News   Jul 15, 2024
 456     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 607     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 574     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
My brother who's not of the plans for Toronto Life Square calls it Life Sq. also even after I told him that it would be named after the magazine: Toronto Life.

It's natural for people to abbreviate. The city name will be dropped in popular lingo I'm sure.

He points out why it makes absolutely no sense to call this "Life Square."

"Times Square" makes absolutely no sense unless you put it in the context of "New York Times".
Yet it is the most famous square (imo) in the world.
So "Life Square" why not?
If it becomes an entity unto itself, like "Times Square", it doesn't matter.

"Times Square" makes absolutely no sense unless you put it in the context of "New York Times".
Yet it is the most famous square (imo) in the world.
If it becomes an entity unto itself, like "Times Square", it doesn't matter.

Times Square is named after the paper the New York Times, which was affectionally known as the "Times" (much like the Toronto Star is known as, and calls itself, the "Star").

What is Life Square named after? Life?

Why not? Because it's insipid. It's a sappy name. It's the kind of name that'd only come naturally to well-meaning unseasoned virgin male twerpy teenage dipsticks who think the building it belongs to is real snazzy architecture with all its signs and everything.

At least, as a derivative of "Toronto Life". Now, if the name were Shoppers Drug Mart Square, "Life Square" might seem borderline clever and borderline credible...

Tewder, the name is Toronto Life Square, not Life Square.

icon4.gif
Dundas Square
icon4.gif

A ton of posts on what the name will be?? We don't have any determining factor other then what it is actually called. Toronto Life Square & Dundas Square, respectfully. After a few years the public will decide what slang term it will take. Who knows, several years later it may change again in the lingo of the time.

Maybe it will come to be known as the "AMC at the YD"! or the "Dung at Dundas", considering what many forum members feel about it. I personally like it. If it was super-fine architecture I would be upset when the ads went up all over it. This way its strictly about the ads! Not messing up a nice existing building.

Do we have any updates on what is happening with the tri-vision? It seems stalled.

People say it's not about the architecture, it's about the ads.
Well, the ads could be presented in a MUCH better way. That is *my* problem with this development.
It's all so disorganized looking. And the backlit signs with the big borders around them... ugly!

People say it's not about the architecture, it's about the ads.
Well, the ads could be presented in a MUCH better way. That is *my* problem with this development.
It's all so disorganized looking. And the backlit signs with the big borders around them... ugly!

I thought that too when I first saw the signage plan. In time I'm sure some of the backlits will be upgraded as advertisers see the value of the location and demand more advanced technology to advertise on. Think of the backlits as low-cost starter units

My view on this bit of architecture is that we need to wait for it's completion to fully grasp how it will look and feel. It's a bit like setting up a stereo, when you have all the elements but the sub-woofer it's less then impressive. Once all is said and done it really will be a landmark (though it kind of already is), and when CITY TV moves in like stated above the ads will change to more dynamic media forms. This will kick start the area I'm sure into a 24 hour time square kind of destination in the city. This really isn't about the architecture, it's about being a physical alter to us all being corporate whores. We all hate ads but will gladly stand in awe as the signs flash and tell us what to buy and how to dress. We'll soon forget about the battle ship gray beast that lay beneath the neon lights. And shoot me now, but all the great cities of the world have somewhere for the masses to go and get bombarded by mass media. Eat your heart out Yellowknife.

Back