News   Apr 23, 2024
 113     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 853     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 289     0 

The Weather

The Lake tried hard to reclaim QQ yesterday... what a deluge that was. And radar shows a ton more rain coming.

And to further add. we are flooding once again here in the harbourfront. Wouldnt be surprised if we got more rain in past hour and a half then we did yesterday.

Look on the positive side, the farmers to the north really need this rain and in the city, sidewalks and streets are getting a much needed wash down yesterday and today that we haven't had in about 35 days. Shame that most beaches won't be swim-able for a week or two though.

Look on the positive side, the farmers to the north really need this rain and in the city, sidewalks and streets are getting a much needed wash down yesterday and today that we haven't had in about 35 days. Shame that most beaches won't be swim-able for a week or two though.

There has definitely been rain in the past 35 days. And I don't mean yesterday and today.

Search Results: From June 21 , 2009 to July 24 , 2009 - Toronto Island
Max Temp: 28.6 °C
Max Temp.Date: Jun.24 2009
Min temp: 10 °C
Min Temp. Date: Jul.12 2009
Precip Accumulation: 102 mm

At the airport:

Search Results: From June 21 , 2009 to July 24 , 2009 - Toronto City
Max Temp: 30.6 °C
Min temp: 12.4 °C
Precip Accumulation: 63.8 mm

Last edited:
There has definitely been rain in the past 35 days. And I don't mean yesterday and today.

Search Results: From June 21 , 2009 to July 24 , 2009 - Toronto Island
Precip Accumulation: 102 mm

At the airport:

Search Results: From June 21 , 2009 to July 24 , 2009 - Toronto City
Precip Accumulation: 63.8 mm

As of Thursday, CityTV reported that only 10mm of rain had fallen in the month of July. Most of what is reported above for downtown happened Thursday and Friday.

As of Thursday, CityTV reported that only 10mm of rain had fallen in the month of July. Most of what is reported above for downtown happened Thursday and Friday.

You said 35 days. Okay then, not including Thursday or Friday:

Search Results: From June 21 , 2009 to July 22 , 2009 - Toronto Island
Precip Accumulation: 68 mm

Search Results: From June 21 , 2009 to July 22 , 2009 - Toronto City
Precip Accumulation: 36.6 mm

You said 35 days. Okay then, not including Thursday or Friday:

The 35 day figure I used was referencing the number of days since the strike began. I'll be more careful in the future to double check my posts to ensure that they they correctly express my thoughts.
It was reported that in the month of July there had only been 10mm of rain (not sure if that was Pearson or Toronto Island) on Thursday night, CityTV (Michael Kuss). Your still going back to June.
My original point was, and I will clarify this so you don't keep picking my post apart, the streets and sidewalks got a much needed wash down in the past four days with the mass amounts of rain that we got. That was my point.

The 35 day figure I used was referencing the number of days since the strike began. I'll be more careful in the future to double check my posts to ensure that they they correctly express my thoughts.
It was reported that in the month of July there had only been 10mm of rain (not sure if that was Pearson or Toronto Island) on Thursday night, CityTV (Michael Kuss). Your still going back to June.
My original point was, and I will clarify this so you don't keep picking my post apart, the streets and sidewalks got a much needed wash down in the past four days with the mass amounts of rain that we got. That was my point.
It's worth mentioning too that because 35 days has passed since the last garbage pickup, the litter quickly clogged many storm sewers which led to atypical flooding given the actual intensity and duration of the rainfall. It would have been better had this rainfall occurred a day after the strike ended and the street litter cleaned up.

You're right, the last real deluge of rain was the Sunday of Pride, which was still pre-strike. July has been 'dry' for the most part, we've been getting rain, but not significant storms like the past few days, just enough to make the whole month feel dull and rainy. The rain this week really has given the city a nice scrubbing, and definitely feels fresher. However, with the heat coming this week, particularly on Tuesday, the moisture and heat is really gonna be a putrid combination for the decomposing trash heaps.

The amounts are drastically different all over the GTA. For example a couple of weeks ago, the huge storm in Mississauga wasn't felt in Toronto. So that changes rain totals for Mississauga. Some storms grazed northern Toronto, while downtown got nothing, and vice versa.
This is because of all of the cold lows we've seen spinning over central Ontario, bring sporadic small storm cells through all over southern Ontario.

August 1st Temperature Anomaly Outlook:
sfe1t_s.gif

Precipitation Anomaly Outlook:
sfe1p_s.gif

City of Toronto
3:14 PM EDT Tuesday 4 August 2009
Severe thunderstorm watch for
City of Toronto continued

Conditions are favourable for severe thunderstorms to develop this afternoon with damaging winds..Large hail and brief torrential downpours.

This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail and damaging winds.

Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements. If threatening weather approaches take immediate safety precautions.

---

We have marble sized hail and torrential rain here in Mississauga.
This is insane! End of the world part 2.
The water is bubbling out of the storm sewers. Okay bubbling is the wrong word. It's flying 4 ft out of the surface of the road.

Last edited:
Kitchener - Cambridge - Region of Waterloo
3:40 PM EDT Tuesday 4 August 2009
Tornado warning for
Kitchener - Cambridge - Region of Waterloo upgraded from severe thunderstorm warning
Weather radar is showing tornadic signatures with a couple of severe thunderstorms over the regions.
This is a warning that severe thunderstorms with tornadoes are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions. Take immediate safety precautions.

Radar shows close to 3 inches fell at the Island airport so far today... was quite the heavy rainfall we had.

Back