News   Aug 13, 2024
 8     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 306     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 946     2 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

The pace of transit implementation in Toronto is largely due to the Fords, who did nothing but slow things down.
He ran a campaign on it. Not expecting everyone to agree with what he was selling but it's a bit odd that people are surprised that he tried to implement what he ran on.

Ford is promising everything to everyone as though he's running for class president in an 80s sitcom.
If you let go of transit for 1 second, so are the other parties. I vote NDP but they are promising MUCH MUCH more to EVERYONE

It would be great if the PC party could speed everything up, but based on his track record there's no reason to believe him.
PC has built subways in the past. It's not an ideology thing. Infrastructure investment in transit is being done by far more right wing extremists governments than the Ontario PC.

Harris is one guy. Like Bob Rae is one guy, like Mcguinty and Wynne are... oh wait...

As for Ford track record, he was but 1 councillor with 1 vote. Not much can be done without the majority of council which they didnt have. Let not act dumb here. If Ford was mayor of Montreal, he wasn't even mayor of Toronto, he would have been unstoppable.

Just saying, if he wins a majority, let's see if he follows through with what he promised. I'll judge him on that if he wins.

Note...I'm not voting for him

Most of the delays can be blamed on the liberals, not the Fords. Finch West is scheduled to open about 8 years after it's initial date. only about 3 of those years are attributable to the Ford's, the other 5 are from the Liberal's introducing the long AFP process (about a year), and just simply delaying the project until the budget was closer to balance to reduce deficit spending.

Eglinton wasn't slowed at all.

Sheppard was killed by the Liberals.

SSE delayed the SELRT, amd that one is equally Liberal & Ford's fault.

Also, in case anyone is concerned, I'm not voting PC today. That doesn't mean that the fear mongering on this board isn't out of control.

The fear mongering is definitely getting beyond out of control. People like to associate every bad decision the Province ever made on Mike Harris boogeymen from the right but when in reality most of these atrocities occurred under the Liberal's tenure. The Liberal's raided the Harper funds for Sheppard Subway for Pete's sake.

Today is a reset button and referendum on the Liberals' agenda. For those of us whom would like to see more grade-separated transit in Scarborough, North York, Etobicoke and Thornhill within in our lifetimes; the anticipation is palpable.

If we do the Sheppard Subway, Heres where I think the transit systems should align in a super transit hub.

nNOx3RD.jpg

(Note: the Sheppard Subway and Scarborough Subway trains would continue through the hub for a transferless route, but just be defined on maps as different lines, like the Lakeshore East/West on GO. Same train, different lines)

No it will likely be a design start and will be used for another couple elections to keep support of Scarborough residents. They don't want to rush this one to quick? Certainly not after they are closing in on delivering a subway with actual stops in Scarborough with the SSE

SSE with stops, DRL short and possibly Yonge have the green light to move forward towards construction. Surface LRT plans will all be put on hold or thrown back to the City to fund for the most part on their own.

This is what I think will happen. Yonge North, DRL, and SSE are close enough to construction to have shovels in the ground at the end of this term. Sheppard needs to start from scratch, it's going to take time to start. At the very least until next term.

All the LRTs are dead, for sure. I think you will see Eglinton west possibly built as an elevated line. Eglinton East will either see the city fund it or see it die. Waterfront East will probably scrape together funding from the Feds and the City.
Exactly the outcome I would expect in 4 years. The Liberals and NDP will then likely bring DRL Long closer to the voter table as they will be fighting up stream on transit support if Ford is close to delivering Short, Yonge and SSE. Ford will also campaign on DRL Long and then ask voters "who they believe?". A good chunk of funding already allocated for those projects and such high political opportunism here which is why I firmly believe DRL Short is a shoe in with the Conservatives. Sheppard design will likely be stretched for political purposes into the next round of funding bucket with the DRL Long.

Also of note RER is to continue under the Conservatives.
I think Doug will try to speed it up. Eglinton LRTs will be built. That will be the tradeoff for Sheppard East and the Scarborough Subway. I think Sheppard will be sped up. Don't ask me how.

Yes, I am still amazed at how Vancouver built the entire Canada Line from stratch in under 4 years yet it took for TYSSE and is taking the Crosstown seemingly forever to be completed.

Toronto's planning paralysis definitely needs to end.

That's also at the PC advantage if they can build faster.

After nearly over a decade since the planning, all the Liberals have to show for it is Vaughan subway.

People are more favorable to things that are completed and operational.

The PC building faster means they could have a steady stream of completed projects within their terms. They need to change that negative perception people have of their transit track record faster.

Building subways faster is one way to do it. One of the reasons to upload the subways was to make the financing easier as well.

Without disregarding past PC mistakes, the fear mongering is going a bit far in my opinion. I think we should see what they will end up doing if they grab a majority.
This is the largest problem. It just takes too long. A subway should be 3 years, LRT should be 1.5 years. Just way too long. Vancouver has the largest RT system in Canada.

