News   Apr 26, 2024
 509     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 379     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 577     0 

South Unionville Square (Kennedy n of 407, Mady Dev Corp, 12s, Turner Fleischer) COMPLETE

Back OT, I would like to point out that this development is occurring completely without LRT. Is there a correlation? No, none that I can see. But it should show that this kind of midrise "avenue-ization", of which this would probably be archetypal, is in now way dependent on random tram routes serving their corridor.

in fact this segment of Kennedy Road (from north of 407 to Hwy 7) is serviced by VIVA Blue, which has confirmed plans upon implmentation of VIVA Phase 2, a LRT line will run in a dedicated right-of-way in the middle of the road (like Spadina now) ... this line follows the current Viva Blue line which runs east across Hwy 7, south on Warden, east on Entreprise Dr, north on Kennedy, then east on Hwy 7 ... in that respect there are higher order public transit 'options'

I've never heard of this developer....perhaps anyone here would be able to tell me if they've done something similar to this proposal before or if this is all new to them.

That might make a difference in execution.

(Though, I'm half-expecting to be told to go search them and their portfolio....groan)

Mady developments have largely done commercial-industrial type developments in GTA, the only similar residential proposal is Milliken Centre as wyliepoon noted, so I can't say I have complete confidence in their demostrated residential-mixed use experience ... we can only hope I suppose :confused:

ah, interesting!

I wonder if they'll use the same idea i.e. you actually "buy" the units not lease - it's a condo mall < the one being developed in Scarborough that is.

Yes, this is in fact a condo mall that owners actually buy the commercial units (not rent) and pay a condo maintenance fee

I've been let down so many times I'm not gonna hold my breath but I'm hoping for the best at this site. The current proposal is pretty tip-top.

I really like the fact that this mall design is so experimental, just like a lot of Chinese malls in north Scarborough and Markham over the past couple of years. The closest mall designs to this one, in regards to parking arrangement, include New Century Plaza (Warden/Steeles) which has two levels of shopping (street level and basement) and two levels of parking deck above, and a building near Midland and Finch which has two enclosed parking levels with a shopping mall at street level and offices above the parking.

I was looking at the Mady website and was curious to find little Chinese connections to the company. I really don't know how they got into the Chinese-oriented development business in the 905, but I think it's a good thing that non-conventional mall designs are making it into the mainstream.

I find it interesting that T&T is setting up shop again, right between their Warden/Steeles store and Middlefield/Steeles store. As much as I love T&T (and its hot food counters), I'm starting to think whether the store has now proven itself as the Walmart of the Chinese community, and how big-box T&T is forcing out smaller Chinese businesses.

Here's best of luck to The Mall, and here's hoping that it will turn out like its namesake (Chinese name) in Mongkok, Hong Kong (Langham Place).

879361359_d7a8f17453_o.jpg

drool .... only if buildings like Langham Place was built anywhere in TO, nonetheless Markham :cool:

Scaled Model

A complete compilation of scale model photos for this project ~

T&T @ Northwest Corner - Kennedy Road at right
IMG_3626.jpg

Central Entrance - facing Kennedy Road
IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

Rooftop Garden
IMG_3629.jpg

Southwest Corner - Kennedy Road at left
IMG_3630.jpg

The Condominium
IMG_3631.jpg

The Condo Entrance
IMG_3632.jpg

The Parking Acess - South Unionville Avenue in foreground
IMG_3633.jpg

Southeast Corner
IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

View of Building Elevations Facing Interior Parking Area
IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

Looks great... now hopefully those Chinese investors would stop gawking at the model and buy some units so we can get the shovel in the ground! And hopefully the development will end up looking like the model.

I don't know how well the patio seating would work in front of that bubble tea shop. I've been to many Chinese restaurants and bubble tea shops with patios and they're always empty. Looks like we haven't really developed a patio culture yet.

On a personal note, I bought a office unit in this plaza so I can move my practice to. Currently work just down the street at Kennedy and Dension so Kennedy and 407 is a good move for me as it's only a 5 min drive away.

The only problem with the condo retail part as with most recent condo retails (ie, Splendid China Mall) is that similar to residential condos, where most are bought by speculators. This is of course a bad thing as many units will be empty for sale or lease (ie again. Splendid China Mall)

The retail units in this plaza sold out really fast. The office part however didn't and will be bought by professionals, established businesses, etc.. over time.

If this plaza wasn't anchored by T&T supermarket, I don't think it would see the light of day (ie. The Landmark Mall at Steeles and Middlefield). However T&T has pretty much been bang on in terms of their stores so should do well. The design is really nice in that it's a true mixed use development of retail, office and residential unit.

On a personal note, I bought a office unit in this plaza so I can move my practice to. Currently work just down the street at Kennedy and Dension so Kennedy and 407 is a good move for me as it's only a 5 min drive away.

The only problem with the condo retail part as with most recent condo retails (ie, Splendid China Mall) is that similar to residential condos, where most are bought by speculators. This is of course a bad thing as many units will be empty for sale or lease (ie again. Splendid China Mall)

The retail units in this plaza sold out really fast. The office part however didn't and will be bought by professionals, established businesses, etc.. over time.

If this plaza wasn't anchored by T&T supermarket, I don't think it would see the light of day (ie. The Landmark Mall at Steeles and Middlefield). However T&T has pretty much been bang on in terms of their stores so should do well. The design is really nice in that it's a true mixed use development of retail, office and residential unit.

What about the landmark mall? It's under construction right now.

I was told by a realtor that they've stopped building for now due to lack of interests since the recession began. If you look at the site, nothing has been done since they prepped the land. The SuperWalmart for example has already been built and they started building after the Landmark.
I don't think they've cancelled the project, but it has been suspended.

I was told by a realtor that they've stopped building for now due to lack of interests since the recession began. If you look at the site, nothing has been done since they prepped the land. The SuperWalmart for example has already been built and they started building after the Landmark.
I don't think they've cancelled the project, but it has been suspended.

haha! Oh, I had know idea. Honestly, I can't say I'm too surprised though.

Thanks for the info ... should post it in the landmark mall thread!

This project is still a go. They have the project team lined up and should be starting once the weather gets better, they wanted to wait till winter was over.
This according to the sales executive, I know, I Know.

This project is still a go. They have the project team lined up and should be starting once the weather gets better, they wanted to wait till winter was over.
This according to the sales executive, I know, I Know.

landmark mall you mean? hmm but they started construction earlier, why start then wait?

The Landmark is right next to T&T's Middlefield store, so in a way it is also anchored by one.

I did some shopping there this evening, and I can tell you the Landmark site does look very empty.

Back