News   Aug 12, 2024
 169     1 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 506     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Re: Metropolis

it's not as bad as i had feared. i'll wait and see how it turns out but i think it's better than the business building - which isn't saying much.

ETA: 500th post. woo hoo.

Metropolis - why do you hate it?

I understand that Metropolis isn't exactly the most stunning beauty in the world, however I have troubles understanding why everyone hates it so much. To me its kind of a cool concept - a times square for Toronto - and I think the building will fall into the back drop when the ads are incorporated. I could be wrong, I haven't read a lot about the building I just don't understand the hatred for this building. Can anyone change my young mind about this project?

I think most people, myself included, are worried only about the Gould and Victoria sides. A big, boring and hulking box would be a huge intrusion.

I'm worried that the Dundas Square side won't have enough ads and glitz.

It really doesn't look too bad so far. But I'd reserve judgment until it's complete. Jack Astor's would be great. I love that place.

I think it looks atrocious and am surprised at the meek response to it by many of you.

I agree!

This building is one ugly MoFo. Stupid waste of energy advertising on one side and metal sheets on the other.

Based on what little has been completed so far its not that it looks bad per se, or that things were poorly executed like they were on Torch, the problem is really more one of scale. The building is way out of scale to Victoria and Gould, overwhelming both streets (but moreso Victoria).

I think the reason the back looks ugly is because of the old parking garage's present. The whole thing just looks so disjointed (is that a word?).

I wonder...why didn't they get rid of that parking garage?

If I were the boss...

1. knock down the garage/bookstore

2. dig the underground incl the garage/bookstore undergound, to make it bigger, and have the parking there (similar to Dundas Sq) and move the stores/food court one level up (since below level 3? is empty anyway).

3. in this case, more stores will be on street and upper levels. What stores want to be at that below anyway?

4. bookstore can be moved to the empty slot above Salad King/that new Hot Dog store. Or the same spot, but new store.

Now that since things are the way it is...

The back is horrible esp the new Ryerson building/skating rink is so nice. What can be changed?

Well, I don't know...maybe put some movie billboards? Add a big screen similar to the Bays'?

Something spectacular in good old fashioned neon, in rich deep colours, flashing on and off or pulsing, might be a welcome addition. One can only take so much of these big screen ads, with their slick production values - though they can be amusing when the technology goes haywire as it occasionally does.

If I were the boss...
1. knock down the garage/bookstore
<snip>

It took 9 years to get what we're looking at off the ground! The hulking mass on Victoria Street is a done deal, let's give the rest of the project time to develop & see how it turns out. It's not the The Crystal and there were missed opportunities here but it's still an exciting development which will truly rejuvenate the area in short order

one new pic added at the metropolis website:

1174750299.jpg

Ironically, the best thing that Metropolis' completion can add to Dundas Sq. is the removal of the blue hoarding. It will be like cleaning your room after a long standing mess.

I can't wait for them to finish with this. It's already looking great! Bring on the billboards!

Back