News   Jul 15, 2024
 654     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 808     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 615     0 

Scarborough Waterfront Project (?, ?, TRCA)

I wonder if it’s being funded out of the Federal Active Transportation money announced just before the election.

A couple of updates from the Capital Budget process:

1673728436437.png

Superficially, the construction remains entirely unfunded, but money is in place to finish up detailed design and to begin moving the EA process forward for the Bluffers to R.C. Harris link.

Really excited to see a formal start to this!

The Scarborough Bluffs West Revitalization Study will explore the renewal of and improvements to approximately 4.5 km of Lake Ontario shoreline, from Balmy Beach at Silver Birch Avenue to Bluffer’s Park. The project will engage the public, Indigenous communities and technical experts to inform a plan to enhance the landscape and provide safe access to the waterfront while protecting sensitive shoreline and natural areas.

The project will consider opportunities to:

• Improve how people access, move through and experience the waterfront
  • Provide a connected trail between Bluffer’s Park and the eastern edge of the Beaches, exploring the feasibility of a connected trail system along the shoreline
  • Preserve and enhance natural features and minimize hazards
  • Create connected naturalized systems along the Lake Ontario shoreline which respects and protects the significant natural and cultural features of the Bluffs
  • Enhance habitats on land and in the water

97ec-SCARBOROUGHBLUFFSWESTOCT2023-final.png

If you haven't been to the bottom of the bluffs in this area, check out this walk I did from a couple years ago.

It's a beautiful stretch of the bluffs, stoked to see the first steps in making it more accessible.

Really excited to see a formal start to this!

97ec-SCARBOROUGHBLUFFSWESTOCT2023-final.png

If you haven't been to the bottom of the bluffs in this area, check out this walk I did from a couple years ago.

It's a beautiful stretch of the bluffs, stoked to see the first steps in making it more accessible.
That's a great photo tour! Thanks.

I must hope that Mr Here is significantly older than me!

He is not!

@innsertnamehere is younger than me too; annoyingly he looks even younger than he is.......

Wouldn't surprise me if he still gets carded. LOL * ducks *

LOL I’m not that young! Definitely don’t get carded any more.. Long way to go till my 90’s though too…

LOL I’m not that young! Definitely don’t get carded any more..

I know you're older than ya look!

I remember asking another UT'er when I met you, whether you were still in school......and he was like 'nah, he was paroled a few years back'.

I assume you were mid 20s then; but you certainly could have passed for younger! (when was that, hmmm, six years ago, I suppose)

Long way to go till my 90’s though too…

Its not next week, month, year or decade for @DSC either; he just likes to pretend he's older so people will give up their seat on the subway. LOL

To get us back on track here, in the 2023 capital budget, the TRCA listed the entire Scarborough Waterfront Project under 'Capital Needs Constraints) ie. unfunded.

View attachment 518397

The only construction component that is funded is the new access path along Brimley Road.

View attachment 518398

Source: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/bu/bgrd/backgroundfile-231146.pdf
Sure, but an EA or other study is the first step towards securing funding, especially from other levels of government. It's a small but nonetheless forward step.

Sure, but an EA or other study is the first step towards securing funding, especially from other levels of government. It's a small but nonetheless forward step.

While I don't disagree, the EA has been in place for the segment east of the Bluffs for awhile now; and dates have just slid year after year, much as with the WWELRT downtown.

I'm not a pessimist, LOL; I'm far too active trying to make Toronto a better place to allow that.

But a hint of realism does creep in from time to time.

Last edited:

Back