News   Apr 23, 2024
 87     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

South Unionville Square (Kennedy n of 407, Mady Dev Corp, 12s, Turner Fleischer) COMPLETE

I don't think you can use the "garbage, noise and traffic" argument for someone who is supportive of a Walmart in Leslieville, which would have attracted the vast majority of its shoppers outside from outside of the neighbourhood, while the balance has to put up with the traffic, noise, and garbage from it.

Interesting to note that SmartCentres is incredibly non-inclusive - they pick and choose the retailers allowed to open there to establish the "mix" they most desire. In fact - all of your "inclusive" "western" malls are like that. Good luck trying to open a small business in any mall in the GTA nowadays.

Few points...
Markville Mall is inclusive and caters to all races, ethnic groups, languages etc... ie. 100% of the population
Chinese Malls only cater to Chinese people. (34% of the population). So what about the other 66% ???

Neither mall caters to anyone but people who want to shop there. I don't shop at WalMart or any of Markville's anchors, so it obviously doesn't cater to me. Conversely, if a Chinese-Canadian wants to buy a flat screen TV they will probably go to the BestBuy @ Markville. Ethnicity or the ethnicity of the shopkeepers doesn't enter into the decision. By contrast, PacMall (to pick an example) caters to me because it has shops I want to shop at (i.e. Canada Computers). People don't shop along sectarian lines.

And don't give me the arguement that they don't discriminate when their signs are in Chinese ONLY.
There have been many times where I or people I know have had horrible experiences in Pacific Mall where shop keepers will give you dirty looks, refuse service, quote a different price etc..

Its not an argument, it is a fact. I have never met anyone who has been "refused service" at PacMall or given dirty looks. Maybe an occasional language issue, but that is in now way discriminatory. Are restaurants that have French names, say the Auberge du Pommiere, discriminatory? Their name is in French! There are only 50odd thousand Franco-Torontonians! What about the community at large? Wont somebody think of the children?!?!

Sure, they will sell/lease space to anyone, but there is a lot of discrimination behind the scenes that would spell failure for any business that is not part of the specific ethnic community of the centre.

Huh? PacMall was developed by Jewish Canadians... How does this fit into your conspiracy theory?

As one of dem white folks, I enjoy Pacific Mall, or rather I don't feel as if it tries to exclude me. I also love T&T Supermarkets, and it's not as if it's meant for Chinese people only; that's just ridiculous, as ridiculous as saying that Chinese food restaurants, or any place of a specific ethnic theme are exclusive.

Also,
Huh? PacMall was developed by Jewish Canadians... How does this fit into your conspiracy theory?

Oh snap on Realtycoon?

Last edited:
The problem is that I can't even state an opinion without being called racist or ignorant..

Growing up in Unionville, I've witnessed first hand the change in the community. I've also been a victim of discrimination and racism as a minority in the community...

The development of these centres catering to one ethnic group doesn't help in building and development a multi-cultural neighbouthood and society. Instead, it comtributes to the ethnic divsions of neighbourhoods, which in the long run, we all lose..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to the moderators of the site for helping keep the peace here.

I realize that this is a controversial topic, but the realty is, that this is a very divisive issue in Markham that is not going away...

The problem is, anytime opinions are expressed either way, the baseless accusations of racism come flying out from all sides.

meh ... some of you need to open up and embrace the awesome diversity in the GTA. I love going to Woodbridge and eating out at all the italian cafes/restaurants. I enjoy going down to gerrard and taking in little india and i absolutely love all the schawarmas along yonge/finch. I have no problem with pacmall or anyother ethnic shopping places/neighbourhoods in the GTA either. I think it's cool and exciting to have all these places to visit and explore right here in the GTA.

Ignore Realtycoon .... he sounds like pretty boring guy.

Just as a last word of sort, it is probably important to recognize that multi-culturalism is a two way street. For quite a while, we have been going on the assumption that white people were, in various capacities, responsible for much of the discrimination in Canada. Thats probably not so true anymore, and we should always be doing more to combat discrimination in all it's forms. I'm just not so sure canceling developments because they are themed after one ethnicity or another combats discrimination at all. Indeed, isn't discriminating on building permits based on ethnicity one of the main forms of, well, discrimination?

Back OT, I would like to point out that this development is occurring completely without LRT. Is there a correlation? No, none that I can see. But it should show that this kind of midrise "avenue-ization", of which this would probably be archetypal, is in now way dependent on random tram routes serving their corridor.

Anyway, to add some content, I want to say that I approve of this development. Mall development isn't going to be obliterated anytime soon, however this is a step in the right direction in terms of urbanizing it.

Last edited:
Back on topic? Yes!

I've never heard of this developer....perhaps anyone here would be able to tell me if they've done something similar to this proposal before or if this is all new to them.

That might make a difference in execution.

(Though, I'm half-expecting to be told to go search them and their portfolio....groan)

ah, interesting!

I wonder if they'll use the same idea i.e. you actually "buy" the units not lease - it's a condo mall < the one being developed in Scarborough that is.

It appears that it will also be a condominium retail mall, which is popular amongst the newer larger centres - the developer can get out quick, and small business owners have the incentive of having a bit of equity going in case their businesses go under

Back