News   Mar 28, 2024
 205     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 213     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 270     0 

The Meadoway, 200ha

Is there any real radiation danger from these powerful electricity lines?
The public will need to be reassured.
You are subjected to more radiation in your home than passing under power lines.

Is there any real radiation danger from these powerful electricity lines?
The public will need to be reassured.
sky.jpg

Attachments

• sky.jpg
    sky.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 659
Absolutely, but it's ice-storm damage collapsing towers and that kind of thing.
Has that ever happened in Ontario with high voltage lines? I suspect one would be in more danger, statistically, walking across a major street in Scarborough on the way to the park.

What about running LRT through the corridor?

What about running LRT through the corridor?
0% chance of that ever happening. There are many safety issues with that to begin with, stemming from the fact that there are very high voltage transmission lines on the corridor. So i'm sure you get the idea, extremely high voltage transmission lines mixing with overhead power lines for an LRT is probably not the best idea.

Has that ever happened in Ontario with high voltage lines? I suspect one would be in more danger, statistically, walking across a major street in Scarborough on the way to the park.
Yes it has happened before:
https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/big-ball...es-hydro-tower-collapse-in-backyard-1.3825555

0% chance of that ever happening. There are many safety issues with that to begin with, stemming from the fact that there are very high voltage transmission lines on the corridor. So i'm sure you get the idea, extremely high voltage transmission lines mixing with overhead power lines for an LRT is probably not the best idea.

Yes it has happened before:
https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/big-ball...es-hydro-tower-collapse-in-backyard-1.3825555
Is the probability any higher than a truck crashing into a SRT pier column. How about a truck falling off a bridge onto the open cut sections of track?

A corridor like Gatineau is mammoth, so I wouldn't rule out using something like it for electric rapid transit. Doesn't necessarily have to be under the wires, rather a sliver of the unused land sold off to TTC or Metrolinx. That'd probably be less than a tenth of the corridor, which am sure would leave enough transmission space indefinitely. Seems like deals between rail and utility corridors used to be common practice.

A corridor like Gatineau is mammoth, so I wouldn't rule out using something like it for electric rapid transit. Doesn't necessarily have to be under the wires, rather a sliver of the unused land sold off to TTC or Metrolinx. That'd probably be less than a tenth of the corridor, which am sure would leave enough transmission space indefinitely. Seems like deals between rail and utility corridors used to be common practice.

The attempt here is to create a wildlife corridor that can be shared with passive uses. This is not compatible with a roadway or rail (electric or diesel). The hope is to bring more nature into the city and I would hate to see the number of small animals run over by the bus/train if they are allowed to run through here.

Plus if you want to build a BRT in a hydro corridor look to the West side of the city for a prime candidate. There is one that can get you from Kipling to the Airport with a lot lower cost (and parkland corridors nearby so there is less need to convert it into a wildlife corridor).

The attempt here is to create a wildlife corridor that can be shared with passive uses. This is not compatible with a roadway or rail (electric or diesel). The hope is to bring more nature into the city and I would hate to see the number of small animals run over by the bus/train if they are allowed to run through here.

Plus if you want to build a BRT in a hydro corridor look to the West side of the city for a prime candidate. There is one that can get you from Kipling to the Airport with a lot lower cost (and parkland corridors nearby so there is less need to convert it into a wildlife corridor).

That was supposed to be for the Etobicoke RT.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2012/06/whatever_happened_to_the_etobicoke_rt/

Back