News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 3K     4 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 748     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Looks to me like they will be installing yet more cheap backlit poster advertising, and not enough high-quality LED screens or even neon signage... shame!

I have yet to see any official announcement about a name change and the web article itself provides no source for the rumour about "Toronto Life Centre." I am going to wait for somebody to 'officially' announce this sucker.

EMBARGO: APRIL 11, 2007, 11 A.M.

Toronto, Ontario (April 11, 2007) – The new world-class entertainment complex
opening in downtown Toronto will be named Toronto Life Square. Developed by
PenEquity Management Corporation and referred to as Metropolis during initial
construction, the multi-use complex is scheduled to open in phases, beginning fall 2007.

Toronto Life Square will dominate the northeast corner of Yonge and Dundas Streets.
With 500,000 square feet of indoor space, the building will also feature approximately
20,000 square feet of spectacular outdoor signage, including Canada’s largest high-
definition video display, measuring 30 by 52 feet, and the world’s largest contoured
tri-vision. The video display will be enhanced by 34 surrounding video panels that can be
used individually to create marquee effects or a display area of approximately 2,400
square feet.

“We are thrilled to have acquired the naming rights for what will be an energetic addition
to Toronto’s landscape,†says Tony Gagliano, Executive Chairman and CEO of St.
Joseph Communications. “Toronto Life Square, with its dynamic network of digital and
mechanical screens both inside and out, will create an exciting, unparalleled experience
for Torontonians and visitors to the city.â€

“Toronto Life Square is located at the heart of Canada’s busiest intersection and
Toronto’s number one visitor destination,†says Sharon McAuley, Vice-President and
Group Publisher of Toronto Life. “Fifty-six million visitors frequent the immediate area
each year, and over 20 million subway passenger trips start or end in the Yonge-Dundas
area.â€

Life inside Toronto Life Square will include a unique mix of entertainment, lifestyle,
office and shopping opportunities. These will be accompanied by an integrated digital
signage network including strategically positioned video and projection screens. While
each display will have the ability to be programmed independently, the system will
enable coordinated content across all screens to deliver a dominant, synchronized
message.

Toronto Life, in partnership with sister publications through St. Joseph Media and with
technical and creative support from Alchemy (a St. Joseph Content company), will
develop and produce special content for the integrated digital signage network and
special live programming throughout the year, establishing Toronto Life Square as
Toronto’s most exciting destination and meeting place.

“With a blend of flagship tenants and dynamic media, Toronto Life Square will become
the cornerstone of Canada’s most vibrant intersection,†says Glenn Miller, Chairman,
PenEquity Management Corporation. “In order to maximize the impact of the project’s
retail and media components, it was important to choose a partner who could enhance
our customers’ experience. With this iconic name, a fixture of Toronto’s culture, Toronto
Life Square will accomplish our vision.â€

About Toronto Life
Toronto Life magazine is owned by St. Joseph Media, a division of St. Joseph
Communications. Each month, Toronto Life offers readers a dynamic and unique blend
of authoritative service writing and award-winning journalism designed to enhance their
experience of the city. Toronto Life publishes 12 issues per year, including 10
CityGuides and two annual newsstand compendiums, Eating & Drinking and Shopping.
Torontolife.com integrates feature journalism and reviews from the magazine with
exclusive on-line articles and search engines. Other brands in the St. Joseph Media
portfolio include FASHION Magazine, Wish, WeddingBells, Mariage Québec, Canadian
Family, WHERE Canada, Ottawa Magazine and Gardening Life. Visit
www.stjosephmedia.com or www.torontolife.com.

About St. Joseph Communications
St. Joseph Communications is Canada’s leading provider of integrated communications
solutions. Its four business platforms—in content, print, documents and media—offer
innovative communications solutions in such areas as package and store design; branding;
digital signage; architectural way finding; photography; digital, sheet-fed and web printing; and
document management. It is also owner and publisher of some of Canada’s leading consumer
magazines, including Toronto Life and FASHION Magazine. The company is focused on and
committed to doing the right thing for the communities in which it operates, donating 10 per
cent after-tax profit each year to philanthropic endeavours. Visit www.stjoseph.com.

About PenEquity Management Corporation
PenEquity Management Corporation is a private Canadian company that focuses on
institutional quality real estate asset management and specializes in large-scale retail
and entertainment projects on behalf of its pension fund clients and institutional
investors. PenEquity has undertaken retail and entertainment development projects in
excess of 4.2 million square feet. Visit www.penequity.com or www.metropolis.ca.

Not so lame. It could have been much, much worse. (Times Square, by the way, is named after a publication too.) Toronto Life Square is actually, surprisingly, appropriate. There's a chance that Yonge-Dundas Square's name itself might get subsumed by it.

It's pretty rare that a corporately monikered place can also sound like a description of what goes on in said place.

"Toronto Life Square" sounds awful!

- sounds like an insurance company for people never heard of Toronto Life Mag.

- get rid off "square". It is NOT a square!

- if people can call CN Tower CNN or UN Tower...well, what about "Toronto's Life Square" or make fun of as "Toronot's Life Squared and Even". LOL. On the south, we have Dundas Sq, on the north, we have Life Sq....Eaton Centre will soon rename as Eaton's Sq....

Never heard of 'Square' being used to name a building before?

How about Maple Leaf Square? That's another new one. It's down by the ACC. I think there's a thread here about it. You might want to leave some comments there too.

Everybody: remember to let your Doctors know about all the prescriptions you take. Unforeseen side effects may occur when drugs are taken in combination.

"Yonge-Dundas Square's name itself might get subsumed by it"

No doubt they thought of this when they were thinking up the name.

"Never heard of 'Square' being used to name a building before?"

There is Canada Square at the southwest corner of Yonge and Eglinton. But you are right...there are probably not too many examples.

Yonge dundas square name is pretty entrenched ...but you have a point.

It would be an amazing masterstroke of marketing if it worked.

It's obvious this is an attempt by Toronto Life to appropriate the name of the square, and you know what? It will.

People are going to refer to Toronto Life Square as a meeting place and just like "Meet me at Paramount" can mean "Meet me at the corner of John and Richmond", I think that Dundas square will eventually lose out to Toronto Life Square or simply Life Square...

As for other places like Metropolis named "square" ... you got the biggest example in Mississauga... that's right: Square One.

I like it and I think it'll catch on.

Btw: I reported this 3 months ago and nobody took me seriously ;)

MetroMan1000, we bow to your superior information.

Next time you have a news flash, remind us of your track record. The questioning will end.

Or people will just say "meet me at the movie theatre across from the Eaton Centre". I predict the name of the theatre will disappear, the way that condo names do once the marketing phase is over.

MetroMan: I kicked myself when I heard this, having ignored your scoop.

People I know who work at Toronto Life were totally surprised to get this news earlier today.

Back