News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

South Unionville Square (Kennedy n of 407, Mady Dev Corp, 12s, Turner Fleischer) COMPLETE

not that I know ... why is that ??

May 30, 2009

i put myself down for 2 condos...all 1 bedroom as by the time i got there, all the 2 bedrooms were gone. they said they had opened up the condos to T&T employees yesterday so it was pretty slim pickings after.

I think all in all, they are about 60% sold right now.

I don't think they'll have any problems selling this one!

checking out the sales office again this past weekend ... I counted only 86 units sold (52%) on the availability board in this 165 unit condo project, including any units sold since felport's post above on May 30th, it appears there's quite a few purchasers backing out of the deal, and sales are not advancing as well as they hoped ... I'm not particularly suprised given this project provides a low-end product IMO being majority small investor/tenant targetted suites combined with very poorly designed floorplans :(

What's more, I feel that the builder is very sketchy on the details, this is the first site where I was not able to find the following information listed anywhere in the marketing brochure package that is supposed to sell you on purchasing a condo here (instead the sales people would only tell you when asked):
  • estimated maintenance fee
  • estimated occupancy
  • standard features / finishes
  • proposed building amenities

on a side note ... I am certain at previous community meetings (during rezoning application) Cliff Korman of Kirkor Architects represented Mady and provided a presentation on the proposal ... I wonder if it is Kirkor that is responsible for the overall complex's design concept whereas Turner Fleisher Architects is only responsible for only the residential condo portion or perhaps just the working drawings :confused:

I plan to go visit the site this week and see the current update on sales.

As the discussion earlier about traffic congestion. This is an issue for me. Along Steeles from Markham To the 404 -- Also, Steeles to Hwy. 7 along kennedy -- I see huge traffic congestion.

First at markham going along steeles to kennedy we got: Walmart plaza, landmark plaza, 2 new condos (one being done by Mady) Splendid China Tower 1 and Splendid China Tower 2 (soon to be done by Sheldon Esbin), Pacific Mall, NEW - Market Village Complex. Then along Steeles to the 404 we have the large residential areas, large plazas and as we approach the 404 the industrial/office park of south markham. On The Other side of the 404 we are going to see Wycliffe take down the Shoppes on Steeles and replace with a number of condo buildings and a large commercial sector.

Anyways, back to kennedy. I see many people are going to take Old Kennedy but Old Kennedy Rd is now filled with medium and high density residential.

As Real Estate Investor interests, I see these complexes having tremoundous gains for the local economy, foreign investment, the local chinese community etc. My worry is traffic and lighting issues.

As a resident of Markham, I see it everyday becoming more and more of the powerhouse of the GTA and we are beautifully located as infrastructure goes. We are attracting foreign interest but the Town Of Markham is struggling with a lack of Commercial properties. They are more interested in seeing new commercial applications being brought in than ever. As we are seeing with the woodbine(honda Plant) OPA 144 extend to the north markham boundary until it hits stouffville one concession block north of 19th -- I approve of this development. I am familiar with Mady's background. They focus on Commercial Real Estate here (they completed a small office park on woodbine north of hwy. 7) and would like to see this project on its way up.

Thanks,

Mihail
Invest-I-Can Group Ltd.

November 22 2009 update

Excavation well underway @ South Unionvile Square
Click to Enlarge

Yes, noticed that as I drive through the area alot. Thanks for letting people know with the photos. Actually got a letter invitation for the ground breaking ceremony, but found out there won't be any drinks or food, so didn't go:)

That's a very good sign for anyone involved with this building as the scheduled date is around July 2011 for opening. Hopefully it doesn't stop there like the Landmark or the Oriental Centre Mall at Brimley and Sheppard which was deserted for what, 15-20 years?

Solaris, any update on sales and prices for the units? Haven't been at the sales office there since we bought our unit in the spring, so would be curious to know what is still available. Thanks.

that's a big assumption you're making ... the Census data for Markham (part of Toronto CMA) does not specifically distinguish between Mandarin vs Cantonese Chinese population within the municipality

I thought most Chinese people in Markham were of Cantonese origin so Mandarin wouldn't work as well right?

Majority is still Cantonese dialect, but more and more are are mainland Mandarin speaking. Eventually a big chuck of Markham will be Mandarin speaking as it is the language of choice now even for most Cantonese speaking families as they send their kids to Mandarin school over Cantonese schools these days. Spadina and Broadview Chinatowns for example are primarily Mandarin speaking these days due to the large immigrant influx over the years. This influx will eventually reach the suburbs of Markham and even Richmond Hill.

