News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

TCHC: 501 Adelaide E / 288 King E (14s, aA)

The low-rise may have missed the boat as they sit on a very small site now well hemmed-in by SAS and 501 Adelaide. I wonder if TCHC tried to buy them out?

There's plenty of room there for a larger building some day in the future.

Taken yesterday:

3242585396_b5792d71bc.jpg

3241755455_92ee2cf85f.jpg

Ground floor glass is looking good.

3241757841_9a9726f952.jpg

3241760185_a1d2abb8de.jpg

This really is a very nice building, if only more of the non-public buildings were in the same league!

So far, I don't share those sentiments. The massing is oppressive and the materials leave a lot to be desired. The bright red brick is just plain tacky. It's still far from finished though. (didn't warm up to Montage until now although the north side still does nothing for me)

So far, I don't share those sentiments. The massing is oppressive ...

The massing is actually very smartly done given there will be buildings up against this site in the future. It's a short term concern.

Although the bright brick I don't understand, but I haven't seen a rendering, so I will have to wait and see how the brick is incorporated into the design.

But for public housing, it's great stuff. I'm pleased. Everyone deserves to live in a decent building :)

I think this building would look fantastic on University Avenue, perhaps a few stories taller, say where that RBC is at Dundas and University.

Yes, some details are awkward--the concrete pillars holding up the driveway. However, maybe the neighbouring lane/parking lot will be redeveloped to the property line?

Everyone deserves to live in a decent building

Decent's an understatement if this building is anything like 252 Sackville. The units are really nice. A far cry from the dozen of so TCHC buildings I've been in.

The sheer bulk of this structure, though not that pronounced from up close is definitely visible from a distance (shown here from Parliament @ Richmond) Projects like this one are transforming the east downtown from a low rise residential/warehouse district into something more urban and it is definitely the correct path for the city to take.

3247617542_6e23ac88cd_o.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking building, Thanks for the pics. It seems that the TCHC buildings going up these days look far better than most condos.

Back