News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

You can always count on John Tory and city council to vote for something stupid, especially when it benefits developers and business interests.

See http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-90450.pdf

This is an insane place to situate residential development. It's right next to the part of Willowbrook yard where trains pause when entering or leaving the yard...ie much throttling up and down and ringing of bell. It's also close to the Load Test Building, which is where GO Locomotives are run at full power when undergoing maintenance testing.

As noted, the Federation of Canadian Municipalities' Rail Proximity Guidelines prescribe a separation of 300 meters from rail yards. Apparently the proponents were able to convince the powers that be that the GO facility is a rail "corridor" and not a rail "yard". The guidelines only require a separation of 30m from a rail "corridor". (There is a "corridor" - a main line - but it is on the south side of the GO yard)

Maybe we should start a pool as to when the residents of these new buildings first ask for GO to be moved away, because the noise is bothering them.

- Paul

You can always count on John Tory and city council to vote for something stupid, especially when it benefits developers and business interests.

I was patiently waiting for salsa to contribute his predictable criticism of Tory. There was way too much support for him in the past few messages. You can always count on salsa to counteract that.

Makes you wonder what Tory is thinking and hence makes you wonder if 'something isn't quite right in the state of Denmark."

Dumbtrack is essentially dead. *ding, dong*

Nothing a DRL up the Weston-Galt, and more stops on the Stoufville GO Line can't rectify.

This is why nothing logical ever happens in this city. Just when you think any kind of progress is being made wtith anything, a subsequent stupid decision then follows.

DiCiano and Grimes are both fools regarding this matter; but Tory on the other hand, I mean what is this guy doing? This is probably the most illogical place in the city to build any kind of residential development, but you have 15 fools who vote to approve the project with Tory's vote sticking out like a sore thumb especially with Metrolinx and Keesmaat highlighting all the problems with the decision.

It's really time to overhaul the planning system in this city and province, because i'm sorry absolutely nothing about this decision makes any sense whatsoever.

This is why nothing logical ever happens in this city. Just when you think any kind of progress is being made wtith anything, a subsequent stupid decision then follows.

DiCiano and Grimes are both fools regarding this matter; but Tory on the other hand, I mean what is this guy doing? This is probably the most illogical place in the city to build any kind of residential development, but you have 15 fools who vote to approve the project with Tory's vote sticking out like a sore thumb especially with Metrolinx and Keesmaat highlighting all the problems with the decision.

It's really time to overhaul the planning system in this city and province, because i'm sorry absolutely nothing about this decision makes any sense whatsoever.

So when does ScamTrack get off the ground?

Wow, the 7-stop SmartTrack is expected to carry only 27,600 riders per day. That's shockingly low. Less than half the usage of Line 4.
Yes, I am just catching up with the transit news from the past weeks and this is the thing that caught my attention. There are dozens of bus routes with more daily riders.

This thing is becoming comparable with the UPX when it comes to daily riders, if it is to exist as a separate service.

I remain that it just shouldn't. We should be running local and express trains on an electrified GO-RER corridor, with the local trains hitting the SmartTrack stations that have been talked about.
If we assume Sheppard subway is little used, then Sheppard station has huge numbers. All stations with more usage (well, if we wait 5 years for ECLRT) are at interchange or terminal stations.

It might even suggest that if Sheppard line was not such a stub, there is the population to warrant more transit.
The Sheppard line being a stub is certainly contributing to the lower ridership - however, I think you are discounting the massive walk-in traffic and the Sheppard West route. Look at Eglinton.

I recently rode the Sheppard subway at 8:15am due to an annual event, and it is MUCH more well used than I remember it ever being used eaelier in my lifetime. The incoming train was a packed peak-direction train with only standing room, in the peak flow.

I recently rode the Sheppard subway at 8:15am due to an annual event, and it is MUCH more well used than I remember it ever being used eaelier in my lifetime. The incoming train was a packed peak-direction train with only standing room, in the peak flow.

The ridership numbers for Line 4 have been stagnant for quite a while, IIRC.

Anyways I was on it on about 7 pm on Friday for the first time in a year; the train was virtually empty. About 20 people were on board.

It is misleading. The lower frequency of Line 4 along with the 2 less cars means that every train appears to be more packed than it is.

SmartTrack (you know, that proposal that moves less people than many bus routes) has now lost 2 stops. It will now planned to have only 5 of the 13 stops originally promised.

Is one of the 5 remaining stops at Bathurst, next to Fort York?

It would be fitting if the only remaining SmartTrack station were next to the Fort.

You know the story: it was doing fine at first, but it got attacked, and rather than surrender they just blew it up, taking the attackers with it when it blew..... now it's just a museum.

- Paul

Back