News   Jul 10, 2024
 267     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 447     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.2K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

well if you compare it to hong kong, taiwan, and even the states
I don't think comparing transit to communist and authoritarian cities is really a fair comparision.

But comparing to the United States? That surprises me. Most American cities have cut down on transit a lot over the last few decades. Even with some recent advances, bus frequencies in very urban areas are horrific in the USA. I'm shocked when I am in Seattle close to downtown, and a relatively major bus route has 30-minute off-peak service ... because there is little demand outside of rush-hour. In some ways New York City looks good, but their bus service has major issues (start checking some of their forums), and the state of repair of their subway system makes the TTC look very good.

Thanks for removing the comment though. And I guess this is off topic!

I don't think comparing transit to communist and authoritarian cities is really a fair comparision.

But comparing to the United States? That surprises me. Most American cities have cut down on transit a lot over the last few decades. Even with some recent advances, bus frequencies in very urban areas are horrific in the USA. I'm shocked when I am in Seattle close to downtown, and a relatively major bus route has 30-minute off-peak service ... because there is little demand outside of rush-hour. In some ways New York City looks good, but their bus service has major issues (start checking some of their forums), and the state of repair of their subway system makes the TTC look very good.

Went to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City by subway. It was a 10 minute wait for their subway trains, normal. In Toronto, the subway is around 5 minutes in the non-rush hour.

HK and Taiwan are communist and authoritarian? That's news.

Not to mention how proud Marx would be to see HK's privately owned and operated mass transit company that is also a fixture in the land speculation, development and property leasing markets! (lol)

i duno, but i all i can say is that the subway system in new york (since i only took the new york subway) is very unique. they have 4 tracks lanes, two for local and two for express. if you noticed, when taking the express lanes, you actually pass through some stations, rather than stopping at every single one. just like the express buses that only stop on major roads. if they can implement that to the TTC, then bloor station wouldn't be so congested...imo...sry off topic again lol mah bad... and ur welcome =) (about the comment)

i duno, but i all i can say is that the subway system in new york (since i only took the new york subway) is very unique. they have 4 tracks lanes, two for local and two for express. if you noticed, when taking the express lanes, you actually pass through some stations, rather than stopping at every single one. just like the express buses that only stop on major roads. if they can implement that to the TTC, then bloor station wouldn't be so congested...imo...sry off topic again lol mah bad... and ur welcome =) (about the comment)

Personally, if we're going to dig a second tunnel, I'd rather it be somewhere else and not along a corridor that already has a tunnel.

well either way, it would be cool to have that kind of feature...

well either way, it would be cool to have that kind of feature...

Cool, but at what price?

The infrastructure around the Yonge/Bloor station is very restrictive such that even looking to build a third platform (let alone one or two additional through tracks) is forecast to cost multiple billions of dollars (close to half of what a DRL from Danforth to University is estimated to cost).

And the actual need for an express by-pass of Bloor would be for a very limited time each day and for one direction at a time.

Then, unless you plan on running this express line most of the way up Yonge, you'd have added hassles to passengers further up the line having to skip the first train that arrives because it is express and they want to switch lines at Bloor.

Far better to put that kind of money towards something that will have demand throughout the day, like the DRL, which will also address the same problem you are looking at (congestion at Y&B).

here is a better idea. instead of digging extra tunnels, just have some trains run express. for example, an express train leaving Finch Station will stop at major stations only.

Finch->Sheppard->Eglinton->St. Clair->Bloor->etc..

however, the only problem to that is, how long can the train run before it needs to be recharged? or does it matter?

Unfortunately, I don't think it's really possible to have express trains without express tracks, because trains cannot pass, so each train is limited to the speed of the train in front of it. We might be able to skip Davisville because it has 3 tracks, but other than that, it's not so easy.

EDIT:
And going back on topic... I prefer the H-series over the T1s because they seem to be a quieter and smoother, both in acceleration and ride. Do we know whether the TRs will be better than the T1 (or H-series) in these aspects? Are there some quantifiable way of measuring these things? Or do we just have to wait and find out?

PS. Can we get back the H-series door chime please?

Last edited:
however, the only problem to that is, how long can the train run before it needs to be recharged? or does it matter?

It matters, we need to plug in all the trains for at least 4 hours each night for them to be fully charged for service the next day.

and how long can the train run before it runs out again?

Not to mention how proud Marx would be to see HK's privately owned and operated mass transit company that is also a fixture in the land speculation, development and property leasing markets! (lol)
Well to be fair, MTR is only quasi-private, since the gov't still controls half the shares and most funding for major projects still come directly from the gov't. But that certainly doesn't change the fact that HK is pretty much the very definition of laissez-faire capitalism, so nfitz's comment is rather funny.

and how long can the train run before it runs out again?
erm, I'm pretty sure ando is being sarcastic. TTC subway trains, as with most subway trains in general, are continuously in contact with the power source. They don't run on battery power and you don't "plug and charge" the trains.

Noctis - Yeah, I think he was being sarcastic, they don't need to be charged, they can run indefinitely becaise of the electric rail that constantly give it energy.

Anyone know why T1's brakes sound so loud and squeaky when they stop? I mean sometimes they sound worse than the H4's brakes.

o ok i see. thanks for the replies. i thought so too... i mean if the ttc is running almost 24 hours a day, i am sure they have a better system than things like recharging the trains before they can be used again...

Back