News   Jul 12, 2024
 911     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 815     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Is this were I can rant?

Already this isn't correct though, is it? Where's the curved LED ticker?
What's most annoying about all this is that all these rendering seem to blatantly lie. Did you ever see the adverts for Be Bloor? Nothing like the rendering other than they were both slabs--not that this project is as bad. I guess "Artist Rendition" just means "False Advertising". These developers should not be able to blatantly lie like this--and they do know what they are doing. We're is the accountability?

What's most annoying about all this is that all these rendering seem to blatantly lie. Did you ever see the adverts for Be Bloor? Nothing like the rendering other than they were both slabs--not that this project is as bad. I guess "Artist Rendition" just means "False Advertising". These developers should not be able to blatantly lie like this--and they do know what they are doing. We're is the accountability?

According to 'insiders' the curved video board is coming (starting this weekend)...re: curved ticker, who cares about a ticker. I don't understand what value a ticker ads, especially with a large HD Video board (above) dominating the square. In addition the actual elevations on the website (plans) appear to be consistent with what has been built.

There are always changes between concept and actual construction…even acclaimed projects like MoZo (an A+) went though material changes (west façade) between concept and as built construction.

Looking at the City's approved signage by-law for this building almost every sign area can be fixed (static) electronic / moving etc. The market (advertisers) will dictate how 'spectacular' these signs end up being...hopefully they will change every few months and get more and more 'spectacular'. Times Square and all other media node examples didn't happen overnight.

The ads in the above rendering are not indicative of actual advertisers, they're only used to give design and scale to the ad spaces. Artist Rendition is just that, it's not a legal document. Finally the LED tickers (they're there, look again), lots of pretty bright ads & flickering things are coming. Patience.....

More here -
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/committees/te/te060613/it054.pdf

http://spacing.ca/wire/?p=858

---
Thanks to SeanTrans for the photo above, I'll ask next time! :)

Yeah, the hysteria in this thread is getting a bit silly. It's pretty much what was promised and considering how horrible Torch turned out, I'm relieved that Metropolis looks like it will be tolerable.

The layout of the ads can be seen here:

http://metropolis.ca/pdf/metropolisElevations.pdf

I agree. I just hope something is done with the west side on Yonge...though I'm not getting my hopes up considering it looks just as it did in the rendering.

The ads in the above rendering are not indicative of actual advertisers... Artist Rendition is just that, it's not a legal document. Finally the LED tickers (they're there, look again)...

I'm looking again and I still see some PenEquity back-lit sign. I seen that the renderings say 'not indicative of actual advertisers', I'm not talking about the advertisers I'm talking about the form and materials. If these developers are allowed to cheap out when comes building we are just going to have that, a cheap city. I should clarify that I am talking generally and not specifically to this project as I do see it's not competed--but my hopes are not high.

Things that may improve the current state of TLS

1. LED Video Screen ( if it's huge - it's amazing)
2. Backlighting/Floodlighting on the backlit signs..- (it may actually be like the rendering)
3. Store Signs ( hey these restarants need to put up their own signage, and some of them may be worth the additional year wait for them to go up)

4. Toronto Life Square Sign ( I'm assuming this will go where the Panasonic sign is in the renderings; you never know it may get interesting , before it gets any worse; and trust me I dont think it can get any worse.)

Speaking of Toronto Life, my library has the entire set back to 1966 (Mrs. Tubby Black on the very first cover, taken on the islands with only one tower of the TD Centre in the background). And Harold Town's columns were a riot. US, any insights about him?

You mean when she was everyone elses? Remarkably similar to how she looks now, I would imagine, just less obviously taut and ratcheted up.

The ads in the above rendering are not indicative of actual advertisers... Artist Rendition is just that, it's not a legal document. Finally the LED tickers (they're there, look again)...

I'm looking again and I still see some PenEquity back-lit sign. I seen that the renderings say 'not indicative of actual advertisers', I'm not talking about the advertisers I'm talking about the form and materials. If these developers are allowed to cheap out when comes building we are just going to have that, a cheap city. I should clarify that I am talking generally and not specifically to this project as I do see it's not competed--but my hopes are not high.

I'm pretty sure that the Pen Equity sign is temporary. Many buildings put up temporary signs indicating who the developer is, general contractor, window suppliers etc etc.

The size and type of signage has all been approved by the City. It'll be all flashy & cool when it's complete. The upper west facing side above HMV is unfortunate but it's barely visible from Yonge which is good. I'm a little frustrated too, it's been such an eyesore for so long so it's tempting to criticize what we are seeing now. For now, try to envision all those tacky lights, video screens, neon & ads and imagine wonderfully tasteless things to come.

http://metropolis.ca/pdf/metropolisElevations.pdf

Attachments

• Sign.JPG
    Sign.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 388

Back