News   Jul 17, 2024
 413     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 916     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

TCHC: Lawrence Heights Revitalization

Residents don't want to leave the neighbourhood. Maybe they've been able to develop a social network, or finally felt comfortable, or fear ending up somewhere worse. They're asking for the same things that residents of Regent Park are getting, for the most part (first dibs on the replacement units, minimal disruption, minimal displacement).

That said, I completely support the redevelopment plans. I also like the idea of bringing Allen Road back to street level - would provide more room for development, reconnect streets, but I think the residents of StuccoWorld by Glencarin Station wouldn't be happy with that.

People are always afraid of change no matter if it means things getting better. Look at how many people complained when we moved to vBulletin because they lost their post count.

From North York - The Mirror

Lawrence Heights revitalization at least a decade away
BY SUSAN O'NEILL
June 14, 2007 04:16 PM

The city's plans to revitalize the public housing complex in Lawrence Heights will likely take between 10 to 15 years to complete.
And Ward 15 (Eglinton-Lawrence) Councillor Howard Moscoe said he is hoping to eliminate as many hurdles as possible in an effort to expedite the project.

Moscoe called on his colleagues at the city's affordable housing committee Thursday to ensure community organizations, the city's school boards and other key stakeholders are involved in the process from the outset.

"I'm trying to advance the timetable by tackling the thorny problems in the beginning. The thorniest problem is multiple land ownership," Moscoe said. "That's the first thorny problem. And we've got to find some way to put all this land under a single jurisdiction."

Moscoe noted the Toronto District School Board and Canada Mortgage and Housing own significant portions of land in the area, which is home to roughly 3,700 tenants living in 1,200 units of rent-geared-to-income housing.

"I know we can't put the school board lands under our jurisdiction, but we ought to be working in parallel with the school boards so when we finish all of our work the school board isn't suddenly saying, 'Oh we didn't know this was happening'," Moscoe said, adding, "we've had very productive discussions at the ground level with school board officials."

Committee members agreed Thursday to allocate $500,000 to begin planning the revitalization project and Moscoe wants community and business organizations to be involved in those discussions.

"I want to make sure that every agency I can think of is informed about what we're doing because I know they're going to have an interest in coming forward with ideas," he said. "For example, I included York University. Well why would you include York University way up there? Because York University has a need for student housing and there's room and there's a place in the new Lawrence Heights for some kind of student housing and it's on the same subway line.

"So those are the kinds of things that we have to do to reach out to make sure the full community is involved in this application," he said.

Plans for revitalizing the community should be completed within the next two years, Moscoe said, adding that he hopes to get the shovel in the ground right after that.

"I want to see something happen in my lifetime," he said.

"For example, I included York University. Well why would you include York University way up there? Because York University has a need for student housing and there's room and there's a place in the new Lawrence Heights for some kind of student housing and it's on the same subway line.

Is York all of a sudden out of land that the students need to move to Lawrence Heights? Sounds silly to me.

I agree with previous assertions this area was conceived in cynicism, compared to the optimism of downtown housing projects like Regent Park. Has anyone seen the NFB movie "A Farewell to Oak Street"? Regent Park was built after the so-called 'Garden City' model, but it is right downtown, and there are no 8 lane highways or train tracks to shut it in or isolate it. Compared to some of the out-of-the-way projects, Regent Park is alright. I visited Lawrence Heights a couple of times recently, and the access is limited. The pattern of semi-circle streets with side streets of low rises and townhouses is almost mirrored on each side of the Allen between Flemington and Lawrence. A large school yard blocks the area off from Lawrence. Side streets connecting to the neighbourhood immediately to the east are limited. On the north west side, there is a wall and vacant lot- this reminds me of cynical endeavours elsewhere designed to stash the poor out of the way. Interestingly, this same isolation, if the entire area was razed, would be rather well suited to a wealthy community that doesn't want to be 'gated', but doesn't want a lot of outsiders coming around, either. Of course, the streets are full of cracks once you enter the neighbourhood- one of those less than subtle reminders of the neighbourhood (social housing) you're in - it's also unfortunately a pretty segregated neighbourhood, based on my mere two visits. I am not sure if that was deliberate, or if I want to even open that additional can of worms in this thread...

Remember, though, that when RP and LP were envisaged in the 40s/50s, "typical" residents were pictured more as down-homers from out East (and maybe a few Euro-refugees and such) rather than, uh, "ghetto types". So "Robert Moses vs the darkies" situations don't (didn't) quite pertain here...

