News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.3K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 557     0 

The Weather

Forgot to post the 3 month forecast for temperature and precip for the month of July...

Cooler than normal expected for us for the next 3 months

sfe1t_s.gif

Near normal precip expected.

sfe1p_s.gif

Oh happy day.

Best. Summer. Ever.

Mild, hardly any humid days, the central air hardly ever kicks in.
Yeah, I'm with you ... and have hardly had to water the tomatoes. And the grass is wonderfully green!

And with the garbage sitting on the porch ... I'm quite happy it isn't 30 degrees out there!

Cool July temperatures...

Everyone: This month so far has been the coolest early July that I can ever recall!
In my area the high temperature(Islip,LI) on July 9th(yesterday)was 66 degrees F-a record low maximum temp for the date.
We had low temps in the low 50s F on the overnight and today the weather was perfect-mid 70s F with low humidity.
It was mentioned that this weather would be normal for late April/early May or late September perhaps.
Anyway-On July 9,1936 NYC at Central Park recorded its highest temperature in weather-record history: 106 degrees F.
This time of the year-from around July 4th to around the end of the month is usually the hottest per capita days that NYC has-the peak of Summer.
It was 35 degrees cooler in NYC yesterday from that record on average...
Weather thoughts from LI MIKE

Last edited:
Was the storm in Toronto this morning bad? It was insane here in Mississauga. There are several blocks of telephone poles and trees down on Cawthra Rd. There were huge tree branches all over my street.
The wind was so bad, and the rain so heavy you couldn't see more than 50 ft.

Was the storm in Toronto this morning bad? It was insane here in Mississauga. There are several blocks of telephone poles and trees down on Cawthra Rd. There were huge tree branches all over my street.

I was up around 10am, a little bit of wind but nothing unusual by any means. There was some thunder but I didn't see any lightening strikes. And after 9 days of forecasting rain, it finally rained late last night/this morning! Hallelujah! By 2:00-2:30pm the sky cleared and out came the sun, despite the forecast of rain and thunderstorms throughout the afternoon and evening (at Toronto Island Airport). The rest of the day was beautiful.

Although temperatures will continue to be well below normal (22-24C), we're looking at a mostly sunny week for a change, except Wednesday. Here's hoping it's accurate for a change!

The thunder was VERY loud.

a1947a6c409994604a7b69f18a74.jpeg
8da3de044531baf182886c6dbcf0.jpeg

City hammered by storms
Julia Le, Jul 11, 2009 - 10:43 AM

A severe thunderstorm with high winds, heavy rain and lightning has caused a bit of chaos in Mississauga this morning.
Several traffic lights out throughout the city, power outages in south Mississauga and some road closures where power lines have fallen have slowed traffic down.
Roads have been closed at Cawthra Rd. and Atwater Ave. and much of its surrounding area because trees and hydro poles and power lines have fallen onto the streets.
Wilson Dubay, a Cawthra Park resident, witnessed the whole thing nearby with his family.
He said the lights started dimming in his house and he started hearing crackling noises from outside at around 9:45 a.m.
"Sparks were flying everywhere," said Dubay, when he looked out his window and saw telephone lines coming down. "It was so windy and stuff that it seemed like the trees were coming down with it onto the house so I gathered the kids and my brother and we ran out of the house."
He adds, his family ran for shelter in their van and watched everything unfold.
"It was like a light show all around us," he said. "The thundering noise was just unreal."
Police say about 30 hydro poles were knocked down during this morning's storm. They expect Cawthra Rd. to be closed between South Service Rd. and Third St. for several days for repairs.
Peel police has notified residents that the scattered wires could be dangerous.
Meanwhile in Streetsville, firefighters battled a blaze on McFarren Blvd. They were called to the scene just before 10 a.m. this morning with reports of a chimney fire caused by lightening.
There are also reports trees that have fallen on Floradale Dr., Louis Dr. and Goodison Ave.
Environment Canada has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for most of Southern Ontario, including Mississauga, Brampton, Burlington, Oakville, Milton, Hamilton, St. Catharines, Niagara and Windsor.
Thunderstorms are expected to move into the city for much of the day. Winds in the city could gust as high as 70 kilometres an hour or more in the Toronto area.
— with files from Steven Der-Garabedian

Source

Weather summary for all of southern Ontario and
The national Capital region
Issued by Environment Canada Toronto at 9:32 AM EDT Wednesday 15 July

Updated list of Ontario tornadoes for 2009.
-------------------------------------------------------------
==weather event discussion==

During the course of the past weeks Environment Canada has
continued to investigate occurrences of severe weather across
Ontario. These investigations have led to two more events being
categorized as tornadoes. The first was a tornado which occurred in
the southern part of Guelph on the afternoon of April 25th. This
tornado was rated as a Fujita scale zero event with peak winds of
around 110 km/h. The tornado had a path of intermittent damage about
1.5 km long and about 50 metres wide.
Upon further investigation a second event has also been added
to this year's tornado list. It was also a Fujita scale zero tornado
and occurred in the community of Verona in south Frontenac which is
about 30 km north of Kingston. This tornado occurred during the
afternoon of July 3rd. The tornado only existed briefly doing minor
damage to items around a home in this area.
There were a number of damage reports received from different
areas across southern Ontario from storms that occurred during both
the morning and the evening of Saturday July 11th in places such as
Listowel, Mississauga, Oshawa and bailieboro (south of Peterborough).
At this point it appears that the damage done by these storms was the
result of microbursts or powerful wind gusts with speeds approaching
110 km/h.
With the addition of the above mentioned 2 tornadoes, this
brings the total of tornadoes in Ontario for the 2009 season to 7.
There were 12 tornadoes in Ontario in 2008. Ontario normally gets 11
tornadoes each season. The summer severe weather season usually runs
from late April to early October. The list below provides a
chronologial order of the 7 tornadoes to date. The Fujita scale runs
from f0 (weakest) to f5 (strongest). F1 winds are between 120 and 170
km/h and f2 winds are between 180 and 240 km/h.

Date location event description

April 25th Windsor f0 tornado

April 25th Ottawa f0 tornado

April 25th Guelph f0 tornado

June 25th avon (Elgin county) f2 tornado

June 25th Leamington f1 tornado

July 3rd Verona (30 km north of Kingston) f0 tornado

July 9th Lac Seul (south of Ear Falls) f2 tornado

A tornado in Guelph? WTF? There was one about 5 years ago that ripped through the outskirts of Fergus. You can still follow its path by the broken trees. It did quite a bit of damage to a few houses, but insurance seems to have taken care of them, as they all sport shiny new roofs.

Interestingly, the storm Saturday morning was not nearly as severe as in Mississauga, it would seem. In Rosedale it rained like heck, and it was so dark that the streetlights came back on, but there was very little wind.

So... does anyone care to wager when summer might start? It's already half over and we've had no more than two weeks of decent weather. This is really getting depressing.

I love this weather. Great for cycling (not too hot) and great for photography as well. Unfortunately, less scantily-clad women, so there is a trade off.

Back