News   Jun 24, 2024
 313     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 5.1K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

TCHC: West Don Lands Affordable Housing (589 King St E, 2x 4 + 8s, Core Architects)

From yesterday, March 20, 2012

March202012234.jpg

March202012243.jpg

March202012233.jpg

The design of the TCHC buildings are growing on me. The placement of the windows looks kind of cool. Was concerned at first with the charcoal grey brick being too similar with 510 King Street East -- Corktown District Lofts across the street, but on second thought....it could be that the black and white River City buildings, along with the charcoal grey buildings might look amazing as a whole against a sea of new green spaces, green roofs, and street trees...coupled with colourful art installations and with the green, blue, and hot pink!!! lights at Underpass Park :) Either way, the 504 Red Rocket will add colour to the neighbourhood everytime it passes by :)

There has been discussion on the Corktown thread regarding retail. Does anyone know how many retail units will be fronting king in this development?

Different strokes, I guess. I think it's been on the upswing for the past five years or better now.

It was much more of a hard-core place ten years ago. Way less people around, too. Both good and bad in that. Cheap studio space, that's for sure. Long gone now.

Back