The Met + Encore at The Met (Edilcan, 43 + 33s, P+S) COMPLETE

Some interior shots:

C1309525_3.jpg

bedroom
C1309525_6.jpg

C1309525_4.jpg

C1309525_2.jpg

C1309525.jpg

You're very welcome, yyzer and casaguy! I'm glad you liked the pics.

DT Toronto Geek, I didn't get the hint...you want me to post pictures taken from the terrace or are you my next door neighbor?:)

Am I right in assuming that urbandreamer is not a Met fan? Cheapish? The Met is not a pretentiously overpriced building. It's not decadent with luxury or anything, but I think it looks really good and is well built. I'm happy with what I will be getting for ther price I paid.

I loved the interior shots, Tuscani01. What a great view!!! I'd like to see some other interior shots.

Does anyone know if the keys for Encore will be released in June?

Actually, I like the condo towers here; the townhouses are a different story. They almost got them right, then the marketing guys screwed them up with the request for the "fake brick facade" which looks embarrassingly tacky. If the townhouses had been level with the sidewalk (no need for cheap concrete stairs etc), had a clean modern glass and precast facade I'd be happy with them too.

Re: the interior photos: looks like your average c.2005 Toronto condo. Not bad, but not much kitchen space either.

What I'd do with that concrete column? Not 100% original perhaps but totally my kind of statement: http://accel96.mettre-put-idata.ove...ontreal-palais-des-congres-architecte--2-.JPG

Those pink tree columns are at Montreal's Palais des Congres, and yeah, they're quite cool.

Tuscani01,

Where did those pics come from? Is this your unit?

From what I can make out, this unit must be one of the Penthouses... ?

Tuscani01,

Where did those pics come from? Is this your unit?

From what I can make out, this unit must be one of the Penthouses... ?

hahaha I wish!

Ive been looking for a place to rent and I came across the pictures while searching. That specific unit is a 1 bdrm and was going for 1800/month if i remember correctly.

The townhouses and the towers are as ill-matched as the townhouses and tower at Windermere By The Lake and are clearly the product of marketing culture, not of design. Compare those two examples with the tower/lowrise relationships at Radio City and 18 Yorkville, for instance, and you'll see how well it can be done - subtly different but related as a whole. The Met towers also have that tiresome and predictable easy-sell curvy thing going for them - it gets the usual Pavlovian response whenever it's trotted out.

Although these town homes have not been well handled - what's with those brick mitres, or the round windows? - I don't think it's nearly as awful as 'Windermere By The Lake'. That assemblage is so eye-poppingly bad as to practically need a new architectural term to describe it. These are just rather awkward and straining for an unwanted populism. They're oddly 80's looking in a peculiar po-mo sort of way. Besides, when I hear the term 'Windermere', all I can think of is the swampy chemical smell that used to (?) come off Windermere Basin as we drove over the Skyway in Hamilton. :)

The towers themselves I like, enough. The second one would have benefitted from a bit more height, IMO.
They've got that Norman Bel Geddes/World Of Tomorrow sleek-glassine thing going on that's practically hardwired into our ideas of modernity. Not revolutionary since the 1920's, maybe, but smart and not impractical. No less contempory nor modernistic than the usual right angled stacks.

Faults? The bases have a bit too much contrast to be pleasingly integrated with the towers above them, the tops seem like a bit of an afterthought, and they seem a wee bit timid on the skyline. However, I think these buildings more than make up for these slight faults in providing an excellent, full and dynamic streetwall in what was formerly an awkward blank spot. They bring a lot more to the street in this area than their moderate size would be expected to contribute. The area that was visually irregular and merely OK became fast-integrated and visually impressive when these went up. They also bounce the light from summer sunsets down Carlton, which is lovely.

It's too bad the townhomes didn't follow the more sophisticated populism of their bigger counterparts, and cut out the nonsense. At least, however, we're not forced to see them. They're back behind, and out of the way.

The townhouses and the towers are as ill-matched as the townhouses and tower at Windermere By The Lake.

Exactly what I've been thinking... but I do think they work well with Granby Street. ...Unlike Windemere which has nothing to do at all with its surroundings.

Back