News   Dec 06, 2019
 566     3 
News   Dec 06, 2019
 635     7 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
What I don't understand about ST is why it stops at Eglinton. The entire Union to Brampton section on the Kitchener line is completely grade separated so why doesn't it just continue on towards Brampton, Pearson, or at least Woodbine?
True, but it shouldn't be very hard to add those stations north of Eglinton in a sort of Phase 2.

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
Providing redundancy to key areas is a very underrated aspect of Smarttrack.

Some are trying to create a push back against "overbuilding" transit in terms of ridership but here we would be providing extra options as well as introducing a new layer of reliability that is much needed. Both items are extremely important to actually get more commuters confident enough to choose public transit.
Agreed.

I would be inclined to keep all possible SmartTrack stations in/near dowtown, even if both East Harbor and Gerrard match Ontario Line stations:
1) That provides some redundancy, in case of service disruptions.
2) Downtown is expanding, the eastern shoulder will have quite a few destinations on its own. More stations there mean fewer transfers at other interchange stations.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
No, I'm not bumping this thread just for its own sake.... but it's hard to discuss the current Toronto-Ontario agreement in individual threads when it covers so many different projects. I wonder if the mods would allow an omnibus Toronto-Ontario Transit Agreement thread until this deal gets done.

Anyways, my point is - I see in the Exec Committee documents that ST is now referred to as the "Smarttrack Stations Program". In other words, it's officially not a transit line.

We knew this all along, but it's nice to see we've completed the 180 degree reversal from the original Tory platform, in one degree increments.

- Paul

Berlin

Member Bio
Reaction score
With all the recent changes and levels of government support, hard to keep track of what is what with all the transit programs in parallel. I wonder if this project is now delayed or has additional funding post the elections?

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
With all the recent changes and levels of government support, hard to keep track of what is what with all the transit programs in parallel. I wonder if this project is now delayed or has additional funding post the elections?
Funding for the 6 stations was promised by the same government that is still in power as of today. So I doubt much has changed.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
^what project?
This project

Roughly $585,200,000 will be spent constructing six new SmartTrack Stations stations along the Stouffville, Lakeshore East, and Kitchener GO rail corridors.

"The SmartTrack Stations Program will leverage existing heavy rail infrastructure and the Province's GO Rail Expansion Program to increase local service and expand transit options for residents traveling within and beyond the City," reads the government's press release.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Gerrard and Lawrence are both sort of useless station under the Ford transit plan - they are better off not wasting the money on them. Those couple hundred million would be better put to use on SOGR.
True, though clearly Smarttrack has completely ceased to be a thing.

Chow lost. Give it up. Its over 5 years ago. Move on
What does it have to do with Chow? Surely the original scope of ST vs. what little that remains (and from the previous few post - further reduced) stands on it own as a topic for discussion.

AoD

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
True, though clearly Smarttrack has completely ceased to be a thing.

What does it have to do with Chow - surely the original scope of ST vs. what little that remains stands on it own as a topic for discussion.

AoD
It never really was a thing. It's always just been a few new GO stations basically ever since it stopped being a line on a map.

I'm thankful that Tory has been willing to walk back on his pet project when the experts told him it didn't make sense.. Instead of trying to force the thing through.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
It never really was a thing. It's always just been a few new GO stations basically ever since it stopped being a line on a map.

I'm thankful that Tory has been willing to walk back on his pet project when the experts told him it didn't make sense.. Instead of trying to force the thing through.
Of course, the original proposal was vapourware - don't forget though, this little detour did waste time and money, and I am not as forgiving about that.

AoD