News   Aug 14, 2024
 263     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 547     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 766     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The portion looking over Dundas Square is fine, considering what it is. I just wonder about the back part that looms over the Ryerson campus. Is this going to resemble a vertical warehouse and nothing more?

^ I think so. Corrugated aluminum siding in a dark grey most likely. I would expect something similar to what you see in the second last picture right below the guy putting up siding on the powerlift.

"I think I've seen enough to finally come to judgement that this thing is an eyesore."

Isn't it kind of supposed to be an eyesore? In my opinion the real measure of its success will be how it will change and enhance the flow of people and activity in the area. Surface cladding details and advertising will change over and over again over the years in successive renos and tenant change-overs. I suspect that at the least it will be a better addition to the area and far more immediate success than the Atrium on the Bay across the street.

"I would be surprised if the hording is down before the end of next summer. "

Progress has definitely slowed but I still think it is possible that the hoarding along the Yonge Street lowrise section could be removed by New Years for construction fencing and for lease signs on the rendered overhead signage

The upper half of the hoarding facing Yonge is gone. It looks like they cut it out today.

"Cut it out"? I was kind of hoping they'd disassemble it, mark all the pieces, and put it back up somewhere else. Maybe around 66 Temperance.

That hoarding has been there so long, Heritage Toronto put in for a designation. Penequity/Metropolis found out and acted quickly to tear it down just days before it was declared a heritage property. Had that happened, they would have had to shore up behind it and incorporate the facade into the new structure.

;)

"Isn't it kind of supposed to be an eyesore?"

I agree. I'd be offended if this building was on University Ave., but Yonge at Dundas? The curved streetwall effect looking west along Dundas, and looking south along Yonge is great. This area will be much busier next year at this time I'm sure.

We are no less deserving of an intersection wholly given over to the excesses of commercial vulgarity and visual cacophany than any other big city. And now we've got one. Enjoy. To each their own.

One thing I seriously would be interested in knowing is the total number of advertising dollars that hoarding brought in over the years. That was some prime hoarding.

"One thing I seriously would be interested in knowing is the total number of advertising dollars that hoarding brought in over the years"

and the amount of 'rent' paid out to the city for keeping it up for so long

A tepid version of Times Square- more embarrassing than dazzling imho. But the fountains are nice.

Back