News   Aug 12, 2024
 771     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 622     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

As long as its elevated its fine. Building the EELRT and EWLRT fully underground would be a colossal waste of cash. Underground should only be done when absolutely necessary (i.e all the current underground parts plus Pearson).

Agree but underground is far more intelligent than not grade separating the Crosstown from Science Centre until Kennedy as we may soon find out. If we grade separate and build something with attention to all details the first time its not going to be a waste a cash decades from now.

Last edited:
The pro subway crowd wants a stop at everyone's doorstop.

They absolutely do not. They want a stop at their own doorstop and have every intention of complaining about funding the one at their neighbours. Take a look at which councillors regularly vote against TTC subsidy increases (required to run additional subway service) and the like.

As long as its elevated its fine. Building the EELRT and EWLRT fully underground would be a colossal waste of cash. Underground should only be done when absolutely necessary (i.e all the current underground parts plus Pearson).

I have no problem whatsoever with that. The only places it has to be underground, based on the EWLRT and EELRT studies are: The Royal York, Kipling, Martin Grove intersections, Renforth (preexisting trench); Victoria Park/Eglinton Sq (due to heavy traffic volumes), east of Birchmount to Kennedy Stn, likely between Kennedy and Danforth Rd (if a subway stop is placed at Brimley-Eglinton there's no point having the Crosstown surface then dip back underground), Eglinton-Kingston, West Hill triangle. Elevated works everywhere else.

My long standing preference for UTSC, my alma mater, is an underground station in-between Science and Bladen Wings maximizing its utility for students and faculty, just like how York U Station is smack in the middle of their campus. Then the terminus stop occurs near Pan Am on the Centennial grounds where BRT lines to the Zoo/Malvern and Durham Region could radiate out.

Agree but underground is far more intelligent than not grade separating the Crosstown from Science Centre until Kennedy as we may soon find out. If we grade separate and build something with attention to all details the first time its not going to be a waste a cash decades from now.
At the same time I can say in this instance Elevated is more intelligent than Underground. Building underground is incredibly expensive and needs to be reserved for cases where it must be done. Eglinton Avenue after Don Mills is a very wide open area that has more than enough room for an elevated structure down the middle of the road. If the province is intent on grade separating the EC (and its extensions) than the fiscally conservative thing to do is Elevated except for when underground makes more sens (i.e Kennedy, Science Centre and Pearson). This in my opinion is a litmus test for the "fiscal cons" the PC's say they are, Elevated has all the benefits of Underground with the added bonus of costing half as much and taking half the time to build.

Last edited:
Probably renaming Queen Station to City Hall Station instead of Queen-Yonge Station.

Yeah, I only ask because there used to be a City Hall station proposed for the DRL, that would combine Osgoode and Yonge stations into one station. So I'm not really clear on what W.K is referring to when they said "City Hall" Station.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/onvotes/poll-tracker/

87.4%
Probability of the Progressive Conservatives winning a majority

Best dusting off those Sheppard East extension maps. If they win, the 3 stop subway extension on Line 2 will be back. So that would mean the permanent death of Sheppard LRT. Will Line 4 end at McCowan or would they curve it to STC?
Please end a McCowan and NOT interline with Line 2.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/onvotes/poll-tracker/

87.4%
Probability of the Progressive Conservatives winning a majority

Best dusting off those Sheppard East extension maps. If they win, the 3 stop subway extension on Line 2 will be back. So that would mean the permanent death of Sheppard LRT. Will Line 4 end at McCowan or would they curve it to STC?
The SELRT might be revived in the future as an extension from McCowan to Morningside and beyond. That area of the city actually makes a bit more sense for LRT than Sheppard avenue between Dufferin and McCowan given the current state of the line.
If they curve it at the STC, I'll be really pissed. That will be an operational nightmare and there will be far too many long trains heading down Sheppard. 5-6 minute 4 car trains is high enough. It saves a lot of money for the TTC and serves the corridor well.

once sheppard is extended ridership is going to increase enough that a 4 car train every 5 minutes isn't going to cut it any more. Probably going to see it run as a 6 car train every 4 minutes.

Back