News   Jun 18, 2024
 544     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 508     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 1.5K     4 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

What are the chances it could be extended west to Downsview Park and not just Sheppard West? Would this even be preferable? Thinking of easing connections between Barrie and Stouffville GO.
Having the option to merge the Sheppard line west to Downsview or even Finch station has merit. This allows one transfer from the Finch LRT or transfers to the Downsview Go. With the possibility of running further north if needed in the future

I wish something like this arrangement would be considered. It serves all the major trip generators (Malvern, Centennial College, Centenary Hospital, UTSC). It provides a one-seat ride from anywhere to Scarborough Town, and it allows Sheppard Avenue riders to bypass STC, although it does introduce a linear transfer at Sheppard/McCowan.

Also everything east of McCowan Road on both lines can easily be built elevated or in an existing rail corridor.

sheppard east.png

Metrolinx seemed to think that a BRT would suffice on Ellesmere, presumably with some projections/numbers... I can't seem to find that on archive or metrolinx site, does anyone have it offhand or recall where it was?

I wish something like this arrangement would be considered. It serves all the major trip generators (Malvern, Centennial College, Centenary Hospital, UTSC). It provides a one-seat ride from anywhere to Scarborough Town, and it allows Sheppard Avenue riders to bypass STC, although it does introduce a linear transfer at Sheppard/McCowan.

Also everything east of McCowan Road on both lines can easily be built elevated or in an existing rail corridor.

View attachment 573650
I also think at grade/elevated in the rail corridor north of Sheppard makes sense + combined with possible rail storage/maintenance if we can get cpck onboard with all that space at agincourt... Or Go (transit) usage...or hfr if using Havelock? Some interesting potential if the subways runs to the northeast (Malvern).

Reactions: NIV
2B makes more practical sense in my opinion for the following reasons:

- Remember, people take transit to get to places of interest.Terminating the line at Scarborough Centre connects to a major point of interest with relatively high levels of density.

- For the same reason the Line 2 extension needed to cross the 401 north to Sheppard, Line 4 needs to cross the 401 to the south. It crosses a major pedestrian barrier. Linking areas of significant development to an existing major place of commercial and cultural interest.

- A person who is travelling east on Line 4 is much more likely to have their destination as STC than McCowan and Sheppard. While someone departing from McCowan and Sheppard is much more likely to be travelling East/South on Line 2. Current travel patterns support this.

- it allows for a higher % of the line to be above grade in industrial areas decreasing the number of potential NIMBYS.

- Allows for one additional stop in Scarborough’s City Centre at Brimley and Progress. (A stop we may have to end up fighting for).

- Potential extensions to Centennial College and UTSC are more straight forward, with more land available for at grade and elevated implementations. UTSC Could be the potential terminus for the EELRT, Line 4 and a potential Durham-bound Busway.

If you are coming from east of McCowan, then having the Terminus at the STC defeats the whole crosstown connectivity. If you are coming from the west of Sheppard, STC might not be your final destination, therefore a one stop transfer to STC isn't all that dreadful to you.
If you are coming from the west & want to continue along Sheppard, then terminating it at McCowan, gives you the option, to continue along Sheppard hopefully with the EELRT.

2A was always my preferred choice
They could just have service continue from Sheppard/McCowan on to Kennedy in whatever form that takes (EELRT or existing bus service). Scarborough Centre is already a major transit node and trip generator, and most E/W trips will logically be using the Ellesmere BRT, no?

They could just have service continue from Sheppard/McCowan on to Kennedy in whatever form that takes (EELRT or existing bus service). Scarborough Centre is already a major transit node and trip generator, and most E/W trips will logically be using the Ellesmere BRT, no?
No, most E/W along the Northern Scarborough are going to Fairview or somewhere in North York, or are trying to get to school at York/Pioneer village.
I understand if your coming from the west of Sheppard you're probably going to STC, but for those ppl 1 stop transfer is not the end of the world.
For a Crosstown line why not stay on Sheppard, if you're east of STC & wanna go to Fairview or to line one Sheppard n McCowan seems like the best choice. Plus with the EELRT proposed routing, rapid transit is extended out to morningside all along Sheppard.

I think the point is to have NE Scarborough routes terminate at Sheppard/McCowan. Having them lengthened to Kennedy/Sheppard could create a similar situation as to what we have on Yonge (between Finch and Steeles) currently.

Isn't the development moving forward with or without Line 4 though? By the time Line 4 is approved to come west, is anyone actually changing any plans?
I think that they already plan to concentrate development on Line 1. I'm talking when they start to get into the finer grain details, making the Line 1-4 interchange station as the primary hub compared to Downsview Park and Wilson makes sense.

What are the chances it could be extended west to Downsview Park and not just Sheppard West? Would this even be preferable? Thinking of easing connections between Barrie and Stouffville GO.
As someone who has used the Barrie GO line frequently, I just don't see the merits as worth the expense and possible logistical challenges. If the interchange at Sheppard West is good enough, I can't see people really being put off by two transfers instead of one. Not that I believe we should encourage Line 4 as a connection between Barrie and Stouffville GO lines anyways - Highway 407 is much better suited for that (if we can get a Concord GO station built).

I dunno. With upzoning, these stations could be more useful.
I agree, 100 percent! But there's no guarantee that we'll get an upzone at Senlac if we're struggling to get it along existing stations on Lines 1 and 2.

Back