc etc, NOT just ads!

lol i watched like 5 mins of it and then i turned it off... that guy who called from mississauga just killed it...

lol i watched like 5 mins of it and then i turned it off... that guy who called from mississauga just killed it...

lol, yeah that was the worst! Like, leave us alone and go back to the burbs, idiot!

Say, what do you think of the LCD discussion?

Last edited:
u mean the new lcd screens that are going to be on the new trains? personally, to me it does not matter. they just look fancy and as one of the members here mentioned before, they are simply new toys. the overhead display and which door opens is useful for the hearing impaired, and the colored flooring is for the visually impaired. so all in all, there really is not much too it. i am just curious about the delivery date of those trains...

u mean the new lcd screens that are going to be on the new trains? personally, to me it does not matter. they just look fancy and as one of the members here mentioned before, they are simply new toys. the overhead display and which door opens is useful for the hearing impaired, and the colored flooring is for the visually impaired. so all in all, there really is not much too it. i am just curious about the delivery date of those trains...

well, i think they are going to have lcd screens too, at least i hope so. It would be nice to have something interesting to watch for my 25 + minute ride for once, right?

lol i suppose. maybe they can play movies or sumthing haha that would be sweet...

I think that's apples and oranges. On the GO, it's a much more pleasant ride. Seats for all, easier to read, or receive signals on personal devices, or look out of doors, as opposed to very rider-inhospitable environment of the subway. I would welcome looking at CP24 while riding the subway car instead of looking at the awful card ads that are there now anyway ("ad delivery system") or black tunnel, wouldn't you? Also, it could be used for emergency broadcast when necessary, route information delays, etc etc, NOT just ads!
But the screen on the GO Trains aren't available for emergency broadcasts ... they sit there now completely unused. This is my point! It's all fine when the system is working, but when the system stops working, for whatever reason, will it ever be fixed?

I think the ridiculous splurges on advertising by companies in the bubble decade are over for many years to come. Any ad-supported-screens-on-trains business model relied on those ad dollars and it won't work again until that time comes.

I also would rather have empty space in the advertising slots and blank screens than have the ad rates lowered enough to fill them. If they did that, we would have the lowest of the low byuing out trains and I really don't want "ca$hmoneyloansnow!" and Oliver Jewlery ads filling all the trains every day.

We won't see working LCD displays on GO for a long time to come.

I think the ridiculous splurges on advertising by companies in the bubble decade are over for many years to come. Any ad-supported-screens-on-trains business model relied on those ad dollars and it won't work again until that time comes.

I also would rather have empty space in the advertising slots and blank screens than have the ad rates lowered enough to fill them. If they did that, we would have the lowest of the low byuing out trains and I really don't want "ca$hmoneyloansnow!" and Oliver Jewlery ads filling all the trains every day.

We won't see working LCD displays on GO for a long time to come.

But it appears they are installing the LCD screens on the new TTC cars to come ("in a couple of months" - per Giambrone last night On the Rocket), right? So if anybody has any definitve (i.e., final design / actual installation - not cartoony - mockups) photos of such i'd love to see 'em.

But it appears they are installing the LCD screens on the new TTC cars to come ("in a couple of months" - per Giambrone last night On the Rocket), right? So if anybody has any definitve (i.e., final design / actual installation - not cartoony - mockups) photos of such i'd love to see 'em.

There ARE going to be LCD screens, the photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/r-flores/2721711073/in/set-72157606481164578/) I showed you aren't cartoons or computer generated, they are pictures of the ACTUAL built thing. Those pictures are the best you will get until the actual trains arrive, as there aren't many pictures of these trains in circulation.

And contrary to everyone else i think the screens are a great choice if they are maintained, and if they actually use them for service updates, I mean I can live with the advertisements if the implement them, we'll only be seeing more and more electronic ads at us as we go on, so its better if we get used to it. And if I get annoyed by the ads, i'd ignore them, its only 3 screens per car, thats not that much screens.

Last edited:
There ARE going to be LCD screens, the photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/r-flores/2721711073/in/set-72157606481164578/) I showed you aren't cartoons or computer generated, they are pictures of the ACTUAL built thing. Those pictures are the best you will get until the actual trains arrive, as there aren't many pictures of these trains in circulation.

And contrary to everyone else i think the screens are a great choice if they are maintained, and if they actually use them for service updates, I mean I can live with the advertisements if the implement them, we'll only be seeing more and more electronic ads at us as we go on, so its better if we get used to it. And if I get annoyed by the ads, i'd ignore them, its only 3 screens per car, thats not that much screens.

Well said, 12!

Thanks again for the link which you kindly provided before. I know the mock-up car these pics are from; I went and saw it myself when it was at Davisville about 3 years ago. A lot can change in 3 years! Furthermore, I find the (only) picture of the LCD screen in this guy's collection not that great since he took such a close-up to it. You don't get a very good perspective.

Hi subwayboy, those pictures are not from the davisville train, those are taken at the Factory I believe, you can see the difference,

This was taken on a retrofitted T1 at davisville (wonder what they did with the car?)
http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/subway-5511-02.jpg

and this one at another location, its obvious this isn't a retrofitted T1 if you look carefully you can see the indent where the screen is ontop of the window on the right.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/r-flores/2722536026/in/set-72157606481164578/

Last edited:

Back