South Unionville Square could be a model for future suburbs
Project recreates the same ambience, atmosphere, ownership model and lifestyle that Chinese newcomers to Canada thrived on for centuries in cities such as Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...Estate (The Globe and Mail - Real Estate News)

TERRENCE BELFORD
Published on Thursday, Dec. 10, 2009 1:40PM EST
Last updated on Friday, Dec. 11, 2009 2:44AM EST

I do not usually write about individual projects. This week I am making an exception.

The reason is simple; this one is an example of where cities should be going.

During the past two weeks I have looked at the direction urban centres – the GTA especially – must head to ensure livability and a certain quality of life for their residents. They have to go up instead of out; they have to mix residential, retail and office in neighbourhoods; they have to get away from the need for gas-driven vehicles to handle daily errands, and they have to substitute public spaces for private yards.

The project I want to take a look at here is called South Unionville Square. It is in Markham on the east side of Kennedy Road between highways 7 and 407 and it incorporates almost all of the features listed above, as well as a couple of others worthy of a round of applause.

First, the entire project – shopping mall, offices and residential tower – is geared toward the GTA's Chinese community; second, every square inch – save for the supermarket that anchors the mall – is condominium space.

Merchants get to own their stores – some as small as 10 feet by 10 feet – residents get to own their own suites, and the dentists, accountants, hairdressers and small-business people who take over the commercial space get to own their own premises.

In essence, South Unionville Square recreates the ambience, atmosphere, ownership model and lifestyle that Chinese newcomers to Canada thrived on for centuries in cities such as Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing.

A few facts about the project:

Mady Development Corp. is taking a 7.5-acre site and building a 300,000-square-foot, two-level shopping mall with 300 stores and 80,000 square feet of office space, and an adjoining 11-storey residential tower with 200 suites.

The mall will be anchored by a T&T supermarket, the Chinese food-store chain recently acquired by Loblaws. There will also be parking for 1,500 cars at grade and in an underground garage that connects all the structures.

To provide vital public space for relaxing, entertaining and recreation, there will be a 20,000-square-foot rooftop terrace accessible from the fourth floor of the residential tower.

“What we had going for us from the start was a Chinese partner,†says Charles Mady, president of the Mady Group. The partner, however, prefers not to be identified.

“He showed us things and gave us insights we just would never have had otherwise,†Mr. Mady says. “He helped us arrange a feng shui expert to make sure everything was properly sited and aligned. He explained small things like making sure we had gas ranges and high-speed vents in the residential units.

“Our buyers will want to cook with woks, and gas is necessary to get the right heat from the ranges and the ventilation is essential to get rid of the steam that rises from the woks.â€

The project has proved a commercial as well as critical success. The retail stores went on sale first and are 85 per cent sold. The office space is half gone and the residential suites are about 70 per cent sold.

Esther Yeung, a financial adviser with a nearby bank, bought a one-bedroom suite shortly after they went on sale late this summer. Her 600-square-foot one-bedroom unit has a balcony, a parking spot and a storage locker and she paid less than $200,000, she says.

Granted, the 30-year-old already owns a home with her husband David Hui in Markham. But Ms. Yeung's mom and dad are nearing retirement age and are thinking of coming to live in Canada. South Unionville Square will meet their needs to a T, she says.

“It will be as close as they can get to the way they live at home,†she says. “In their apartment building in Hong Kong there is a grocery store on the ground floor, so mom just takes the elevator down every day to shop.

“At South Unionville Square she can buy fresh food every day and that is important to the Chinese.â€

If mom and dad delay their retirement beyond the move-in date two years down the road, Ms. Yeung says she sees no difficulty in renting the suite. Rents will easily cover mortgage and maintenance costs, she figures.

“There is really nothing else like it,†she says. “Unless you have come to Canada as an immigrant, it is hard to understand how wonderful it is to find a place to live where you are surrounded by the culture and way of life you grew up with.â€

And if the daily pleasures of living in a recreated Chinese neighbourhood are not enough to meet your needs, there is the public transit stop right next to the residential tower and Highways 7 and 407 minutes away by car.

“Frankly, if I could find a site and a similar community need, I would do it againin a shot,†Mr. Mady says.

Special to The Globe and Mail

February 15 2010 update

quite a bit of construction equipment digging away on site ... excavation well underway ~ :)

View from South Unionville Avenue
Click to Enlarge

Yes, the contruction is going ahead smoothly and hopefully on time. I know that I got a letter recently promoting the resential condo sales to promote it more. Don't know what the sales numbers are for the residential units. I know that pretty much all of the commercial units and most of the office units are sold already though.
Wei

Back