News   Jul 31, 2024
 58     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 282     1 

The Hypocrisy of the International Community, Re: Russia

If Russia is so great, why have so many millions of its populace fled to Europe, the USA, Israel and elsewhere?

Same reason some people fled from the UK?

A lot of the Russians I know in Canada work in IT. I don't think they're doing too badly.

A lot of the Russians I know in Canada work in IT. I don't think they're doing too badly.

My dad works in IT as well. However, that's many years after low paying jobs that barely got us by.

Not every case is the same. Some come to North America with money and buy a house, car, etc. right away. Those people usually know someone or start running a business of their own to make more money. Several of our friends did/do that but to a certain point, being until they reached the min. amount living in the US to apply for citizenship.

The other cases are where people come to NA through a work visa and get no financial or medical assitance from the gov't and labour 12-14+ hour days. After sometime, some stay and work through it hoping for something better to come up, or some go back home because they realize that this isn't what alot of people rave and romanticize about. Back home might not be the best situation but it is home, where you have your wife/kids, relative and friends who will help you out.

Anyway, I've gone a bit off topic so I'll just end it there.

Same reason some people fled from the UK?
When my own family left Britain for Canada in 1976 the UK was certainly not the economic strongman that some might (and others might not) call it today. However we hardly fled, and instead simply took advantage of a corporate transfer from my Dad's UK office to their subsidiary in Canada. Most people from the UK in Canada would not consider their departure from the UK as a flight (as in fleeing), but more as an adventure, much as someone might move from New York to Los Angeles.

What I do know is that by 2007 approximately 300,000 Russians called London their home, with over 100,000 arriving between 2005 and 2007 alone. Between 1998 and 2004, $102 billion in capital is estimated to have left Russia for Britain.

Russians in Canada do famously well. That's the crux of it, that outside of Russia, Russians of all classes are building successful lives in the west, but their own country is a dog's breakfast.

you have to look at the bigger picture. considering the country literally bottomed out and has been rebuilding since 2000, i'd say great progress has been made in 8 years. you can't rebuild a nation with that size and population overnight. especially when you have the US trying to turn everyone against you.
I agree with you here 100%. But if Russia wants to rebuild itself, it must continue and accelerate its economic and legal reforms, and make a country that middle class Russians would want to stay in. When people see a future for themselves and their family, they can withstand temporary hardship. Just look at Germany in 1945, the country was wrecked politically, physically, economically and emotionally, but they rebuilt themselves into an economic superpower. Yes, they had US loans and grants to help, but Russia is sitting on some the largest oil reserves in the world during the height of oil prices, which should provide more than enough money to fix the country.

I'll say one thing, Europe is tired of America, tired of Bush and looking regionally for new relationships. Instead of building upon that, Russia is threatening all of its neighbours. A Russian General just last week said that a military strike against Poland is necessary...who talks like that anymore?

When my own family left Britain for Canada in 1976 the UK was certainly not the economic strongman that some might (and others might not) call it today. However we hardly fled, and instead simply took advantage of a corporate transfer from my Dad's UK office to their subsidiary in Canada. Most people from the UK in Canada would not consider their departure from the UK as a flight (as in fleeing), but more as an adventure, much as someone might move from New York to Los Angeles.

You know, no-one really cares why you fled the UK. ;)

I'll say one thing, Europe is tired of America, tired of Bush and looking regionally for new relationships. Instead of building upon that, Russia is threatening all of its neighbours. A Russian General just last week said that a military strike against Poland is necessary...who talks like that anymore?

Exactly. This whole episode maybe one of the biggest strategic blunders Russia ever made. There is no doubt that the West was being hypocritical by criticizing Russian intervention in S. Ossetia while encouraging the separation of Kosovo with NATO backing. However, Russian over-reaction and the subsequent bluster against its other neighbours has only confirmed European fears about Russia. They will come off as being an unstable, hostile and unreliable neighbour.

Europe will be encouraged in short order, to re-double its efforts in alternative energy, to wean itself off Russian gas and oil, spend more on defence, and fast-track the NATO memberships of hopefuls, like the Ukraine. Russia has effectively made it self less secure by its own actions.

What's more, the performance of the Russian military has also proven inadequate. Shooting down 3 Russian aircraft including a Tu-22 is a disproportionate hit on Russia by Georgia. The episode shows that the Russian bear can be made to bleed with adequate training and technology. Small countries (like Georgia) made not be able to hold off the Russian onslaught but they can make it expensive for the Russians to start picking fights.

A Russian General just last week said that a military strike against Poland is necessary...who talks like that anymore?

The United States does when it talks about Iran. And it does when it invades Iraq.

The United States does when it talks about Iran. And it does when it invades Iraq.
No one cares about some dirty desert dwelling isolationist nutbars in Iran. What the US does not do is threaten to militarily attack China or Russia. A Russian threat against a NATO member is very serious, and as akin to an attack on the US itself.

An attack on NATO is not an attack on America.

Well, actually it's an attack on NATO, of which the United States is a member.

Attitudes towards Russia are changing in Europe - and they are not changing towards being more friendly or accommodating.

Back