News   Jun 28, 2024
 156     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 290     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 354     0 

TCHC: West Don Lands Affordable Housing (589 King St E, 2x 4 + 8s, Core Architects)

Photos taken 5 December 2013

I really like the streetwalls that are being created here; very strong and urban.

I fully agree - if only all of Toronto's suburban arterials could be lined with buildings scaled exactly like this, we'd have a far more dynamic, interesting, and even handsome city. One can dream!

Is there retail along King ? Same question regarding River city.

The area, while feeling very urban, seems like it might turn out to be very sterile.

The entire King Street frontage of the TCHC building is retail, while the westernmost space on the tower of River City is also retail. Given the seniors' component of the TCHC building, I would think it would be highly ideal for a medical office/pharmacy move into that space.

The TCHC crane is being taken down today and the project is looking very good. The WT January Newsletter says:

Toronto Community Housing Construction Update

Toronto Community Housing continues to make great progress constructing its three-building development in the West Don Lands that will provide affordable housing for seniors and families.

At the King Street seniors’ building, concrete forming is complete and exterior brickwork is expected to be complete by the end of January. Window installation is progressing well and has reached the sixth floor. Interior masonry work is underway and mechanical and electrical installation continues.

Progress has also been steady at the two family buildings located between River and St. Lawrence streets. Concrete forming is complete and the exterior wood cladding is progressing well. The cladding is installed to the fourth floor at the River Street building, and to the second floor at the St. Lawrence Street building. Mechanical and electrical installation continues at both buildings.

Occupancy for all three buildings is scheduled for this fall.

Photo taken 2 February 2013.

IMG_5657-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^I don't understand why builders are allowed to use wood-frame construction in multi-level multi-unit apartment buildings. That looks like a disaster in the making.

I think it's a bad decision as well. It was a staple of good building historically to put a brick wall up between every home or two in rowhouses, just in case of fire. Now I'd argue we still need it for not just fireproofing, but against noise and bug infestations as well. One case of bedbugs in a hollow wood wall - and you've got trouble. I was shocked to see that there was not even cinderblocks being used in the new townhomes in Regent Park, the rowhouses at Parliament and Aberdeen, and other new lowrise residential around the city. It seems there should be better minimum for walls between units, IMO. I wouldn't buy one.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame that they're getting away with this. The project looks great and I'm excited about all the development going on here but I too would be very reluctant to purchase any unit here when you have no brick between units... it's an obscene cheap-out that screws the customers. Shame.

Modern building methods, with all these corners being habitually cut, leave much to be desired.

Is this just pure speculation or do you two actually know what you are speaking about? In Vancouver plenty of construction has been done with wood for a long time. Regarding noise, proper insulation blocks it - you certainly don't need brick. Regarding insects, I don't know, but it seems to me that bed bugs can live anywhere. Can anyone who is proficient in building techniques comment: is this simply a cheapening or just a different use of materials?

Is this just pure speculation or do you two actually know what you are speaking about? In Vancouver plenty of construction has been done with wood for a long time. Regarding noise, proper insulation blocks it - you certainly don't need brick. Regarding insects, I don't know, but it seems to me that bed bugs can live anywhere. Can anyone who is proficient in building techniques comment: is this simply a cheapening or just a different use of materials?

You beat me to it. I was just going to say: we've moved WAY past brick walls between townhouse units as a fire retardant and on to much more effective materials. I can assure you the fire safety standards these days are much higher and more effective than using brick between buildings.

For whatever reason, I do prefer when urban buildings are made out of concrete, but there is also a strong case to be made for wood sometimes.

I can't speak for the others but I wasn't specifically addressing fire retardant issues - the issue of noise is far more my concern. As for the spread of bedbugs, though it's unfortunate that particular infestation is back in modern times, I have no idea if brick or cement block would be more effective for containment.

In BC they promote wood-frame construction to support their forestry industry. But if you look at the BC governments own literature they refer to wood-frame buildings as "combustible" and concrete buildings as "non-combustible". I think I would prefer to live in a non-combustible apartment building.

http://www.housing.gov.bc.ca/building/wood_frame/qanda.htm#1-1

This is the aftermath of an Edmonton apartment fire:

feb6ftmacaptfire.jpg

beaconnews.ca

Last edited:
Going back to one of my earliest memories in Toronto:

2008_02_20queenstfire_1.jpg

http://torontoist.com/2008/02/phototo_queen_s/

Proper fire retardant measures and code provisions obviously mitigate fire danger, though I don't doubt that in a large fire, there may be an issue - yet brick buildings seem to go up in flames as well.

Attachments

• 2008_02_20queenstfire_1.jpg
    2008_02_20queenstfire_1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:

Back