188     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 385     0 

St Lawrence Market

"I was wondering about that JT but had a hard time believing it."
QUOTE androiduk

Our soon to be former meeting place aside, there will be a reduction in quick/affordable/morning coffee "fast food" in the area.

Such is life.

Regards,
J T

Though there's something really anachronistic about that Tim's/Wendy's; a throwback to the superscaled urban fast-food joints of the 1980s, way back before they downscaled on behalf of office-worker takeout, food courts, and too many druggies/vagrants/perverts scaring away the intended kid-and-family demo...

"and too many druggies/vagrants/perverts scaring away the intended kid-and-family demo..."
QUOTE adma

Both Tim Horton's in the area are "frequented" outside by low-life's in addition to the Pravda bar on Wellington.

No other eateries seem as targeted, area-wide as the above. Can it be that their management doesn't care,

or is it a magnet due to the fact that their patrons are bigger suckers in giving a handout, or both?

Regards,
J T

I don't know about Pravda; but in the case of Tim's, it may be generic "mass-market coffee/donut hangout--everyone welcome here" (as well as the decimation of Coffee Time)

So let's talk about Occupy Toronto.

For the past two weeks, I've noticed a ton of tents amassing at St. James Park, right outside the Financial District. While I support everyone's right to protest, does anyone else think it's becoming kind of a nuisance?
I work near there, and walk past frequently. I haven't noticed it being a nuisance at all, except when they do the occasional march ... but the only one I'm aware of in the last week was yesterday.

Given the magnitude of the protest, and the length, it seems remarkably nuisance free to me, and amazingly well organised in so many ways. What other protesters have ever brought their own toilets, and set up a mailing address with Canada Post. In what way do you think it's being a nuisance? Perhaps it's much noisier late at night when I'm not there?

Those crazy car drivers that show up in rush-hour, and seem to think driving at excessive speeds on sidestreets and while undertaking streetcars seem much more of a nuisance to me.

If Tim's/Wendy's is out and Jack Astor's is in then that's a definite improvement. I'm not a fan of chain restaurants/bars, but Tim's/Wendy's always seemed out of place whenever I walked by.

I will say that it's a loss to lose Tim's. Sure, there is one at Wellington & Scott which is only a couple of blocks away, but the density is high enough that it could support one on that strip, I would think. Or maybe the combination of Starbucks, Lettieri, and Second Cup squeezes it out?

Lettieri's gone too. It's a Hero Burger now. This tiny stretch has just had its coffee shops cut from 4 to 2! Caffeine levels in the neighbourhood are going to be dangerously low!

Is Lettieri really gone? Because Lettieri and Hero Burger operate together, I believe. Many are dual locations.

If Tim's, Wendy's, and Lettieri are out and Hero Burger and Jack Astor's are in then this is a net gain, IMHO.

Even better if that Hero Burger still offers Lettieri.

It isn't a dual location. It's just Hero, like the one that replaced Lettieri at Church & Wellesley.

I'm not sure I agree that this is a net gain for the neighbourhood. It's nice to have quick service options like Tim's and Wendy's. I'd put the food on par with Jack Astor's, and much more affordable.

In my mind the change is neutral.

The Queznos at Front and Jarvis has closed and Pizza Pizza will be moving in to that spot (take-out only apparently). The incredibly ugly Pizza Pizza at Front and Church has a For Rent sign so one assumes they are moving out of there. Maybe something less garish will move in or even that the site may be redeveloped.

Was in the hood today and noticed that the Starbucks is under renovations (looks like a few are undergoing renos across town on the same day). The old Pizza Pizza building has the signs down and ready for something new... I'd love to see it torn down and an L-shaped building in it's place in the corner with a courtyard for outdoor seating if the need for a small parking lot can be let go of. Still don't see much going on with the upper floors of the Flatiron building.

The Berczy and Market Wharf sure are coming along and the new facade of the old liquor store is almost fully in place. Will be exciting to see the liquor store move back upstairs then see what new cafes and restaurants open up on Market Street.

Was in the hood today and noticed that the Starbucks is under renovations (looks like a few are undergoing renos across town on the same day). The old Pizza Pizza building has the signs down and ready for something new... I'd love to see it torn down and an L-shaped building in it's place in the corner with a courtyard for outdoor seating if the need for a small parking lot can be let go of. Still don't see much going on with the upper floors of the Flatiron building.

The Berczy and Market Wharf sure are coming along and the new facade of the old liquor store is almost fully in place. Will be exciting to see the liquor store move back upstairs then see what new cafes and restaurants open up on Market Street.

I was told by someone who worked there, that the old Pizza Pizza store, will become a new Pizza Pizza store. (just new owners) It seems Pizza Pizza is so popular, they need 2 of the restaurants in the same neighbourhood. (mostly delivery orders)

Back