News   Jul 17, 2024
 338     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 488     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

TCHC: Lawrence Heights Revitalization

The street grid actually almost perfectly matches the block lengths of the neighbouring subdivisions. Mabye not ideal, but certainly contextual. I'd want to see one more road cross the Allen immediately south of Ranee, though, instead of having 4 culs-de-sac. Punch Rondale over to Stockton, or punch the extended Ridgevale through to the extended Blossomfield. With the Allen running through the middle and with limited street connections to adjacent areas, the street grid is somewhat constrained and they've done a decent job. It'd be less coarse if there were more townhouses instead of 8-12 storey complexes.

I think the whole idea was filtered permeability: pedestrains have more options for crossing the expressway than do cars. This might lead to the Regent Park effect, though.

I was in the neighbourhood today so I took a drive through the target streets. They have to be kidding, what's wrong with this area? I expected to see some kind of high rise slum but found buildings that are virtually identical to privately owned structures that are demanding premium rents in Don Mills. The only difference I could see was the lack of landscaping typical of public housing projects designed to discourage illicit pharmaceutical entrepreneurs from practising their trade.

Toronto Plans To Tear Down "Jungle" Housing Projects

[video=youtube;2dIXNSa_7Uo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dIXNSa_7Uo[/video]

We need someone to dismantle this out of control TCHC regime. Government should not be in the housing business, period.

We need someone to dismantle this out of control TCHC regime. Government should not be in the housing business, period.

Are you related to those who were protesting the plans up there? Why do you find them problematic?

I don't know that part of town, but looking around the city at recent TCHC projects like Regent Park, 60 Richmond, and 501 Adelaide, they seem to have done amazing work.

Mr. Ford was the only councillor to demand the revitalization be halted before a spade goes into the ground.

Another quote, from the NP article:

Councillor Rob Ford, who is running in the fall election to fill his chair, said the project should be stopped. “This is bad planning,” said Mr. Ford. “You cannot go into someone’s neighbourhood and put five times the density they have now.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/07/07/lawrence-heights-to-undergo-‘makeover’/

Sounds like he is against the project to me.

AoD

Last edited:
We don't have to - see the second quote above.

Speaking of which, there is one question that has to be asked - just how would Rob Ford pay for the subway extensions, as per his claims about selling air rights - if such air rights doesn't entail putting X times density over what's there now? Pray tell. Isn't that exactly what TCHC is doing - selling existing parcels of land to pay for new buildings?

AoD

Last edited:
Oh you added the second quote after the original post so I missed that. The problem with Ford is that he expects everyone to be in favour of the plan in order for it to go forward. That is just silly

Oh I don't think he is seeking agreement over the project - he is just trying to capitalize on the NIMBY sentiments for votes; and of course killing the revitalization project aligns very nicely with his personal take on social housing, his rhetoric notwithstanding.

AoD

Oh I don't think he is seeking agreement over the project - he is just trying to capitalize on the NIMBY sentiments for votes; and of course killing the revitalization project aligns very nicely with his personal take on social housing, his rhetoric notwithstanding.

AoD

That's exactly what he's doing. He's playing politics to get elected, while speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Is he for, or against, higher density? This guy just makes no sense. He seems to be going after the anti-everything crowd, and has no vision as to building this city. Can you really win an election by getting the votes of people who are against one thing or another? What a negative way to run a campaign.

That's exactly what he's doing. He's playing politics to get elected, while speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Is he for, or against, higher density? This guy just makes no sense. He seems to be going after the anti-everything crowd, and has no vision as to building this city. Can you really win an election by getting the votes of people who are against one thing or another? What a negative way to run a campaign.

In this world, you can win an election with any tactic

Back