News   Jul 08, 2024
 393     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 636     0 

TCHC: West Don Lands Affordable Housing (589 King St E, 2x 4 + 8s, Core Architects)

You just referred to Corktown as a "sad area of the city"? Oi...

Yeah, if you are calling this Corktown
12 May 2012

IMG4121-L.jpg

Yeah, if you are calling this Corktown

Here's Wiki's link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corktown,_Toronto

By that definition, is being doing pretty darn good for quite a while. My girls did the Regent Park School of Music thing and so I've spent many a day having coffee and walking around here as the new buildings went up and old ones were renovated. Streetcar was the tipping point, though.

My first solo art show was at Inglenook... 1981 or thereabouts. The teacher who arranged for it still works there. Great building. Just reading that Wiki entry, thinking about all the old stuff they demolished to put in the Gardiner. It really is a cool little 'hood, especially some of the tiny side streets with the old, cozy row housing.

Great update!

Our downtown core desperately needs more affordable housing and I'm always interested in seeing what architects create for these types of housing schemes. Thanks for snapping these pics for us!

Great update!

Our downtown core desperately needs more affordable housing and I'm always interested in seeing what architects create for these types of housing schemes. Thanks for snapping these pics for us!

Thanks! I'm really liking this complex and seeing it take shape. Almost topped off. Just the mechanical floor to go now. And windows and bricks will be installed soon.

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

It's nice to see more retail coming to King Street East.

It's great. By this time next year, the West Don Lands will have about 1000+ residents. As quoted from WaterfrontTO: "Negotiations with commercial tenants who will occupy the street level frontage along King Street continue. The tenants will be oriented to community needs."

This south side of King Street should have some nice landscaping required by WT and designed for mature tree growth. The woonerfs around this complex and River City will look great, too.

its amazing to see vold industrial wasteland become part of the city again. this part of town is starting to take shape!

Brick!

Thanks for the pics, rdaner. Based on these shots, it looks like a darker grey brick than the ones on Corktown District Phase 2 (510 King Street E) across the street???

Also, I noticed some new brickworks being installed last week while driving by in the little parking lot across the street, too. (This may be part of the gym? Nice touch for the parking lot.)

I get excited about any improvements here haha :) Great to see this area on the upswing!

Pictures taken 6 December 2012

These buildings are creating a very urban streetwall.

IMG_1565_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1582_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1549_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1567_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1572_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1571_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1579_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1581_1-XL.jpg

Photos taken 5 December 2013

I really like the streetwalls that are being created here; very strong and urban.

IMG_2124_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2125_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2128_1-X2.jpg

IMG_2130_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2131_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2133_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2135_1-XL.jpg

Is there retail along King ? Same question regarding River city.

The area, while feeling very urban, seems like it might turn out to be very sterile.

Back