News   Aug 12, 2024
 771     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 622     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

The SELRT might be revived in the future as an extension from McCowan to Morningside and beyond. That area of the city actually makes a bit more sense for LRT than Sheppard avenue between Dufferin and McCowan given the current state of the line.
If they curve it at the STC, I'll be really pissed. That will be an operational nightmare and there will be far too many long trains heading down Sheppard. 5-6 minute 4 car trains is high enough. It saves a lot of money for the TTC and serves the corridor well.

Just because it's curved toward SC doesn't mean it'd be interlined with Line 2. I don't think that's ever been an officially proposal. They'd still be separate lines, and historically bringing Line 4 to SC was always the plan.

Hopefully any Line 4 extension is built as 4-car max, and utilizes the abandoned Line 3 corridor. I think there's a good opportunity to build it affordably that neither TTC or Ford/Chong presented in the past.

Please end a McCowan and NOT interline with Line 2.
I agree. Line 4 should end at McCowan and Sheppard with Line 2.

Hopefully built like this
220px-Lionel_Groulx_Platform_Arrangement.svg.png

The SELRT might be revived in the future as an extension from McCowan to Morningside and beyond. That area of the city actually makes a bit more sense for LRT than Sheppard avenue between Dufferin and McCowan given the current state of the line.
If they curve it at the STC, I'll be really pissed. That will be an operational nightmare and there will be far too many long trains heading down Sheppard. 5-6 minute 4 car trains is high enough. It saves a lot of money for the TTC and serves the corridor well.

There'd be no point to SELRT if the subway is built to McCowan, east of McCowan I have no trouble finding a seat on the 85 bus.

What should be advocated for is a continuation of the Sheppard Line east to Morningside Hts via an elevated guideway serving Progress Campus to Burrows Hall (Sheppard/Progress) then short tunnel through Malvern.

There'd be no point to SELRT if the subway is built to McCowan, east of McCowan I have no trouble finding a seat on the 85 bus.

What should be advocated for is a continuation of the Sheppard Line east to Morningside Hts via an elevated guideway serving Progress Campus to Burrows Hall (Sheppard/Progress) then short tunnel through Malvern.
Anything passed McCowan is overkill. Buses or BRT can easily handle the rest. As for Malvern, Line 2 should go there.

Easiest path given the current progress may be SCC to McCowan and then have Sheppard subway meet and EELRT after Malvern Town Center loop. Although Ford is likely about to boot the LRT back to the City and soley address the subway network.

Would be have been good If Sheppard subway could have dipped down thru Agincourt and add a North West stop around SCC, but the current alignment likely won't allow that and I'm not a proponent of starting over.

Anything passed McCowan is overkill. Buses or BRT can easily handle the rest. As for Malvern, Line 2 should go there.

Well, what I mean is an alignment like this:

I'm impartial as to whether it's Line 2 or Line 4 that's gets to Morningside Hts though.

It may make sense for Sheppard to continue passed the the SSE at McCowan and connect to Progress. Then EELRT can be extended to Malvern Town Centre to connect both UTSC and the subway.

Easiest path given the current progress may be SCC to McCowan and then have Sheppard subway meet and EELRT after Malvern Town Center loop. Although Ford is likely about to boot the LRT back to the City and soley address the subway network.

Would be have been good If Sheppard subway could have dipped down thru Agincourt and add a North West stop around SCC, but the current alignment likely won't allow that and I'm not a proponent of starting over.
I think Sheppard can meet at SCC but getting past the 401 is going to be expensive. That's the bulk of the cost. If this subway was above ground then no quesiton it would be finished by now. We'll see. I think Sheppard should go to SCC because it will be a much larger trip generator than Malvern. Let the Malvern (Kingston Rd.) LRT go to Malvern and provide a one seat ride to the airport for Scarborough residents.

I think Sheppard can meet at SCC but getting past the 401 is going to be expensive. That's the bulk of the cost. If this subway was above ground then no quesiton it would be finished by now. We'll see. I think Sheppard should go to SCC because it will be a much larger trip generator than Malvern. Let the Malvern (Kingston Rd.) LRT go to Malvern and provide a one seat ride to the airport for Scarborough residents.

@Hopkins123 has a great recomendation if they dont take the SSE across Sheppard in phase 1. The Sheppard subway can be designed to drop down thru Agincourt and the City Centre and loop back up to Malvern thru Centennial College. It is the best plan to address multiple needs and allows the current SSE to keep moving forward

I wonder if they could convert the subway into an LRT line, then connect it to an above ground LRT past Don Mills? That would eliminate any transfer and would handle the ridership in the corridor very well for a long, long time.

Back