Here's an idea - stop living in subsidized housing if you want a say in how it's developed. I can't believe the entitlement mentality some people have, like it's their god-given right to have other residents subsidize them so they can have a nice place to live. How ungrateful can you get? I wonder if that woman who's lived there for 14 years ever considered that maybe she shouldn't complain too much about the deal she's getting on the rent?
How dare you demand that people be accountable and responsible for their own housing! Don't you know that housing is a right, and if I can't afford to buy or rent housing in the city I wish to live in, then damn right the taxpayer should be expected to cover some or all of my housing costs! And forget about asking me to agree to any time limit for living off the taxpayer for my housing, if I want to live in RGI housing for 20 years or more, that's my right.

...and if I choose to have multiple children with multiple men, none of whom I have any monogamous relationship with, and none of whom will support or nurture or care for their/my children, and if my sons then cause trouble, join a gang and sell drugs and end up in prison then that's society's fault, not mine, for not providing positive opportunities and for not providing additional taxpayer funds to raise my children out of poverty and dispair. And if my children have their own children and live for generations in poverty striken public housing, than that's society's fault as well.

With an attitude like that I can't imagine why you'd want to leave Fredericton.
You kidding me Andrea? The entire province of NB is addicted to the public teat, unfortunately the taxpayers funding NB's economy are not in NB, but in ON. It was the joint cultures of economic dependence on other provinces and unwillingness to pick-up their socks and work that drove me back to Ontario. No....IMO, Ontario has a far better work ethic and economic engine than the Atlantic Provinces. Now, that doesn't mean Ontario is perfect, and pan generational usage of taxpayer funded houses is a sign of failure in our labour and in many cases immigration systems, but I'd rather be in Ontario than anywhere east of Cornwall.

From the Post:

KNOCKING DOWN 'JUNGLE' WALLS
Kelly Patrick, National Post
Published: Monday, July 16, 2007
Toronto authorities are taking a sledgehammer to housing projects built just 50 years ago, doing away with the old philosophy -- separation -- in favour of a new one: integration. This week, city council will vote to start remaking Lawrence Heights, where market-value housing will be put amid public housing. Today, Kelly Patrick on the plans for the neighbourhood.

TORONTO - As Ahmed Samater walks through Lawrence Heights, he halts every few minutes to point out another bizarre physical feature that isolates the public housing complex's poor tenants from their affluent neighbours.

"This street dead-ends here," he says, pointing down Rondale Boulevard, a residential street that stops about 10 metres from connecting to Varna Drive, the ring road that hems in the eastern half of Lawrence Heights.

Mr. Samater, the affable Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC) manager for the swath of northwestern Toronto that includes Lawrence Heights, says built-in boundaries like this one exacerbate the differences of income and class that already separate the kids here from their peers outside.

There is a park at the end of Rondale, but Lawrence Heights kids never play there, Mr. Samater says. And kids from outside "Jungle" -- as those who grew up here call the complex -- do not venture into Flemington Park either.

"Literally, there's no opportunity for any of these kids to get exposed to other kids," Mr. Samater adds later outside Flemington Public School, which is attended almost exclusively by children from the complex.

"That's what a mixed-income community will do."

When the federal government built Lawrence Heights, near Lawrence Avenue West and Bathurst Street, in the late 1950s, the complex's maze of green space and pathways meshed with the urban design trends of the moment.

Its physical isolation also mollified the middle-class neighbours who might have objected to thousands of low-income tenants moving into the backyard of what was then a new suburb of Toronto.

Today, however, experts at the city and TCHC say the barriers that surround Lawrence Heights -- both visible and invisible -- are partly to blame for its residents' persistent poverty and social ills.

They believe knocking those barriers down and integrating the community will lift up the 3, 438 people who live in Jungle.

As early as today, while the city's attention is trained on a crucial tax vote, city council is expected to create a revitalization secretariat and approve a $500,000 allocation to officially begin studying a sweeping redesign of Lawrence Heights.

If the plan goes through as expected, 1,208 units of subsidized housing spread over 65 acres will be bulldozed to the ground in the next 10 to 15 years.

In their place will rise a new community with physical links to the outside world and a mix of subsidized apartments, market-priced condos and commercial buildings.

The vision is in keeping with a theory that prompted the razing of Don Mount Court and Regent Park: That the poor are likely to thrive better in mixed communities than in low-income ghettos.

"Other experience from around the world tells us these communities come out the other end better places for people to live," said Mark Guslits, TCHC's chief development officer.

The revamping of Don Mount Court, a 232-unit public housing complex located near the Don Valley Parkway and Dundas Street East, is already well under way.

So is the rebuilding of the much larger Regent Park.

Constructed in 1948 on 69 acres east of downtown, Regent Park was the first public housing project in Canada to adopt the isolated park design that would become a hallmark of future projects such as Lawrence Heights.

That's why the $1-billion Regent Park redevelopment, which is roughly a decade from completion, is the touchstone to which those planning Lawrence Heights' future keep returning.

