News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 988     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

St Lawrence Market

People aren’t happy about the signage for the new Monarch Dentistry office going in at the former Coffee Time. It shows only white people (note, it shows far more people than pictured here, all of which are white). Definitely not at all reflective of the neighbourhood they hope to serve. I definitely overheard more than one person complaining and making fun of it, and now this.

People aren’t happy about the signage for the new Monarch Dentistry office going in at the former Coffee Time.

The first thing I noticed about that signage is that they put the decals on the outside of the window. I predicted that it wouldn't be more than a few days before it was vandalized, either like this or with scraping/gouging. And the prophecy has been fulfilled. I hope they come up with a better solution. Welcome to the neighbourhood, haha.

On a tastier note, it looks like some more food options are going into the Globe and Mail building, on the King Street side opposite the Pumpernickel's closer to the Rooster coffee shop. There's signage now for King Street Foods with logos for Bar Buca, Jacobs & Co. and some other trendy restaurants. I'm not sure but I remember hearing this was possibly going to be a miniature food market/food court with vendors from the St. Lawrence Market. I'm assuming that didn't work out but this could be a higher-end version of that concept. http://kingstreetfood.com/

People aren’t happy about the signage for the new Monarch Dentistry office going in at the former Coffee Time. It shows only white people (note, it shows far more people than pictured here, all of which are white). Definitely not at all reflective of the neighbourhood they hope to serve. I definitely overheard more than one person complaining and making fun of it, and now this.

It seems Monarch Dentistry have taken the critical graffiti to heart and replaced some of the panels with a much more multicultural gaggle of smiley people.

The Petite Thuet location on King East near Princess is now closed and the space for lease. There's a Globe article from last November about their new industrial bakery in Leslieville, so I'm guessing they've moved out there. This location used to sell bread to the public but then they gradually stopped. I hope something more interesting moves in, it's a bit of an odd building with a staircase right inside the entrance. I remember when it used to be Zoulpy's Deli.

The Petite Thuet location on King East near Princess is now closed and the space for lease. There's a Globe article from last November about their new industrial bakery in Leslieville, so I'm guessing they've moved out there. This location used to sell bread to the public but then they gradually stopped. I hope something more interesting moves in, it's a bit of an odd building with a staircase right inside the entrance. I remember when it used to be Zoulpy's Deli.
It was quite hard to tell that one could go into it so I think its move is hardly a loss!

True True Pizza is closed up to be renovated into some kind of Italian restaurant, but keeping the same name.
I saw that one coming when they started plastering their windows with things like "$1 beer! (with the purchase of another beer)" and advertisements for food order services.

True True Pizza is closed up to be renovated into some kind of Italian restaurant, but keeping the same name.

It's going to be True True diner in collaboration with Suzanne Barr, a well-known and well-liked chef formerly of Saturday Dinette.

There's more info on their website https://truetruediner.com/ and Barr has her own website also at https://www.suzannebarrfood.com/. We watched the documentary that is mentioned on there and it was very good. I'm looking forward to having a chance to try her food in our neighbourhood.

As for True True Pizza, I really enjoyed their pizza: they had some great tasty combinations. But I found their "system" to be unreliable and cumbersome. Ordering always required lot of shouting over extremely high barriers with exhaust fans pumping (probably required for food safety purposes) and often neither me nor the staff could hear or understand each other well. Several times in a row I ended up with the wrong orders, or they misunderstand my name (which is not at all exotic) and my order sat forever as they repeatedly called out some other name that sounded absolutely nothing like mine. After a few annoying experiences like that we just stopped going for the hassle.

I hope their new concept has actual tables and waiters, or at least a simple numbered ticket system or something. Tip for the restaurant industry: don't make the ordering process a cumbersome ordeal.

Good move by True True, since Pi Co, a similar business with more buzz, has moved in a short distance away on Church.

Last edited:

Back