News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

TCHC: 501 Adelaide E / 288 King E (14s, aA)

Tell that to the 35 year old, able bodied, employed male, who owns his own car and lives by himself in a 2 story 2 bedroom (TCHC) townhouse at Church and Carlton....for the past 3 years.
Wouldn't a young family of 3 be better suited to that subsidy?

It's rent geared to income. Everyone doesn't pay the same and some even pay the near market rates set by the TCHC. It's only fair that everyone has a chance to live in community housing and the higher rental income probably helps with the overall unit budget.

About the worst thing a landlord can do is to outfit an apartment too cheap. Not only is the cheap stuff less durable but tenants automatically take better care of something that nice. There are some really nice affordable finishes created through the condo boom.

one of the things i learned from watching 'income property' was it's better to use solid surface (ie. corian, etc) than laminate b/c of the wear/tear, plus any marks on corian can be buffed out and lasts much longer ... so in the longterm, it's actually cheaper when one considers the cost of remove/install every few years.

Tell that to the 35 year old, able bodied, employed male, who owns his own car and lives by himself in a 2 story 2 bedroom (TCHC) townhouse at Church and Carlton....for the past 3 years.
Wouldn't a young family of 3 be better suited to that subsidy?

where are the 2 story 2 bedroom (TCHC) townhouses at Church and Carlton ?

It's rent geared to income. Everyone doesn't pay the same and some even pay the near market rates set by the TCHC. It's only fair that everyone has a chance to live in community housing and the higher rental income probably helps with the overall unit budget.

I guess you missed the point....is a single man living in a two bedroom townhouse, making the best use of these scarce properties?

Why should we be subsidising his rent?

I do see this project as a positive step towards integrating the potential tenants, be it rent geared to income or market rate, to the area and revitalize this section of the city. From what I read, the building offers a good mix of larger - family sized units which on theory is a basis for a viable long-term building that won't turn into a slum of some sort.

I definitely want to see how opulent the suites are though.

^ Not sure, but one of the questions asked on the forms I found on the TCHC website is how many family members are living with you. I suppose based on the information the applicant provides, TCHC will assign the appropriate unit.

I guess you missed the point

No, you missed the point.

is a single man living in a two bedroom townhouse, making the best use of these scarce properties?

I don't see a problem as long as he pays his rent. Why shouldn't these units only be open to families?

Why should we be subsidising his rent?

These units are open to everyone and the subsidy is based on your income. You will pay set market rates if you earn enough.

Last edited:
No, you missed the point.

No, you did...twice.

According to you, there must be an excess of these rent geared housing units, so much so that a two bedroom can be occupied by one person.

AGTO:

Where did you get that particular case from? Beyond that, where are the TCHC townhomes on Mutual north of Carlton? I frequent the area and I haven't been able to identify any significant and existing blocks of housing owned by the TCHC there.

Wooba:

Just how "over the top" are these units that you're speaking of? I mean, isn't that relative to the size of the family being housed in the units? I haven't heard so far accounts of gold-plated fixtures and the like.

AoD

Last edited:
According to you, there must be an excess of these rent geared housing units, so much so that a two bedroom can be occupied by one person.

And, again, what is wrong with one person occupying a two bedroom unit providing he pays his rent? Y'know, we aren't housing cattle in stalls here.

I would think it would be a good idea for TCHC to provide (with a set quota) a mixture of RGI and market rate housing within one building or within a TCHI community as a mandate based on the theory of mixed economic levels and social statues to maintain a good livable environment.

From a fiscal planning perspective, TCHC runs like a business and should allocate a certain number to market rate renters as well. Granted of course, so long they meet their mandate of providing housing for those actually in need.

T-Squared:

TCHC runs like a business and should allocate a certain number to market rate renters as well. Granted of course, so long they meet their mandate of providing housing for those actually in need.

They already offer market rentals at some locations. It will be difficult to reconcile providing housing for those in need AND providing a mixed income envionment however, given the size of the housing wait-list.

AoD

^ yes, fair enough. It would've be 'my' dream scenario as I wouldn't mind renting at this location or in one of the TCHC buildings close to the Esplanade

Back