News   Oct 02, 2024
 282     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 378     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 450     0 

Spadina Subway Extension

I agree that Sheppard line should be extended westward to Yonge. There's just too much just dumping onto Yonge line. It seems silly not to connect it.

I think that should only be a priority once Sheppard is extended to STC and should only go west if it continues toward Etobicoke. The only people riding Sheppard that will transfer to Spadina would be those going to York. I doubt many heading downtown would take the long way presented by Spadina.

dan e: I share your skepticism. I was just listening to Mayor Miller saying that the city would not be in a position to build the transit line unless "many millions of dollars" in budget shortfalls were addressed. In other words, a more comprehensive funding package than just one subway line.

In addition I keep reiterating that something will have to be done about the Scarborough light rail line. We were told that it has a remaining life expectancy of ten years, and replacing it would take, at minimum, six years.

Believe it or not, it's actually quicker sometimes to skip transfering to the bloor line at Yonge, and just continue on Yonge all the way around to get to St.George.

"If you look at the GoogleMaps of the area, the Allen Rd. is surrounded by single-family, car-driving homes. Not "urban" at all."

Not new for this city - much of Rosedale is within walking distance of two subway lines.

"Not sure I buy your total argument, but regardless, I live downtown and avoid many of the streetcar lines like the plague as it often takes 45 minutes (to an hour) to get from Parliament to Parkdale. Something is wrong with that situation as well."

How often would it be quicker to travel up a bit to the subway and take that across town? I know, you shouldn't have to, but, hey, if you have to, you have to.

"I agree that Sheppard line should be extended westward to Yonge. There's just too much just dumping onto Yonge line. It seems silly not to connect it."

I've always thought that extending it to Downsview is a prerequisite for the York extension's success. Anything that bridges the Yonge Street transit divide is a good thing.

"^ Note that this route would also make sense for those headed to U of T, as it would eliminate one transfer."

Or two, for the many that continue on to Museum or Queen's Park.

I think that the inter regional impact of this extension is being greatly overstated. Realize that no matter what part of the 905 you live in, extending the subway to Jane and Steeles will in no way impact how you travel to York University. In other words, the subway will offer absolutely no incentive to stop driving to York for those who live in the 905 area. Furthermore, nearly all the transit trips originating in the 905 and passing through this area end at York. Essentially 0% of the existing 905 transit trips have any need to continue south on the subway.

It's certainly symbolic, however I wouldn't be surprised if the ridership from York Region never materializes. Jane and Steeles is not a central location by any means. No one from Markham, Richmond Hill, Aurora, Newmarket, or Thornhill will have any use for this subway line. Why travel all the way west to Jane St. on a bus when the Yonge line ultimately takes you to the exact same place?

This subway extension is only useful for people commuting to York from the south, ie Toronto. If anything, the reduced number of Toronto residents parking at York will make it even easier to drive and park at York if you live in the 905 area. Viva in Vaughan is the only part that has not met ridership expectations because people really like their cars out there. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the same will be true for the subway extension in terms of getting 905 people onto the TTC.

i suspect connecting the Sheppard line to the Spadina line would make the crowding on Yonge worse, not better. if they're connected you're going to have people from the NW corner of the city shooting over to Yonge/Sheppard and taking Yonge straight south. i wouldn't want to see the Yonge and Spadina lines connected until we have some form of a DRL (or maybe even an extensive Don Mills LRT) in place.

and i'm curious to see how future maps describe the Y-U-S line now that it's going to be running as far west as Keele. will it just be the Yellow Line, or something else

I doubt they would bother changing the name: they've never incorporated the name Allen into the YUS despite the expressway not having been known as the Spadina expressway for decades now.

What else would it be anyway? YUSY? Burgher - you're a TTCer, aren't you? Is there any serious shop talk about a new name?

But, if it happens often and you have a car, would you drive this trip from Parliament to Parkdale?
I probably would, depending on the time of day.

i spent some time with the TTC a few years back and got to explore parts of the system that most people will never see, but i was on the maintenance side, not the administrative, and I haven't stayed in touch with anyone, so i'm not exactly an inside source

Transit projects await green light
York subway funding sparks hopes
Municipalities look to provincial budget
Mar. 8, 2006. 05:20 AM
KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

Expectations are high that provincial support for a York University subway will help kickstart transit projects across the Greater Toronto Area.

Mississauga's long-awaited Transitway, York Region's engineering phase for bus-only lanes, and Brampton's first foray into bus rapid transit are among the projects believed at the top of the provincial spending list alongside extending the Spadina subway line to York University.

"We've all been working together to create transit networks that work seamlessly with each other," said Brampton Mayor Sue Fennell. "I feel very positive about our talks with the province and the federal government."

