News   Jul 12, 2024
 856     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 771     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
now that the hoarding is coming down, when will the rest of ads be going up, when will I see that, hopefully, massive video display?

I still can't believe that this hulking pile of petrified turd was actually designed by someone - that is, someone actually sat down, whipped out a pencil/pen/mouse/whatever, and put some (even if it was half-assed) effort into this thing... and got paid for it. This isn't hack architecture - its revolting architecture. The fact that it came out of someone's brain is truly a depressing statement on humanity - or at least some segments of it.

I still can't believe that this hulking pile of petrified turd was actually designed by someone - that is, someone actually sat down, whipped out a pencil/pen/mouse/whatever, and put some (even if it was half-assed) effort into this thing... and got paid for it. This isn't hack architecture - its revolting architecture. The fact that it came out of someone's brain is truly a depressing statement on humanity - or at least some segments of it.
Hmmm..."hulking pile of petrified turd"..."truly a depressing statement on humanity - or at least some segments of it"...
260021_3.JPG

You have it very correct. Bottom line: this is cheap and it's crap (and those plastic fans prove it). Even the ads appear to be having a difficult time saving it. (The renderings show some lighting decorations around the ads. They now do not appear to be arriving any time soon.)

Ouch, there's some real venomous comments & hatred is growing here! I think we're getting pretty much what was promised. Fans aside, I don't see much of a difference between the rendering and what's completed so far. In fact it's becoming more true to the rendering than most projects I see go up.

Compare:

It does not matter in the slightest what the building looks like so long as it's smothered in ads. However, if it's covered by fake fans...

It does not matter in the slightest what the building looks like so long as it's smothered in ads. However, if it's covered by fake fans...

The rendering has that section with the fake fans.

Why are everybody's panties in a bunch over this? It's a retail building with billboards! Seems somehow vaguely appropriate for Yonge/Dundas, imo. Besides, the tight retail facade along Yonge looks fine to me, unlike the block-killing Yonge Street facade of the Eaton Centre, the massing is good, and we now finally have a strong, hard north edge to Dundas Square along with a new landmark for the centre of town, no matter how cheesey (this is Yonge/Dundas after all). What's the big deal? The crowds of tourists, shoppers and passers-by all seem to be enjoying the square, the fountains, the atmosphere, the energy of the place... in fact, I don't think I've ever noticed anybody standing there shaking their head in disbelief at TLS's fans, or the fact that the building is too garish, or whatever else we get caught up on here. In the final analysis, once finished TLS will add to the already established character of the area, rather than detract from it. Not too bad at all. Now we can hope for the dismantling of Torch (a truly unmitigated failure) and a couple of cool highrise buildings for the eastern edge of the square.

The rendering has that section with the fake fans.

I thought they were going to be real fans - not absurd fake ones - perhaps needed to cool down the insane amount of electric ads.

edit - I also expected neon and video screens...based on everything so far, I'm sure there'll just be plain billboards that only animate the square when they fall onto pedestrians.

I never liked this concept, but I at least thought that it was going to be cutting edge displays with wrap around LED and holograms. I fear this is going to look more like honest Eds.

Back