News   Mar 28, 2024
 690     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 468     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 794     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

But no reduction in budget.

These stations are strikingly expensive for what they propose to deliver.

At this price point, I expect granite platforms, elaborate canopies, and finishes second to none.

Yeah thats my only complaint about this. But it seems all transit projects are getting super expensive these days

Interesting how some station structures, tunnels, etc have been "deferred". These stations will be quite bare bones.

Perhaps that will be a contrast to the more customary Metrolinx design largesse.

- Paul

The largesse only applies when there's a plethora of free parking to be provided (see the Bloomington Garage Mahal)

Is there any indication why they are so expensive? Doesn't jive with the "VE'd to death" signals at all.

I would say its unclear, for the most part; what we have are high-level concept plans.

We don't have either the detailed drawings or any notes on land acquisition or other related costs.

In the case of Finch (Stouffville Line) I'm expecting that the cost of the Grade Separation is built-in to the budget.

But no such work is required for East Harbour, Liberty, Bloor or St. Clair.

But I would assume (without evidence) that non-station costs are being billed to the respective projects.

Lansdowne, East Harbour, St Clair, and Parkdale are all being built in fairly tight built-up locations. I wonder whether that drives up construction costs or includes added work eg utility relocation that a greenfield suburban site doesn’t entail.

Does the plan for St Clair include widening the St Clair underpass?

Certainly a modern station is a lot more complicated than a 1967 GO station, which was really just a strip of asphalt bordered with railway ties with some bus shelters on it. Shelter and platform electricals, snow melting, platform edging, security cameras, electronic signage, etc. Still, the price tags are sure steep.

- Paul

The 2017/2018 plan includes 2 additional traffic lanes between Keele and Old Weston. The EA also has a number of roadway extensions to make the station accessible. Davenport to Union, Gunns Road to Turnberry, but I'm not sure how many of those will make the tender and how many will be deferred to the future. I see $100M in roadway/bridge/underpass elements, not including land acquisition.

The December 2020 plan, in the PDFs, are zoomed in but still show fragments of the Gunns Road and St. Clair underpasses, so I assume all roadworks are still intended.

29151-100776.png

Last edited:
The Bloor-Lansdowne Station is almost useless - poor connections to Bloor Street, and awful access to the subway, especially without a multi-use path overpass to the north side. Cutting the south side tunnel and stairs makes access to MoCA and the bike parking areas really bad. Imagine you get off a northbound train and you're at the south side of the platform.

It's been value engineered to death. And we're paying for it and calling it SmartTrack?

t View attachment 295247
Especially as a moderator, please don't jump all over the previous poster. If they're excited about the station and its positive impact on their commute, so be it.

Lansdowne, East Harbour, St Clair, and Parkdale are all being built in fairly tight built-up locations. I wonder whether that drives up construction costs or includes added work eg utility relocation that a greenfield suburban site doesn’t entail.

Certainly a modern station is a lot more complicated than a 1967 GO station, which was really just a strip of asphalt bordered with railway ties with some bus shelters on it. Shelter and platform electricals, snow melting, platform edging, security cameras, electronic signage, etc. Still, the price tags are sure steep.

- Paul

I know Liberty is going to be a tight fit. But I think they are shoehorning a lot of other projects into each of these stations, like the work at St.Clair, crossing bridge at Liberty, grade sep at Finch ave, etc.

At the rate this is going there won't be any stations left. Just track. ;)

Now look what you did! You made the song '99 bottles of beer on the wall' pop into my head......

Except I can hear it being sung..........as...."There's 22 stations in Smart Track"

Back