^That #1 in the priority list would probably go to the Scarborough line, but make no mistake that the Sheppard line is moving up to #2. The DRL is now 3rd is line.

Mind you, the only one that will get built in reality is the Scarborough line with this new government.

^That #1 in the priority list would probably go to the Scarborough line, but make no mistake that the Sheppard line is moving up to #2. The DRL is now 3rd is line.

Mind you, the only one that will get built in reality is the Scarborough line with this new government.

Sheppard hasn't even started a conceptual design. There is still a required process behind the Politics. It is last in the que but certainly now moving.

He ran a campaign on it. Not expecting everyone to agree with what he was selling but it's a bit odd that people are surprised that he tried to implement what he ran on.

If you let go of transit for 1 second, so are the other parties. I vote NDP but they are promising MUCH MUCH more to EVERYONE

PC has built subways in the past. It's not an ideology thing. Infrastructure investment in transit is being done by far more right wing extremists governments than the Ontario PC.

Harris is one guy. Like Bob Rae is one guy, like Mcguinty and Wynne are... oh wait...

As for Ford track record, he was but 1 councillor with 1 vote. Not much can be done without the majority of council which they didnt have. Let not act dumb here. If Ford was mayor of Montreal, he wasn't even mayor of Toronto, he would have been unstoppable.

Just saying, if he wins a majority, let's see if he follows through with what he promised. I'll judge him on that if he wins.

Note...I'm not voting for him

The other parties had platforms and costs outlined.

Ford did what he did with his brother in City Hall - pull numbers out of thin air.

In any case, he's won, and I hope they do well.

I don't know, the Sheppard Subway extension is a 7-stop extension that'd cost the same as the 1-stop Bloor-Danforth extension and poison pills any future government from coming in and stopping its construction if it's commenced ASAP.

The other parties had platforms and costs outlined.

Ford did what he did with his brother in City Hall - pull numbers out of thin air.

In any case, he's won, and I hope they do well.

Ford knew exactly what he was doing, not let the numbers torpedo his campaign like they did for Hudak. We'll soon know the cost of everything and the timelines. But now is time for calm and celebration.

Ford knew exactly what he was doing, not let the numbers torpedo his campaign like they did for Hudak. We'll soon know the cost of everything and the timelines. But now is time for calm and celebration.

In other words, he was scared to tell the people exactly what he wanted to do.

Not the kind of leadership this province needs, and certainly not the kind of leadership I hope this province has over the next four years.

Sheppard hasn't even started a conceptual design. There is still a required process behind the Politics. It is last in the que but certainly now moving.
Throw all logic out the door when it comes to transit with a Ford government. It has no design, but somehow it will move up in priority ahead of the DRL.

I don't know, the Sheppard Subway extension is a 7-stop extension that'd cost the same as the 1-stop Bloor-Danforth extension and poison pills any future government from coming in and stopping its construction if it's commenced ASAP.
There's no way a 7-stop Sheppard subway will cost the same amount as the 1-stop B-D extension. Don't believe anyone who tells you that, because that's an outright blatant lie.

Throw all logic out the door when it comes to transit with a Ford government. It has no design, but somehow it will move up in priority ahead of the DRL.

You got to wonder if Byford breathed a big sigh of relief (though MTA is hardly what I call a politics free workplace).

AoD

^Byford has his own issues in New York with Andrew Cuomo and De Blasio bickering, and consistently meddling in each other's affairs with the MTA. If anything, he may have it worse compared to over here.

It would be more of a case of picking between 2 poison pills. Poison Pill #1 (Ford) would take all of your suggestions, tear them up and come up with his own plan and force you to do it no matter how non-sensible it would be. Poison Pill #2 (De Blasio and Cuomo) would take all of your suggestions, add them to their own list and then constantly bicker a fight over which would be best, and then threaten each other with lawsuits just to win. In the meantime, the transit system would continue to crumble apart.

With Ford, "subways last forever" so we already dont have to worry about maintenance.

^Byford has his own issues in New York with Andrew Cuomo and De Blasio bickering, and consistently meddling in each other's affairs with the MTA. If anything, he may have it worse compared to over here.

It would be more of a case of picking between 2 poison pills. Poison Pill #1 (Ford) would take all of your suggestions, tear them up and come up with his own plan and force you to do it no matter how non-sensible it would be. Poison Pill #2 (De Blasio and Cuomo) would take all of your suggestions, add them to their own list and then constantly bicker a fight over which would be best, and then threaten each other with lawsuits just to win. In the meantime, the transit system would continue to crumble apart.

Yeah, but MTA probably offers better pay and looks better on the CV (NYC!! - scratch, done) - and if he can shepherd the modernization through, his name would be in the books.

AoD

Back