News   Jul 10, 2024
 702     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 468     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 681     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Actually, acceleration sounds that are distinctive to the new TR trains is significant. For some people, they hold a small but important representation of the current train technology. Its just interesting. We're just mentioning its a relief its not silent, as many things in this city are plain enough as it is. I won't make a personal insult to you, but your COMMENT sounds very pretentious.
I haven't made any comments about acceleration sounds or noises ... nor was it your post I was responding to.

I'm with Noctis; i don't really care aout the three-chime Sesame Street thingy, i just want delivery of the damn cars (that were promised in '09.)

Trivia note: all you chaps who LOVE the three chimes- i"ll bet you can't remeber what sound preceded it on the older cars...

BTW why haven't the mods recognized the change back to standard time?

...ha, now the time seems all right (????) the mods must've heard me already.

Last edited:
Trivia note: all you chaps who LOVE the three chimes- i"ll bet you can't remeber what sound preceded it on the older cars...

When they started using the chimes I hated them and missed the whistle. Now I think I'd feel the same about any changes they make to the chimes. I guess sometimes the best thing is just what you're used to.

When did the chimes get introduced? It couldn't have been that long ago, because I distinctly remember the change and I'm not that old

An article i found about the chimes at transit toronto ....

FINAL DAYS AND RETIREMENT

By 1993 the TTC had placed its order for new T-1 subway cars with Bombardier. With the M-1 cars slated for retirement, it was decided not to retrofit these cars with the new automatic door-chime system. As a result, the M-1 trains continued to use the traditional two-whistle system to indicate that the doors were closing. But as the M-1 series cars had been used for peak service only for most of the 1980s and early 1990s, they were in remarkably good condition, compared to the H-1 workhorses. As a result, when the new T-1s were delivered starting in 1996 and started service on the Yonge-University-Spadina line, it was the H-1s operating on that line that were withdrawn first. The Montreal series cars only started to be retired in October 1998 when the new T-1s started to displace H-2 series cars onto the Bloor-Danforth subway.

Realizing the Montrealers would not be in operation for much longer, the Toronto Transportation Society organized a retirement charter held on February 28, 1999. The last M-1 series train operated on May 3, 1999 and remained at Greenwood for several weeks before being loaned out to a film shoot, dressed up as a New York subway train.

The withdrawn M-1 series cars were stored at the then-inactive Davisville Yard and, over time, were picked up and removed by the scrap dealers. The last M-1 series car on TTC property, 5307, was hauled away in September 1999. All but the first two cars of the series, 5300 and 5301, were scrapped. No cars were considered as additions to the TTC’s work car fleet as there were plenty of H-1 class cars available.

I don't see why everyone is so worried about the delivery, I mean, they'll eventually be delivered, its mere lack of patience. They aren't just going to throw away built trains just because they're off schedule, they'll be delivered. I'm tired of waiting too, but I'd rater have them delivered late, than not at all (and I don't think this is going to happen)

Let's all describe what we are going to do on our first ever ride on the TRs. I will probably stand behind the driver's cab pumping my fist and shouting "YEAH!" over and over.

Again, please keep the discussion here meaningful and relevant. I've had to re-delete some messages as certain members haven't got the message.

There's plenty of places to satisfy the hard-core transit geeks. UT isn't quite one of them.

Will someone please close the windows on this Chicago Transit Authority car:

:D

Actually, an artist created this proposal that could added on to a train in Chicago. See this link for the article. Could it happen in Toronto?

Last edited:
That garden car concept is quite interesting. I doubt it could successfully work with the subway since the plants would probably not get enough sunlight. It may however work with the SRT since it's 99% outdoors. It's a great concept that will hopefully succeed.
Maybe we could chop up the CLRVs when they are replaced and create a similar mobile garden. The only problem would be people trying to hitch a free ride on it.

noctis. I do. I give updates when I can. Otherwise, relax. Refer to my previous post for the most recent "update".

ShonTron: You can probably delete the past 15 pages of the constant inane posts also.

@ando

I see. My apologies for my earlier posts then. Thank you for the info, and I will continue to check this page for updates.

@ando

I see. My apologies for my earlier posts then. Thank you for the info, and I will continue to check this page for updates.

Noctis, disregard ando, and don't apologize to him. He's just a nasty pri.. He just sent me a very nasty, gratuitous private message, name calling and everything... I guess you gotta feel sorry for a pathetic guy like that, with nothing better to do..

He sounds like the poster boy for the (disgruntled - customer service-training-deprived) TTC employee.

Last edited:
but my previous question still has not been answered. if Curtis doors has gone bankrupt, who supplies the new doors now? i mean this question is relevant to this thread is it not? and ando, if u truly work for bombardier at thunder bay, then you would know what is currently going there now right?

Last edited:
but my previous question still has not been answered. if Curtis doors has gone bankrupt, who supplies the new doors now? i mean this question is relevant to this thread is it not?

Noctis, of course your question is highly relevant to this thread, and andomoan knows it (or should). It just bugs his small brain that he doesn't have the answer for you, and so his fragile ego makes him level an ad hominem attack at you instead (i.e. schollyard bully)

That garden car concept is quite interesting. I doubt it could successfully work with the subway since the plants would probably not get enough sunlight. It may however work with the SRT since it's 99% outdoors. It's a great concept that will hopefully succeed.
Maybe we could chop up the CLRVs when they are replaced and create a similar mobile garden. The only problem would be people trying to hitch a free ride on it.

noctis. I do. I give updates when I can. Otherwise, relax. Refer to my previous post for the most recent "update".

ShonTron: You can probably delete the past 15 pages of the constant inane posts also.

just saw ur profile, saw the new tr trains in the photos section. it'd be great if we can see more of it, like the interior, if possible...

Back