Fennell said it wouldn't make sense for the province to fund a Toronto subway and not other transit projects. "We see the GTA as one big economic basin," she said. "The province is very focused on GTA-wide transportation projects."

Yesterday, the Star reported that the province is expected to announce funding for the subway extension in the March 23 budget. The $1.5 billion, 6.2 kilometre extension would run from Downsview station to York's campus.

Transportation Minister Harinder Takhar would not confirm or deny the report yesterday. But he acknowledged that a Spadina subway line extension was consistent with the government's goals.

"Public transit is our priority and we want to make public transit a viable alternative for commuters and that is one way we feel we can address the issue of congestion," he said.

Takhar would not discuss any specific plans. "Let me just say this, I think some of those projects have been known around for a long time and we want to make sure that some of those projects do get done and the issue of congestion gets addressed."

Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion said she hoped provincial transit funding would be based on need. She has long lobbied for cash to get the city's Transitway built.

"There's not enough money to go around, so if you're going to give out money based on something other than priority and need, it's not going to solve the problem," said McCallion.

Mississauga needs $240 million to build the Transitway, a bus-only road along Highway 403 and Eastgate Parkway from Burnhamthorpe Rd. to Eglinton Ave. Its major hub would be at the bus terminal at Square One. It could be extended to the airport or to Kipling subway station, and would have stations as well as connections with other bus lines.

It is also a core component of GO Transit's bus rapid transit line — a 100-kilometre bus-only highway linking Oakville and Pickering, roughly parallel to Highway 407. That's a $1 billion project that is expected to begin with the Transitway.

In York Region, the expected subway extension will help create a transit hub in the northwest where the TTC, York buses, GO Transit and highway interconnect.

"We're cautiously optimistic that we're moving in the right direction," said Mary Frances Turner, vice-president of the York Region Rapid Transit Co. which oversees Viva bus service. "We were told if there was going to be an announcement, it would be part of a budget."

Viva would like also to expand, to get its buses into dedicated lanes. York Region has a $1.5 billion project in hand to build 100 kilometres of bus-only lanes, mostly along Yonge St. and Highway 7. It hopes to begin this year with engineering work on the first stage: a $420 million project to build 22 kilometres of bus lanes on Yonge St. between Steeles Ave. and Bernard Ave. in Richmond Hill, and on Highway 7 from Richmond Hill Centre to Markham Centre.

Brampton is also looking to beef up transit service and has been asking for federal and provincial funding for AcceleRide, a $230 million Viva-like project for Queen St. and Highway 10.

And Milton just produced a document which recommends the creation of a transit line west of Ninth line, abutting Mississauga's Transitway.

with files from robert benzie

Could this mean that funding for the relocation of the bus bays from Islington to KIpling is in the works? If so, the redevelopment of the Islington property would advance pretty quickly.

I'm curious to see how future maps describe the Y-U-S line now

I doubt they would bother changing the name

Why would the name be changed? York University is a University which makes the current name just as appropriate. Now two Universities will be on the Yonge-University-Spadina line. Maybe they should just drop the Spadina part.

The more I think of it, the more I think it has to be built, Downsview to Sheppard. If you're worried about the traffic going from NW Toronto to Yonge line, then just build it westbound, or no transfers to Northbound Yonge at Sheppard-Yonge! Haha;)

I think that the only logical step now is to build a university near the terminus of the Yonge part of the yellow line so that we can call it University Line. City Univerity Toronto (CUT) anyone?

I think that the only logical step now is to build a university near the terminus of the Yonge part of the yellow line so that we can call it University Line. City Univerity Toronto (CUT) anyone?

I hope you're not serious. Building something that big just to get a name change for a subway line isn't really a wise thing to do.

Note that there already is a university on the Yonge subway. Ryerson University is served by College and Dundas subway stations.

From the National Post, Wed. March 8, page A10:

Ontario can take funding to build a subway to York Universit and place it "where the sun doesn't shine" unless the province also provides money to operate the new line, the TTC chairman said yesterday. ... TTC chairman Howard Moscoe said the city will not expand its transit system until existing needs are addressed.

"If the Premier wants to build a subway and also offers sustainable funding for the TTC, then I will give him a big hug, break out the shovels and we can start digging together", Mr. Moscoe said. "If he doesn't, he can take the subway to where the sun doesn't shine -- which is York Region."

Transit advocates yesterday were also critical of the expansion. "This is like building an addition on your house when your phone has been disconnected and you can't afford to pay your natural gas bill" said Gord Perks of the Toronto Environmental Alliance. "It's just completely backwards."

Mr. Perks said the province should instead invest in improving existing bus and streetcar service and expanding GO Transit

---
Always count on Moscoe for colorful comments.:)
He has a real point.

Back