News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

King and Queen are pretty empty at 10pm. Dundas on the other hand looks like it's still rush hour. King is for mostly all those office workers. Queen gets a mix of both. Dundas and College gets the more causal recreational riders and students. Wellesley is more of a local station for residences.

It should be remembered that at 10 PM, Line 1 has a headway of about 5± minutes. Compared with other subways/metros, that is "rush hour service".

See link.

NorthboundQ-600x187.jpg

SouthboundQ-600x208.jpg

My point was that there were less people getting off at Union. I only pointed out that Dundas carried more passengers a day than either King or Queen.

Dundas is a bit funny, because of Ryerson. Certainly at 8 AM, King and Queen are busier. But check at 9:30 AM.

Rush hour is more than 30 minutes in the morning.

Don't forget Eaton Centre - it is probably more heavily biased towards Dundas than Queen.

AoD

I was a bit disappointed to hear that there will be no Spadina station on SmartTrack/RER, but glad there is a Liberty Village one.

Looking forward to hopefully the King St transit priority resulting in short term improvements moving east-west downtown.

You keep repeating this statement, yet have failed to provide a single piece of evidence that Metrolinx was planning to build stations at St.Clair, Liberty Village, Unilever, Gerrard, Ellesmere, Lawerence, Finch.

Oh and the Eglinton West LRT extension.

The 50 station investigation came AFTER Smarttrack, and was actually a response to that so do not reference that.

There is no denying the influence, for the better, that Smarttrack has had in developing GO-RER.

How are your trains every 5 minutes doing? His 5 minute promise ended up being nothing but air and half of those stations in Tory's plan are probably not ever going to see the light of day. SmartTrack is a terrible joke being played on us.

My point was that there were less people getting off at Union. I only pointed out that Dundas carried more passengers a day than either King or Queen.

Dundas is a bit funny, because of Ryerson. Certainly at 8 AM, King and Queen are busier. But check at 9:30 AM.

Rush hour is more than 30 minutes in the morning.

Are Yonge trains full at 9:30 AM?

King and Queen are pretty empty at 10pm. Dundas on the other hand looks like it's still rush hour. King is for mostly all those office workers. Queen gets a mix of both. Dundas and College gets the more causal recreational riders and students. Wellesley is more of a local station for residences.

It's self-evident the numbers at Dundas won't change if there's subway on King or Queen. It would also be pretty stupid to build a subway for Dundas relief at 10pm. It's those office workers generate the majority of the ridership on the system and filling the trains. The numbers at King and St. Andrew would drop if the entire line is built because lots of those people would use it to get to their jobs on King but outside the Financial District without touching Yonge and University or the toy streetcars on King.

I feel very strongly that if there's no GO RER/ST stop at Spadina or Bathurst (Spadina is apparently unfeasible), the DRL should at least reach Spadina or Bathurst in the first phase. All these ST stations planned for Palookaville and almost nothing downtown...

SmartTrack is a terrible joke being played on us.

And the alternative is?

It's self-evident the numbers at Dundas won't change if there's subway on King or Queen. It would also be pretty stupid to build a subway for Dundas relief at 10pm. It's those office workers generate the majority of the ridership on the system and filling the trains. The numbers at King and St. Andrew would drop if the entire line is built because lots of those people would use it to get to their jobs on King but outside the Financial District without touching Yonge and University or the toy streetcars on King.
100 percent agreement. To spend billions to build a relief line that goes through Dundas would rank up there as the most idiotic idea i have ever heard. Lets restate problem here: the argument for the relief line is that the south bound trains that arrive at Bloor during rush hour are full and packed with people squeezed in like sardines. The platforms are full at bloor and therefore most people cant board the trains and have to wait. THAT, FOLKS, IS what the problem is. And, what they mean about "relief". The trains vitually empties at Queen stn and King stn (moreso at King stn).

So if you run the relief line through Dundas, what are you providing relief from? Nothing. Instead of removing the bottleneck at Bloor, you tranferring it to Dundas. It would be useless and a total waste. You dont need relief from anything outside of rush hours. During those periods (outside rush hour) the current existing service is more than adequate. Also, if ST works like it is supposed to and communicated during the campaign, why do we need any kind of relief line?

PS.: during the rush hour, the south bound trains from Finch are already fairly packed at Sheppard and packed full at about Lawrence or Eglinton. So this is more fodder and proof that ST is more important than the dowtown relief line. Because, you dont just need relief starting yonge and bloor, you need relief starting as high up the line as Sheppard.

Last edited:
PS.: during the rush hour, the south bound trains from Finch are already fairly packed at Sheppard and packed full at about Lawrence or Eglinton. So this is more fodder and proof that ST is more important than the dowtown relief line. Because, you dont just need relief starting yonge and bloor, you need relief starting as high up the line as Sheppard.

Yonge and Bloor is not the only thing that need relieving - think surface transit in the core, and ST doesn't have a prayer of hope in dealing with that.

AoD

That would be extending the streetcar tunnel from Union up to the relief line, but then continuing it up to Bloor & Bay.

It would be a good idea for the Relief Line to have an "overpinning" at Queen + Bay so that if this actually happened in the future, it would be easy to build. The RL will be at Ground minus 2 levels in this area for Yonge and University - keep it down there at Bay and a Bay underground line could go in on top. Path willing, that is.

- Paul

Because ST can't possibly work like it was "supposed to" because, as transport experts had been saying, the plan was infesibale nonsense from day 1.

I am glad that Tory was elected on the SmartTrack platform. Somebody had to explore and push the idea of using rail corridors for the purpose of Downtown Relief.

Once he pushed that idea, and did not accomplish too much, it gives much more credibility to the notion that DRL subway is a necessity.

Secondary benefit of his SmartTrack platform is that, being blended into GO RER, it will make the latter more 416-friendly: more stations in the core, better fare integration, and higher frequency.

^ Very true. Using rail corridors for transit might seem bizarre to Torontonians but it's the norm everywhere else on the planet. Also very true that it has forced Metrolinx to serve Toronto itself as Metrolinx has proven that it considers GO as strictly a 905 service. The fares alone prove that as trips to Union from the inner city of Toronto are grotesquely more expensive on a per km basis than they are in the 905.

I am glad that Tory was elected on the SmartTrack platform. Somebody had to explore and push the idea of using rail corridors for the purpose of Downtown Relief.

Once he pushed that idea, and did not accomplish too much, it gives much more credibility to the notion that DRL subway is a necessity.

Secondary benefit of his SmartTrack platform is that, being blended into GO RER, it will make the latter more 416-friendly: more stations in the core, better fare integration, and higher frequency.

Yeah, I liked Tory because I too wanted to see if the government can explore how to make better use of the rail corridors. I was willing to accept that SmartTrack as its own entity was not going to be a thing, but if it means adding a few more stops in Toronto and increasing the frequency of trains is all we get, that is a pretty good deal IMO.

Back