News   Apr 19, 2024
 940     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 671     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Starbucks

I expect the reason why most of these are closing is to avoid paying unnecessary rent. Starbucks is never gonna have trouble finding locations to rent in the future anyway, especially given how many stores are closing in general rn. Given that it's likely going to be tough for landlords to find new retail tenants for a while, it's possible Starbucks could end up reclaiming some of the stores they gave up.

Also labour - I don't think I have seen a proper Starbucks with one barista also working as cashier.

AoD

Plus I'm sure they're just going to start opening more suburban drive-thru locations if people are continuing to work from home.

I hope not.

Every starbucks drive thru I've been to has been cramped or backed up.

Their business model isn't designed to work with drive thrus.

Starbucks drinks are like McPizza, time consuming production and not practical for drive thrus. I mean.. if you have a family of 3 venti caramel macchiatos in a drive thru and a lineup inside the store it will take awhile.

Fitting out a store is not that cheap. I wonder if the are just cutting their staffing costs and expect to reopen some of these locations next year when demand starts picking up again. Maybe they are working out deals with landlords to pause rents. They should have a lot of negotiating power.

I hope not.

Every starbucks drive thru I've been to has been cramped or backed up.

Their business model isn't designed to work with drive thrus.

Starbucks drinks are like McPizza, time consuming production and not practical for drive thrus. I mean.. if you have a family of 3 venti caramel macchiatos in a drive thru and a lineup inside the store it will take awhile.
It could work more if it was like McDonald's curbside where a runner brings your order out to you as you're parked. A lot better for idling too!

Starbucks drive through works great with mobile ordering

It does but then you run the risk if having your drink get cold if there is a backup in the drive thru. As I said the drinks take time to produce.

I once waited 20 minutes in the drive thru at Carlaw and Lake Shore.

It does but then you run the risk if having your drink get cold if there is a backup in the drive thru. As I said the drinks take time to produce.

I once waited 20 minutes in the drive thru at Carlaw and Lake Shore.

I have only 2 problems w/this statement.

1) Starbucks makes nothing worth waiting 2 minutes for

2) There is no Starbucks at Carlaw and Lake Shore.

It's worth noting that by the time we decided to change our minds we were boxed in and forced to wait.
This is among the reasons I avoid drive-throughs. Often the 'quick' serve restaurant is anything but quick and you can get trapped behind someone with a massive order or who needs to complain about their order or something.

Also labour - I don't think I have seen a proper Starbucks with one barista also working as cashier.

AoD

I’ve only seen this at franchised outlets at supermarkets and OnRoute service centres.

Lesson learned: never go to Starbucks at an OnRoute service centre.

As Starbucks doesn’t do normal franchising where there isn’t an institutional agreement in place (in-store locations like supermarkets and bookstores, universities, airports, etc.) it’s a lot easier to centrally coordinate closures and openings.

This is among the reasons I avoid drive-throughs. Often the 'quick' serve restaurant is anything but quick and you can get trapped behind someone with a massive order or who needs to complain about their order or something.

But you’ll probably still get served faster at a drive thru: at a Tim Hortons or a McDonald’s, they seem to have five workers dedicated to the drivethru but only one or two to the walk-up counter.

Back