News   Jul 23, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 562     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.6K     3 

St Lawrence Market

I have never seen anyone without a mask either, other than one proprietor who was wearing a face shield instead for months. But now all the vendors have the same mask, presumably vetted by experts for quality.

hi all, would love to know what the consensus is on where st lawrence market neighbourhood boundaries are?
also, given proximity to Moss Park, how do residents here feel generally about safety and security?

I would say roughly the area bounded by Church, Adelaide, Parliament and the tracks.

We moved here somewhat recently from the Annex and I don't think there's much difference in terms of security. We have a little one, so with Covid are never out in the evenings or at night, but we are out a lot during the day and have never had any issues. Obviously there's a fair amount of poverty in the area, but virtually everyone has been perfectly polite to us at all times.

Just today I was asked persistently for cash by someone in St. James. After a couple of "I'm sorry"s, he told me my kid is very cute, wished me a nice day and moved along. That's pretty much been most of my experience with the neighbourhood. I know if you read facebook groups there are all kinds of reports of harassment and dirty needles littering the area, but we are in the parks and playgrounds twice a day every day and have never seen anything like that. I don't want to diminish anyone's individual experience, but overall the issue seems overblown to me.

There was a guy hanging around the Tim's at Front and Sherbourne today with a hockey stick, which alarmed my wife a bit, but I'm pretty he had no intention of doing anything with the hockey stick other than wandering around and maybe daydreaming about winning a Stanley Cup one day.

thanks all - helpful input!
as a condo-dweller, i also feel that the "safety" issue is far less of an issue. if i were to own a house, having to deal with petty street crime and vandalism would be a huge pain. Another point for condos :)

I used to live around Jarvis and Richmond and always felt quite safe. But a female co-worker who lived across the street from me hated Queen St around us. From her perspective, especially late at night, there were a lot of (offensive) cat calls, needle on the ground, etc. As a male, I was really oblivious to most of it, but that's was mainly because I was rarely confronted by the homeless folks there.

I'd agree with @evandyk in saying that the boundaries of the neighbourhood are roughly the area between church, adelaide, parliament, and the rail lines however i dont think there is a standard definition.

Regarding safety, and of course with my male privilege aside, the neighbourhood is very safe in my eyes. There is certainly some homelessness in the neighbourhood but that can be said about any neighbourhood in the core. To the north is Moss Park (although if you go with city view's I'm already in Moss Park by being on King East), which is a lot "sketchier" due to its concentration of homelessness, and general poverty.

Urbinz on Front Street @ Church is closing. Another pot store??

Stoners Pot Palace perhaps?

xT5LMVQJnydSnTp7S8.gif

I know you jest, but I definitely hope not!, there's already two quite nearby IIRC. I really liked Urbinz - it was a good addition to that strip.
Indeed I jest but that block of Front is looking quite 'vulnerable". From memory, and I just walked past (!), you have the LCBO, the (new) A&W, the odd fabric shop, the closed Starbucks, the small news stand, the closed shoe store, the open pot shop, the bar (Dukes), the closed Jersey Giant and (not-yet-open) pot shop, the Papillion restaurant, the (basement) C'est What and the other not-yet-opened pot shop. I have no problem with (or need of) pot shops but their BIG disadvantage for neighbourhoods is the Alcohol & Gaming Commission rules that state the windows must be opaque, (Apparently i's OK to see into beer, wine and LCBO stores but someone viewing inside a pot shop is likely to be offended or get insatiable urges to smoke up! (Certainly not "Eyes on the Street:!)

Back