News   Aug 12, 2024
 494     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 395     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 438     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I was by several sites on Friday snapping photos and stopped by Metropolis. The Victoria street side of may not be quite as nasty as I thought. There are about 8 rows of faux windows which match the staircase windows mostly from ground to roofline which help break up what would have been a huge blank wall.

Next time I head out to take some snaps I'll remember to insert an SD card first....

Did anybody notice they closed down the GAP at the corner?

Louroz

Nope, not until you mentioned it. I did hear they're putting some american store there, I forget the name of it. I'm glad gap is going out of there, they have a large one in the eaton centre, pointless there's one on y/d sq I find, plus gap is garbage nowadays, oddly the gap stores in the US are better than here with the clothing line.

The Gap has always been garbage. You couldn't find blander clothes if you tried.

The whole aesthetic problem with Metropolis is that it needs signage like a junkie needs a fix; the needle & the damage done, that sorta thing. Otherwise, it's grotesque, like a socket without its glass eye.

For all the knocks the former pile o'pipes Eaton Centre Yonge St facade got, one must admit that it made aesthetic sense even without the signage it was designed to accomodate. (Though yes, it may have had the opposite problem of being too architecturally insistent for signage; it isn't like everyone's Markle Brothers, y'know.)

I hear the store is 'Forever 21'.

This is from their website:

"Celebrated by many style conscious and trend-savvy shoppers, Forever 21 has quickly become the source for the most current fashions at the greatest value.

Forever 21 is growing quickly, featuring new and exciting store environments, a constant flow of fun and creative clothing designs and the accessories to make your look come together at the right price.

A phenomenon in the fashion world, Forever 21 provides shoppers with an unprecedented selection of today's fashions, always changing and always in style."

www.forever21.com

They are a welcome addition and will work well with H&M, adidas, american apparel and Urban Outfitters. It's going to be a great holiday season on Yonge Street!

When should this building be ready for the first tenants.. I've heard that the tenants will be phased in over 1 year. With the last moving in summer 2008.

Cal, the first tenants are expected to be moving in by this summer... so soon.

Thanks Tuscani.

Next Question, does anyone know about the Penex request to have the signage on the Yonge and Dundas frontages modified so newer "advertising technologies" can be employed for the billboards?

Article found here

spacing.ca/wire/?p=858

Proposed spacing

dundassq-proposed-dundas.jpg

dundassq-proposed-yonge.jpg

Currently Approved Spacing

1approved-dundas.gif

3approved-yonge.gif

^
If you go to the bottom of that page you linked, someone responds and says the changes were approved.

Personally, I don't get the deal of these community groups fighting to keep old approved signage, when the newer approved is less square footage.

Hmm. You'll notice that the 'proposed' signage - not the 'approved' scheme - is what's been depicted in the renderings that have been circulating for over a year.

I think someone here predicted the naming rights. According to Torontoist it will be known as the Toronto Life Centre.

I agree with them, the name isn't that bad. It's catchy, people will use it (unlike say, Scotiabank Theatre) Though I'll still know it as Metropolis or that ad-filled pile at Dundas Square.

Back