News   Aug 13, 2024
 159     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 805     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

No transit construction will start on Sheppard in the next 4 years, or in the next 8 years. There are too many other priorities, no matter which party wins tomorrow.

After that, who knows.

I agree. Line 4 should end at McCowan and Sheppard with Line 2.

Hopefully built like this
220px-Lionel_Groulx_Platform_Arrangement.svg.png
How ingenious.

No transit construction will start on Sheppard in the next 4 years, or in the next 8 years. There are too many other priorities, no matter which party wins tomorrow.

After that, who knows.

Agreed. SSE, GO Trains and maybe the Hamilton and Mississauga LRTs will be piorities. And will tie them up for a full term.

sad but it’s true. A PC win means DRL and Shappard gets delayed for go train upgrades and Yonge North. NDP win means Go Trains, Sheppard, and Yonge North gets delayed for DRL and waterfront LRT.

It's kind of dumb having all those bus routes funnel on McCowan bridge over the 401. Its poor planning aka half assing.

That's why a McCowan stop with a bus terminal to attract bus routes north of the 401 makes more sense and helps circulation in the area as a whole.

That makes more areas desirable to live in instead of forcing everyone in overcrowded areas that won't have the appropriate transit infrastructure to support it anytime soon.
A new bus terminal is a good thing, there should be multiple bus terminals on the extension(s) to minimize bus ride times. The giant ~10 minute walk from the far end of the STC bus terminal on the SSE should be optimized by splitting the bus terminal between Sheppard and Lawrence.
I disagree in this case. I think this sheppard extension needs all the ridership it can get. SCC will provide that.

After that, who knows.
Doug will push it through.

I disagree in this case. I think this sheppard extension needs all the ridership it can get. SCC will provide that.

No it will likely be a design start and will be used for another couple elections to keep support of Scarborough residents. They don't want to rush this one to quick? Certainly not after they are closing in on delivering a subway with actual stops in Scarborough with the SSE

SSE with stops, DRL short and possibly Yonge have the green light to move forward towards construction. Surface LRT plans will all be put on hold or thrown back to the City to fund for the most part on their own.

Last edited:
No it will likely be a design start and will be used for another couple elections to keep support of Scarborough residents. They don't want to rush this one to quick? Certainly not after they are closing in on delivering a subway with actual stops in Scarborough with the SSE

SSE with stops, DRL short and possibly Yonge have the green light to move forward towards construction. Surface LRT plans will all be put on hold or thrown back to the City to fund for the most part on their own.
This is what I think will happen. Yonge North, DRL, and SSE are close enough to construction to have shovels in the ground at the end of this term. Sheppard needs to start from scratch, it's going to take time to start. At the very least until next term.

All the LRTs are dead, for sure. I think you will see Eglinton west possibly built as an elevated line. Eglinton East will either see the city fund it or see it die. Waterfront East will probably scrape together funding from the Feds and the City.

I think the PC had made it a priority to cut down drastically the time it takes to deliver a subway line. 10 years is utterly unacceptable

I think the PC had made it a priority to cut down drastically the time it takes to deliver a subway line. 10 years is utterly unacceptable

Yes, I am still amazed at how Vancouver built the entire Canada Line from stratch in under 4 years yet it took for TYSSE and is taking the Crosstown seemingly forever to be completed.

Toronto's planning paralysis definitely needs to end.

This is what I think will happen. Yonge North, DRL, and SSE are close enough to construction to have shovels in the ground at the end of this term. Sheppard needs to start from scratch, it's going to take time to start. At the very least until next term.

All the LRTs are dead, for sure. I think you will see Eglinton west possibly built as an elevated line. Eglinton East will either see the city fund it or see it die. Waterfront East will probably scrape together funding from the Feds and the City.

Exactly the outcome I would expect in 4 years. The Liberals and NDP will then likely bring DRL Long closer to the voter table as they will be fighting up stream on transit support if Ford is close to delivering Short, Yonge and SSE. Ford will also campaign on DRL Long and then ask voters "who they believe?". A good chunk of funding already allocated for those projects and such high political opportunism here which is why I firmly believe DRL Short is a shoe in with the Conservatives. Sheppard design will likely be stretched for political purposes into the next round of funding bucket with the DRL Long.

Also of note RER is to continue under the Conservatives.

Last edited:
Yes, I am still amazed at how Vancouver built the entire Canada Line from stratch in under 4 years yet it took for TYSSE and is taking the Crosstown seemingly forever to be completed.

Toronto's planning paralysis definitely needs to end.
That's also at the PC advantage if they can build faster.

After nearly over a decade since the planning, all the Liberals have to show for it is Vaughan subway.

People are more favorable to things that are completed and operational.

The PC building faster means they could have a steady stream of completed projects within their terms. They need to change that negative perception people have of their transit track record faster.

Building subways faster is one way to do it. One of the reasons to upload the subways was to make the financing easier as well.

Without disregarding past PC mistakes, the fear mongering is going a bit far in my opinion. I think we should see what they will end up doing if they grab a majority.

That's also at the PC advantage if they can build faster.

After nearly over a decade since the planning, all the Liberals have to show for it is Vaughan subway.

People are more favorable to things that are completed and operational.

The PC building faster means they could have a steady stream of completed projects within their terms. They need to change that negative perception people have of their transit track record faster.

Building subways faster is one way to do it. One of the reasons to upload the subways was to make the financing easier as well.

Without disregarding past PC mistakes, the fear mongering is going a bit far in my opinion. I think we should see what they will end up doing if they grab a majority.

The pace of transit implementation in Toronto is largely due to the Fords, who did nothing but slow things down.

Ford is promising everything to everyone as though he's running for class president in an 80s sitcom.

It would be great if the PC party could speed everything up, but based on his track record there's no reason to believe him.

It's not fear-mongering, it's using common sense.

Fool me once...

The pace of transit implementation in Toronto is largely due to the Fords, who did nothing but slow things down.

Ford is promising everything to everyone as though he's running for class president in an 80s sitcom.

It would be great if the PC party could speed everything up, but based on his track record there's no reason to believe him.

It's not fear-mongering, it's using common sense.

Fool me once...

Not sure they had really anything to do with the extensive TYSSE design/construction or SSE design process itself which was the real issue being discussed by the other posters? Surely Ill agree there was chaos and delay required to change the tide when calling out a hap-hazard, heavily impactful transit ideology and then larger delays having distant Councillors refusing to work with them towards an expedited solution or even both to compromise to help address problems being called out in the previous plan. Your post has more fear mongering than truth in regards to the specific issue.

Last edited:
Most of the delays can be blamed on the liberals, not the Fords. Finch West is scheduled to open about 8 years after it's initial date. only about 3 of those years are attributable to the Ford's, the other 5 are from the Liberal's introducing the long AFP process (about a year), and just simply delaying the project until the budget was closer to balance to reduce deficit spending.

Eglinton wasn't slowed at all.

Sheppard was killed by the Liberals.

SSE delayed the SELRT, amd that one is equally Liberal & Ford's fault.

Also, in case anyone is concerned, I'm not voting PC today. That doesn't mean that the fear mongering on this board isn't out of control.

Back