News   Jun 18, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 610     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

The connection to Sheppard west station will either require a loop to connect with line 1 or it could continue west and merge with the track going to Downsview

You're not wrong. But I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. It's 7 km of subway from the end of Port Union to McCowan via Sheppard. That's a lot. And Rouge Hill GO isn't even at the end of Port Union. So either a complicated approach to the station or a relocation of Rouge Hill GO. That's a lot of work for probably somewhat limited demand. Feel like those subway dollars would be better spent on a Line 2 West extension to Sherway or Square One.

That's true. The Sheppard subway's connection to Lakeshore is certainly not the top priority, there are many projects in other parts of the city that should be done before that.

Perhaps in a distant future .. thinking of that project as a new GO line (in the 401 corridor, and a lot cheaper per km than a subway), that just happens to run subway trains, and those trains continue into the subway tunnel once they reach the dense area.

That's true. The Sheppard subway's connection to Lakeshore is certainly not the top priority, there are many projects in other parts of the city that should be done before that.

Perhaps in a distant future .. thinking of that project as a new GO line (in the 401 corridor, and a lot cheaper per km than a subway), that just happens to run subway trains, and those trains continue into the subway tunnel once they reach the dense area.

Mostly agree. I wouldn't want the possibility ruled out. That's why I prefer Option 2A.

I'm intrigued by option 2B, the one that jogs down to STC.

1718717227193.png

While the routing is just a general idea, it seems to run north-south along Midland, which is mostly lined with industrial buildings, and there's an empty strip on the west side almost continually, from 10 to 25 meters wide.

1718717529048.png

Running a curve to the SRT alignment is not that challenging.

1718717699638.png

Would they build an entirely new elevated ROW, or could some or all of the SRT be reused? I think we were told in the course of earlier schemes it couldn't support subway trains, but could additional bents resolve that? The guideway, at 10 metres, is actually about the same width as the elevated subway structures on line 2. Do they envision using the full-size subway vehicles on this line, or converting to something smaller and more nimble?

A Brimley-Triton station would be well situated for development; there was talk at one time of adding an SRT stop right there. LRT or BRT on Sheppard could continue through to Kennedy-Agincourt ensuring connections to both subway lines and GO.

The whole shot between Kennedy and STC is relatively easy to build elevated and a comprehensive set of connections among subway, surface, and GO would be created. Not saying this is the best or most likely option, but there is some logic to it.

Reactions: NIV
I'm intrigued by option 2B, the one that jogs down to STC.

View attachment 573486

While the routing is just a general idea, it seems to run north-south along Midland, which is mostly lined with industrial buildings, and there's an empty strip on the west side almost continually, from 10 to 25 meters wide.

View attachment 573487

Running a curve to the SRT alignment is not that challenging.

View attachment 573488

Would they build an entirely new elevated ROW, or could some or all of the SRT be reused? I think we were told in the course of earlier schemes it couldn't support subway trains, but could additional bents resolve that? The guideway, at 10 metres, is actually about the same width as the elevated subway structures on line 2. Do they envision using the full-size subway vehicles on this line, or converting to something smaller and more nimble?

A Brimley-Triton station would be well situated for development; there was talk at one time of adding an SRT stop right there. LRT or BRT on Sheppard could continue through to Kennedy-Agincourt ensuring connections to both subway lines and GO.

The whole shot between Kennedy and STC is relatively easy to build elevated and a comprehensive set of connections among subway, surface, and GO would be created. Not saying this is the best or most likely option, but there is some logic to it.
Most likely following the Go train corridor and then using the east west SRT right of way.

If you are coming from east of McCowan, then having the Terminus at the STC defeats the whole crosstown connectivity. If you are coming from the west of Sheppard, STC might not be your final destination, therefore a one stop transfer to STC isn't all that dreadful to you.
If you are coming from the west & want to continue along Sheppard, then terminating it at McCowan, gives you the option, to continue along Sheppard hopefully with the EELRT.

