News   Aug 13, 2024
 159     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 805     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

I wonder if they could convert the subway into an LRT line, then connect it to an above ground LRT past Don Mills? That would eliminate any transfer and would handle the ridership in the corridor very well for a long, long time.
This again. That ship has sailed...I think Metrolinx ruled against it in a study

I have nothing against LRT but unless I'm shown how to build LRT and keep the speed near subway level, I'll be it's biggest supporter. (emphasis on NEAR and not above or the same)

I don't buy rapid transit stopping at red lights

I know. But the subway option for the RT replacement was rejected nearly a decade ago in favour of an LRT which was fully costed, funded and ready to go.

Now we're still trying to figure out if there should be a subway there instead, how many stops it will have, etc.

Things change.

@Hopkins123 has a great recomendation if they dont take the SSE across Sheppard in phase 1. The Sheppard subway can be designed to drop down thru Agincourt and the City Centre and loop back up to Malvern thru Centennial College. It is the best plan to address multiple needs and allows the current SSE to keep moving forward
I think that is best. There should be a loop via scc. If the Scarborough subway goes to sheppard/mccowan and the sheppard east subway stops at mccowan, then another bus terminal will have to be built.

I know. But the subway option for the RT replacement was rejected nearly a decade ago in favour of an LRT which was fully costed, funded and ready to go.

Now we're still trying to figure out if there should be a subway there instead, how many stops it will have, etc.

Things change.

If the Conservatives win I'm sure they would be open to reviewing all seamless fully grade seperated mainly underground options. But given how poorly designed (minimal grade seperation, car lane removing, transfer filled) the old LRT plan was it gave LRT a bad look. I also doubt they care to upset North York residents and shut down the current subway for possibly minimal savings anyway.

Remember the goal is to "loop" Sheppard to SCC and their mandate is full grade separation for all lines. So that loop cant happen easily with LRT now as council shut down that opportunity the Crosstown to SCC previously and since the highest costs will be tunnelling (elevated in some sections) why even bother with LRT here when there is a subway stub already to connect into?

Last edited:
I think that is best. There should be a loop via scc. If the Scarborough subway goes to sheppard/mccowan and the sheppard east subway stops at mccowan, then another bus terminal will have to be built.
A new bus terminal is a good thing, there should be multiple bus terminals on the extension(s) to minimize bus ride times. The giant ~10 minute walk from the far end of the STC bus terminal on the SSE should be optimized by splitting the bus terminal between Sheppard and Lawrence.

They have not rejected building an LRT on Sheppard.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/rtp/Metrolinx - 2041 Regional Transportation Plan - Chapter 3.pdf

Will they convert the subway into an LRT? It's highly unlikely, but these plans are hardly written in stone.
It's not very feasible considering the costs. Apparently conversion will be something like a billion dollars, which really makes no sense when the DRL is supposed to arrive at either don mills or victoria park.

A new bus terminal is a good thing, there should be multiple bus terminals on the extension(s) to minimize bus ride times. The giant ~10 minute walk from the far end of the STC bus terminal on the SSE should be optimized by splitting the bus terminal between Sheppard and Lawrence.
It's kind of dumb having all those bus routes funnel on McCowan bridge over the 401. Its poor planning aka half assing.

That's why a McCowan stop with a bus terminal to attract bus routes north of the 401 makes more sense and helps circulation in the area as a whole.

That makes more areas desirable to live in instead of forcing everyone in overcrowded areas that won't have the appropriate transit infrastructure to support it anytime soon.

It's kind of dumb having all those bus routes funnel on McCowan bridge over the 401. Its poor planning aka half assing.

That's why a McCowan stop with a bus terminal to attract bus routes north of the 401 makes more sense and helps circulation in the area as a whole.

That makes more areas desirable to live in instead of forcing everyone in overcrowded areas that won't have the appropriate transit infrastructure to support it anytime soon.
If only Agincourt GO Station had a bus terminal and Finch-Kennedy ST Station’s “bus terminal” wasn’t half assed.

Well, what I mean is an alignment like this:

I'm impartial as to whether it's Line 2 or Line 4 that's gets to Morningside Hts though.

This is what I imagine going to Malvern, but with more usage of Line 3's E-W ROW. Thing is as a 6-car deep bore line it'd never happen. You can argue that the PCs will bring some subway revolution, but doesn't matter. It'd be too big, too much, and not even the most inflated projection could justify it. Why I think you should consider supporting shorter trains, some elevated, and maybe a different narrower vehicle. Not LRT, still a subway with identical service as we have on Line 1,2,4 today. Just not a hulking 6-car monster. If we want to significantly expand our subway/metro system seems to me that's the only way to do it.

That's what I meant to say, the converting option was rejected.

I can't recall the report, but I'm fairly confident it was flawed in that the converting option was for the low-floor vehicle. In other words every station on Line 4 would have to be significantly modified at great cost, much in the same way the SLRT had every Line 3 station Frankensteined for a vehicle not optimized for it. Obviously this would make it seem bad. Maybe I'm wrong and they did consider high-floor.

Back