News   May 03, 2024
 166     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 906     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 257     0 

Starbucks

The King & Dufferin location closed as well. Like Church & Adelaide, it too was a recent relocation from a nearby storefront. Without workers in the office/studio half of Liberty Village, it died too.

The one at Queen and Bathurst looks to have also now permanently closed, the sign is gone and the windows are covered. It shut down at the start of the pandemic, so that leaves none on Queen between John and Ossignton

I know Starbucks was downsizing but it's almost like they are giving up entirely
In fairness to that particular location, it was extremely redundant. There's one at Jarvis and Bloor, one in the Longos at Bloor and Park, one at Church and Maitland, and two (assuming neither closed yet) at Yonge and Bloor.

With most (but not all) of these, they seem to be in office/student areas. I wouldn't be surprised if some come back to those areas when people are working/going to college in the area.

With most (but not all) of these, they seem to be in office/student areas. I wouldn't be surprised if some come back to those areas when people are working/going to college in the area.
Begs the question will Starbucks corporate continue paying rent to hold on to these locations, or will they let them go and find new locations when business opportunities return in a year or 2

Begs the question will Starbucks corporate continue paying rent to hold on to these locations, or will they let them go and find new locations when business opportunities return in a year or 2

I can't imagine they would - it would be a renter's market at the end of the pandemic, and they have deeper pockets than most.

AoD

I can't imagine they would - it would be a renter's market at the end of the pandemic, and they have deeper pockets than most.

AoD

Even still.. people are realising that WFH is a viable option in the fact of skyrocketing office rents. I can see WFH being the norm from now on as a cost saving measure.

If that is the case you will not need as many coffee shops in Downtown or even in the suburbs owing to the rise of Keurig and other one cup coffee machines.

Even still.. people are realising that WFH is a viable option in the fact of skyrocketing office rents. I can see WFH being the norm from now on as a cost saving measure.

If that is the case you will not need as many coffee shops in Downtown or even in the suburbs owing to the rise of Keurig and other one cup coffee machines.

Also growth of delivery services impacts the need for physical locations.

Also growth of delivery services impacts the need for physical locations.

The only thing I don't like about coffee delivery is that it needs to be on time. If your driver is running behind, the coffee will end up cold.

Nobody wants a cold starbucks when they ordered it hot.

Dundas and Elizabeth location is also closed. Just walked by. And I think the one in the lobby of the building where I work might be on life support.

I expect the reason why most of these are closing is to avoid paying unnecessary rent. Starbucks is never gonna have trouble finding locations to rent in the future anyway, especially given how many stores are closing in general rn. Given that it's likely going to be tough for landlords to find new retail tenants for a while, it's possible Starbucks could end up reclaiming some of the stores they gave up.

Back