News   Jun 18, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 628     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

If you are coming from east of McCowan, then having the Terminus at the STC defeats the whole crosstown connectivity. If you are coming from the west of Sheppard, STC might not be your final destination, therefore a one stop transfer to STC isn't all that dreadful to you.
If you are coming from the west & want to continue along Sheppard, then terminating it at McCowan, gives you the option, to continue along Sheppard hopefully with the EELRT.

2A was always my preferred choice

Well reasoned. 2B works for those coming from the East and heading into the core or midtown. But for that, there's already Line 2. Option 2B screws over a lot of north Scarborough travel.

Sure.

What is the point of ever have built a subway, or ever building a new subway ever again?
Huh?

What kind of rhetorical trick is this!? The reason we built the subways is because the streetcars were getting too crowded to handle the demand placed on them. What point are you trying to make here????

As someone who has never really been on Sheppard east of Fairview Mall, I have no real insight as to whether 2A or 2B is better, but I agree that it definitely is superior to 1 and 3 for the development potential west of Yonge. Glad to see the West extension is being considered, and hopefully the preferred option. I think Sheppard West Station could be a good sort of central hub for the Downsview redevelopment.
As much as I would have liked to see a Senlac station being considered, I get why it's not a preferred one - the risk it could end up being Bessarion 2.0 where it doesn't pay for itself for decades.

Huh?

What kind of rhetorical trick is this!? The reason we built the subways is because the streetcars were getting too crowded to handle the demand placed on them. What point are you trying to make here????
The point is to show that there is a purpose to an extension.
So, if we look to the east, as traffic gets worse and buses get stuck in it, there comes a point that an extension will make sense. We could stave off that extension with a BRT or an LRT. York U had a BRT to it from the Downsview station.

The point is to show that there is a purpose to an extension.
So, if we look to the east, as traffic gets worse and buses get stuck in it, there comes a point that an extension will make sense. We could stave off that extension with a BRT or an LRT. York U had a BRT to it from the Downsview station.
I don't see how pointing at historical subway construction remotely is an argument for future subway extension. The argument you are currently presenting to extend the line boils down to "we built a subway in the past" (in, it might be added, a completely different urban environment served by completely different forms of transit), and it doesn't hold up to even the slightest level of scrutiny. Surely, if it's as self evident as you are asserting, there should be some facts and figures you can provide that stand alone independent of the past.

Huh?

Welcome to the troll's tactics. Regular moving goalposts, red herrings and strawmen. All from a dude who lives in Sudbury and visits Toronto 2-3x by driving here.

As someone who has never really been on Sheppard east of Fairview Mall, I have no real insight as to whether 2A or 2B is better, but I agree that it definitely is superior to 1 and 3 for the development potential west of Yonge. Glad to see the West extension is being considered, and hopefully the preferred option. I think Sheppard West Station could be a good sort of central hub for the Downsview redevelopment.
Isn't the development moving forward with or without Line 4 though? By the time Line 4 is approved to come west, is anyone actually changing any plans?

I don't see how pointing at historical subway construction remotely is an argument for future subway extension. The argument you are currently presenting to extend the line boils down to "we built a subway in the past" (in, it might be added, a completely different urban environment served by completely different forms of transit), and it doesn't hold up to even the slightest level of scrutiny. Surely, if it's as self evident as you are asserting, there should be some facts and figures you can provide that stand alone independent of the past.
Why did the SRT not just get torn down and left as buses?
I am willing to bet that when a subway was first built, there was never an expectation it would extend as far as it has.
My only thought of when the decide what plan to go with, that is allows for an even further extension as it becomes needed. if it never becomes a need then it never gets built.

Yeah. I can't believe options 1 and 3 are even real. It makes no sense to extend the subway without connecting Yonge and Spadina.

As much as I would have liked to see a Senlac station being considered, I get why it's not a preferred one - the risk it could end up being Bessarion 2.0 where it doesn't pay for itself for decades.

I dunno. With upzoning, these stations could be more useful.

What are the chances it could be extended west to Downsview Park and not just Sheppard West? Would this even be preferable? Thinking of easing connections between Barrie and Stouffville GO.
Why not just transfer from line 4 to line 1 north a stop? Single seat trips are not that important.

Back