2A was always my preferred choice

You are still talking as though RER is not under construction right now. You know that $12B transit projects, take a few years right? But RER is due to mostly be in service by 2032. That is looking to be about the same timeline as the Ontario Line, Yonge North and possibly even Scarborough Subway. To act like RER is not advancing at the same rate as subways is ignorant. And next, the idea that changing over an existing system to almost a completely different system (while running service) should be simpler than building tunnels is another level of ignorance.

I know there are projects galore to get RER going. I also know that at the drop of a writ, those projects not already started can be canceled. And those projects under construction can also be stopped. I am a firm believe in "it ain't happening until it has happened" when it comes to every government project.

The question is, for a place like the STC or MTC, or any major points in between the GO lines and stations, will GO RER be enough? For example, would GO RER be good for a student living with their parents in Pickering going to Centennial College?

So you know about them and still insist that only multi-billion dollar subways can facilitate regional travel?

Who knows if there is enough demand for it. What I want to see is that the line is not set up that a future want for an extension is not difficult. It may never bee needed in any of our lifetimes, or it may be the next major transit project. Either way, lets make sure that if it is to happen, it can happen.

It's hard to be aware of major changes like fare integration when you don't live in the GTA and only visit 2-3x per year by car (as per your own admission).
I do watch the news. I guess it isn't newsworthy enough for any of the national news broadcasts. Now that I know, this makes the GO even more expensive.

For the love of God, please actually learn about what's happening before commenting on them? Please
I know there are projects galore to get RER going. I also know that at the drop of a writ, those projects not already started can be canceled.
The contract with ONXPRESS has been signed, and the project will be built. Even in a freak show situation where Ford calls a snap election, the libs/NDP win, and they for some reason want to cancel the project, it would likely cost millions of dollars to cancel the P3 at this stage.

So no, it can't be cancelled at this point in time.
The question is, for a place like the STC or MTC, or any major points in between the GO lines and stations, will GO RER be enough? For example, would GO RER be good for a student living with their parents in Pickering going to Centennial College.
The Sheppard Subway will be useful here, but the GO bus is perfectly fine for now.

For the love of God, please actually learn about what's happening before commenting on them? Please

The contract with ONXPRESS has been signed, and the project will be built. Even in a freak show situation where Ford calls a snap election, the libs/NDP win, and they for some reason want to cancel the project, it would likely cost millions of dollars to cancel the P3 at this stage.

So no, it can't be cancelled at this point in time.

Tell that to the people who were building the Eglinton Subway in the 1990s.

The Sheppard Subway will be useful here, but the GO bus is perfectly fine for now.

Right now, absolutely.

Tell that to the people who were building the Eglinton Subway in the 1990s.
This isn't the 90s anymore. Projects today are built using P3s that are filled to the brim with Poison Pills so that things like Eglinton West can't happen.

And please tell me, who is planning to cancel GO Expansion? I don't really like the NDP, but even I'm not silly enough to suggest that they're going to bend over backwards to cancel GO Expansion at this stage.

This isn't the 90s anymore. Projects today are built using P3s that are filled to the brim with Poison Pills so that things like Eglinton West can't happen.

And please tell me, who is planning to cancel GO Expansion? I don't really like the NDP, but even I'm not silly enough to suggest that they're going to bend over backwards to cancel GO Expansion at this stage.
While it may be true that it would be hard to cancel projects, they could do all the work but not fund the actual cost to have RER service times.Or has the rolling stock been ordered already? If RER was one massive project that all parts were tied to each other with those poison pills that are even connected to those future contracts, then maybe, but with how some governments have been, I would not hold my breath.

Considering this is also being funded by the federal government, we also need to ask if any federal party may reduce the funding. Have we heard anything positive or negative from Pierre Pollivre about this project or transit improvements in general?

For example, would GO RER be good for a student living with their parents in Pickering going to Centennial College?
For reference, is this a problem without rail? I'm not sure how this is a problem today.

Screenshot_20240618_130153.jpg

Back