The grinding poverty and crime that afflicted Regent Park also afflict Lawrence Heights's population of young, immigrant families.

The average household income in Lawrence Heights is just $15,425. Forty-seven per cent of the population is under 16 years of age. Sixty-three per cent of residents are younger than 26.

After English, the most widely spoken languages in the complex are the African tongues of Somali, Oromo, Tigrinya and Amharic.

Toronto's "summer of the gun" two years ago put Lawrence Heights in a negative spotlight. In the two highest profile incidents, gunfire rang out during a memorial barbecue on July 24, 2005, to mark the fourth anniversary of the murders of two community workers, and a 46-year-old resident, Leroy Whittaker, was gunned down through the door of his apartment on July 30, 2005.

On top of all this, the complex's public housing stock of townhouses and three-storey apartment buildings is crumbling.

TCHC says it simply does not have the cash to keep pace with repairs.

"Ninety-three per cent of all my calls are plumbing-related," Mr. Samater said. "Every time it rains, everything backs up."

Jaquie Waldren knows that first-hand. After 33 years living in Lawrence Heights, a pipe burst beneath her apartment just before Christmas in 2005, prompting her to move out of the neighbourhood.

Despite travails like these -- or, some residents say, because of them -- those who live in Jungle are fiercely attached to their neighbourhood and to each other.

People here look out for each other, they say. They know their neighbours by first name.

They have begun to work together on successful projects such as community gardens. Now they are afraid of being forced out. They are wary of living cheek by jowl with the middle class.

"To be honest, most of the people don't like [the revitalization] because they feel like they are being kicked out," said Faadumo Hussein, a 43-year-old Somali immigrant and mother of six who has lived in the complex for 15 years.

"I love my community. We have to find a way to rebuild without losing the community."

Mr. Guslits and his colleague Lorne Cappe, a TCHC housing development manager, say that is what they are aiming for with the revitalization.

Howard Moscoe, the councillor who represents the area, echoed that sentiment.

He said the goal is to not "displace" anyone while the rebuilding work progresses.

It could be possible -- because there is so much surplus land in Lawrence Heights -- that people could be moved from building to building without being dispatched elsewhere as they have been in Regent Park, he said.

As well, Mr. Cappe said TCHC is legally obliged to keep the same number of subsidized units after the revitalization.

That is a message they are trying to drive home in the community.

"It's partly a matter of building the trust that I think we did in other locations, like Regent Park and Don Mount Court, where we entered into contracts with each household," he said.

Lawrence Heights is bounded roughly by Bathurst Street to the east, Lawrence Avenue to the south, Dufferin Street to the west and Highway 401 to the north.

The Allen Expressway bisects the community.

Not all of this area is public housing, of course; the 65 acres owned by TCHC is mostly situated inside Flemington Road and Varna Drive, the ring roads that encircle the complex.

In total, roughly 160 acres are being considered for the redevelopment, including city lands, several schools and the Lawrence Square Plaza at Lawrence and Dufferin.

Mr. Moscoe envisions between 4,500 and 5,000 units at the end, with a third being subsidized housing.

"It's the value in the land that will be used to make the revitalization affordable," Mr. Moscoe said. "It's going to be a mixed-use community, so parts of it will be sold off, parts of it will be intensified on our own. But that's what will finance the restorations, the sale of the private condominiums."

There is no price tag attached to the project yet. Everyone involved stresses the revitalization plans are at a very early stage.

Still, Mr. Moscoe said his office has already had "a huge number" of inquiries from people interested in buying in the area. The Orthodox Jewish community that hugs Bathurst Street is particularly interested, he said.

Iman Ali, 21, and Helen Yohannes, 18, bristle at the idea of the private sector and the upper classes invading their neighbourhood. The girls are eloquent, passionate opponents of the revitalization.

"I feel it's trying to make the community that already exists here disappear," said Ms. Yohannes, who was born in the complex. "We have so much of a tight-knit sense of community. I don't want to lose that."

But Ms. Ali, a nursing student at Ryerson University, and Ms. Yohannes, a political science student at York University, are also prime examples of a dilemma that will keep plaguing Lawrence Heights if it is left to subsidized housing alone.

Their academic success means they will likely be too well-off to stay in the community after they graduate.

This is how Mr. Moscoe puts it when he speaks to teenagers at Lawrence Heights: "Do you realize that if you become successful and earn a higher income, you won't be able to live here anymore? You'll be separated from your friends and your parents if we don't create a mixed-income community here."

TOMORROW

Zosia Bielski goes to the sales centre for "Rivertowne," the mixed-income development that will replace South Riverdale's Don Mount Court.

AoD

Back