News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 380     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Future Shop until the mid 1990s were dank, dark, crummy stores where you had to be careful not to pick up outdated merchandise. They resembled bigger Factory Direct stores, and the Yonge Street store is one of the last of this era of stores.

I'm not quite sure how they quickly transformed into what they are now, but big electronics, like books, is sadly monopolistic here, through a false duopoly set up. If someone else - say, if Circuit City set up some real stores, not the old Radio Shack dives, we'd be getting the better prices and more up-to-date stuff.

What to become of the old A&A/FS store? That parcel, combined with Sam's, would be a prime site.

FutureShop underwent their rapid transformation because the chain was purchased by Best Buy. The quality increase was really evident both in-store, online and with their ad campaigns. It just goes to show how far behind Canadian retail often is.

Best Buy will supposedly change all stores to the Best Buy brand eventually, but they don't seem in any rush to do so. The Future Shop brand is fairly strong in Canada.

My understanding was that the Best Buy and Future Shop business models were complimentary, which is why they can build one of each practically next to each other on this stretch.

Come to think of it, I might have read that here.

FutureShop underwent their rapid transformation because the chain was purchased by Best Buy. The quality increase was really evident both in-store, online and with their ad campaigns. It just goes to show how far behind Canadian retail often is.

It really started to change a few years before the Best Buy takeover, I'm pretty sure - they built the new concept stores in big-box centres, rather than the old smaller stores on furniture-and-auto dealer streets as they were on Dundas in Mississauga, on Queen in Brampton, Kennedy in Scarborough, etc.

The fact that Future Shop really sucked, but that they expanded so quickly, before the BB takeover, still astounds me.

Yes, the two formats are supposed to be different. BB is supposedly the higher-end of the stores. But they both have the exact same sales at the exact same time. A month ago, both had the same sales on for digital cameras. Then once the NHL playoffs started, both had the same HD television sale. Part of the problem is that they have lowest-price guarantees, so they can’t undercut each other, even if having both stores in the same area isn’t exactly self-cannibalization. I don’t doubt both stores (Best Buy at Eaton Centre and Future Shop in Metropolis) will do well even being so close. Heartland in Mississauga has both, and there are other places.

Actually BB is the lower end of the two, with Future Shop focusing in on higher end tv's etc. BB is the common person's (and slightly more geared to female customers than FS) store for the masses.

It really started to change a few years before the Best Buy takeover, I'm pretty sure - they built the new concept stores in big-box centres, rather than the old smaller stores on furniture-and-auto dealer streets as they were on Dundas in Mississauga, on Queen in Brampton, Kennedy in Scarborough, etc.

The fact that Future Shop really sucked, but they expanded so quickly, before the BB takeover, is a surprise.

You're right, I think they did expand more just before Best Buy took over, but you can still see a fairly substantial quality increase after Best Buy came into the picture - both on their website and in store.

Their expansion isn't too surprising pre-Best Buy isn't too surprising...they did very well in the West and were very aggressive with their expansion plans. They even tried the US market for a while.

Remember when Future Shop almost bought Chapters?
I'm sure that Future Shop is counting the days until they can move out of their existing Yonge Street store. It's quite an embarrassment.

Taller Better took this picture. (SSC)

Look at how many indoor/outdoor cafes will be in this thing. So nice.

april3007yongedundasipj0.jpg

"Thing" is the right word. What a large piece of non-architecture.

I know that the theatres run along the back, above the parking garage. But what's going to occupy the inside of the grey, windowless billboard space above the 4th floor along the Dundas side?

I'm ok with this "thing" except the Dundas/Yonge corner. Wish it's something exciting or dramatic, instead, just one of those boring, standard billboard, sigh...

But what's going to occupy the inside of the grey, windowless billboard space above the 4th floor along the Dundas side?

As stated, office space. The windows are on the other side, facing north. It's still better than a media tower, IMO.

Back