News   Apr 23, 2024
 315     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 898     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 496     0 

The Toronto Tree Thread

Unsure what your budget is, but LEAF offers a tree planting service: https://www.yourleaf.org/toronto-homeowners
I tried them, but they needed a large, IIRC 10ft clearance from any fence or structure, which is impossible in Cabbagetown where many backyards are 15-18-ft wide. Meanwhile Mother Nature has successfully grown trees on fence lines, below and through overhead utility lines, etc. Of course I don’t want a future sewer rupture, but I plan to plant this oak near my fence line so there will be overhang into adjacent yards, just as we overlap into each other now with trees.

I tried them, but they needed a large, IIRC 10ft clearance from any fence or structure, which is impossible in Cabbagetown where many backyards are 15-18-ft wide. Meanwhile Mother Nature has successfully grown trees on fence lines, below and through overhead utility lines, etc. Of course I don’t want a future sewer rupture, but I plan to plant this oak near my fence line so there will be overhang into adjacent yards, just as we overlap into each other now with trees.
Really, even with the DIY option? I thought they'd basically sell you the tree and give you a consultation with an arborist as a convenience. I'm surprised that they'd refuse to sell you a tree if you can't provide 10ft clearance. If that's the case, that'll complicate my backyard tree planting plans, since my property is only ~18 ft wide.

Really, even with the DIY option? I thought they'd basically sell you the tree and give you a consultation with an arborist as a convenience. I'm surprised that they'd refuse to sell you a tree if you can't provide 10ft clearance. If that's the case, that'll complicate my backyard tree planting plans, since my property is only ~18 ft wide.
It’s not an over the phone consultation. They sent an employee to my house and looked over the backyard, and told me there wasn’t anywhere it could be permitted because my yard is only about 16 feet wide with fences, deck and overhead wires, etc. I imagine they refuse most of Cabbagetown, one of the leafiest neighbourhoods in downtown east.

My Cabbagetown backyard is deemed too small for the city’s free tree program, so I want to buy a small oak tree. I had an oak seedling growing in my backyard that I‘d transplanted from my mother in law‘s Beach(es) house. I kept that thing alive under a glass vase all winter, and watched it grow to about 30 cm this summer. Only to have a skunk dig it up and eat the roots.

I‘d like to plant a larger oak tree, perhaps a metre tall or more. Where can I get one? Sheridan Nurseries is way too pricey.

How far do you want to travel?

This nursery is excellent, great prices, but its almost out to Ptbo!

5ft tall Red Oak, 2 gallon pot, $12, 3ft, 1 gallon pot $10; they also have Bur Oak and White Oak.

But you'll burn more than the price of the tree in gas!

Clearances are for you to judge; I will say though, make sure you have enough sun for an Oak. They don't do well in shade.

I visited https://shop.beechnursery.com/product-category/garden-centre-trees/ today and their staff was great, very knowledgeable. A good sized tree is about $250 - $300. Unfortunately all they had were Regal Prince oaks, which is not what I wanted for shade. I like oaks because they feed the animals but don't produce wasp-inviting fruit.

This is why we can't have nice things...........or as many living trees as we ought to:

Key excerpt from the end:

1629816378104.png

For the record, you do not plant trees in August, in Toronto, unless you're an idiot, or you want to pay to replace it.

A report to the next Infrastructure and Environment Ctte on October 26th is a positive.

Its recommending award of a sole-source contract to Forests Ontario to help ensure a supply of native trees from local seed sources.

This is important in that it:

- Helps ensure genetic diversity of trees
- Is more likely to supply native trees that are suited to our local climate.

Red Oak, for instance, grows as far south as North Carolina. But a Red Oak from there is adapted to a different climate, with warmer winters, and longer days in winter, and later onset of fall.

A tree planted here which is poorly adapted to local conditions may find it more difficult to survive and may have less successful seed as well.

The award is for a 10 year contract.

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-171782.pdf

Is there a good book about identifying trees in Toronto / Southern Ontario? Particularly something current and readily available (gift buying :) ) Appreciate any feedback!

Is there a good book about identifying trees in Toronto / Southern Ontario? Particularly something current and readily available (gift buying :) ) Appreciate any feedback!

Would have answered sooner, but didn't see the post!

Trees in Canada is probably the gold standard overall.

Obviously, this includes trees from the west which are not found in Ontario.

I included the Book City link above, but you can get it through Chapters/Indigo as well. However, stock seems quite limited, I only see a few floating around in York region.

So you'll want to check on timing.

This book (Trees of Ontario) is also good, but not in print anymore so you have to find an old one online, its also a bit dated, being from 2001

Note that I haven't dealt w/the site below, just including it so you can see an image and description of the book.

Last edited:
Reactions: vic
Would have answered sooner, but didn't see the post!

Trees in Canada is probably the gold standard overall.

Obviously, this includes trees from the west which are not found in Ontario.

I included the Book City link above, but you can get it through Chapters/Indigo as well. However, stock seems quite limited, I only see a few floating around in York region.

So you'll want to check on timing.

This book (Trees of Ontario is also good, but not in print anymore so you have to find an old one online, its also a bit dated, being from 2001)

Note that I haven't dealt w/the site below, just including it so you can see an image and description of the book.

Thanks so much! They have one copy of TiC at Square One so I may be able to snag that today since I'm out here. ToO looks familiar too - I feel like I've seen it around at my in-laws or something.

-Vic

Not quite Toronto, but still too close for comfort:

So, I had a discussion with a 'pro' about Oak Wilt and what the status is here and the risks.

The gist is this:

Probably already present in Ontario, but not yet documented.

Its on the radar of professionals/gov't

Advice already being given not to prune Oak Trees non-essentially (safety) during the warmer weather (something like May-Sept? but don't hold me to that)....its the season during which the insects that vector the disease can fly.

Will likely be a serious issue here.

Won't be as bad as Ash Borer but will be very serious, across all species of Oak, but probably Red Oak slightly moreso based on evidence to date.

Question is likely when, not whether it gets here.

Control measures may be futile.....or unacceptable (large scale cutting of infected Oak, then removing all root system and associated soil as that can be a source of transmission)

Options are being considered.

Correct.

Yes, pretty close to Windsor is the northern limit.

Native Range Maps below:

1641915842658-png.374233

1641915875244-png.374234

Both of the above images retrieved from: https://www.registrelep-sararegistr...hicot_fevier_ktcky_coffeetree_prop_0614_e.pdf

It is not, and has never been native to anywhere on the shores of Lake Ontario.

It is classified as non-native by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.
This comment in a development thread piqued my interest.

Given that trees are still migrating northward after the last ice age (a process likely to accelerate with climate change) is it such a concern that Kentucky Coffee-trees (already native to southern Ontario) are planted in the Toronto area?

What are the ecological pros/cons for anthropogenic acceleration of the northward migration of tree species?

Back