476     1 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 971     3 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 506     1 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would put in DRL from Dundas West-Eglinton and Don Mills in the 15 year plan, then scrap the DRL West Extension to Eglinton and put Don Mills Subway, Eglinton-Finch in the 25 year plan. DRL West would be quite useful for Parkdale and quickly developing Humber Bay if it goes out to Roncesvales.

Other than that, I agree on all the rest of the lines. Nice work on the map :)

Asking where SOS was when Harris was in power is like asking where President Obama was when 9/11 happened, or like asking where Gandhi was when the Armenian genocide happened, or where Jesus was when the Holocaust happened. It's absurd and a distraction from the issue at hand. Hell, where was NASA when the Earth was formed? They should have been there to witness our planet's creation, wait no, the Big Bang, NASA should really have been there for that.

I would put in DRL from Dundas West-Eglinton and Don Mills in the 15 year plan, then scrap the DRL West Extension to Eglinton and put Don Mills Subway, Eglinton-Finch in the 25 year plan. DRL West would be quite useful for Parkdale and quickly developing Humber Bay if it goes out to Roncesvales.

Other than that, I agree on all the rest of the lines. Nice work on the map :)

I think that that would make the plan seem even more east-centric than it already is. Without another subway paralleling it in Etobicoke, I think the plan would lose its balance.

But thank you :) haha.

New version of the map including all the stations (it sounds like we have the alignments and phasing pretty much worked out, so I took the next step).

Attachments

• Not-to-Scale_v4_AllStations.jpg
    Not-to-Scale_v4_AllStations.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 137
New version of the map including all the stations (it sounds like we have the alignments and phasing pretty much worked out, so I took the next step).

Nice. But maybe a better approach would be to ghost out the extensions. We need some way to identify the current system.

And I am not a big fan of the dashed lines with stations on them for phase 2. But I don't know what fix can be applied.

Nice. But maybe a better approach would be to ghost out the extensions. We need some way to identify the current system.

And I am not a big fan of the dashed lines with stations on them for phase 2. But I don't know what fix can be applied.

So you mean make the entire current system grey (like was done on the last version of the full SOS map)?

As for the dashed lines, I think we need them in there, just to identify the priorities. I think if the existing system is greyed out, it will provide even greater emphasis on our priorities. I also listed the names of the stations in phase 2 in italics.

Hmm, I'm not sure about some of the stops. In particular I'm surprised there is no Sheppard stop at Bathurst ... Don River Blvd looks too minor and undense for a stop. Also why not add the roughed-in Willowdale stop?

Personally I'm really liking this map. I don't think the style needs to be changed. If you wanna try some alternatives, fine, but I think we can stick with this.

There are some things that should be changed though. The Sheppard West extension stations should follow the stations outlined in the Finch West-Sheppard East BCA: Senlac, Goddard and Bathurst.

And rather than using names that aren't street names (e.g. there is no Victoria Park North, Brimley North or Warden North. I'd rather have duplicate station names, otherwise we'll end up with names that don't make sense (north of Vic Park North, what would you call the station? Vic Park North North?).

We talked about this in a thread a while back. I don't think there was a conclusion really. Unless we just say for example "Victoria Park on the Sheppard line" versus "Victoria Park on the Danforth line" but that's a bit of a mouthful. Then again, the alternative is renaming all stations after their cross-streets "Victoria Park-Sheppard" versus "Victoria Park-Danforth".

If the times and alignments are still up for debate, I think that Etobicoke would be pretty well served with the Eglinton subway, B-D extension to Sherway, and Jane and Finch LRTs. I'm just worried about duplicating service along the Georgetown corridor that probably won't require two lines. A single, more regional service would probably be all that's needed.

But a DRL to Dundas West would probably be needed in the 15-year timeline. It'd give a good service to CityPlace, and would provide general relief to the King Streetcar. DRL North on Don Mills should be in the 25 year plan just because it's an obvious and very easy extension.

But that's just my 2 cents. It's not like this'll be the city's adopted RT plan. And hopefully the changes will be based on actual transit logic and not just politics.

EDIT: And I'd do the 25-year plan lines faded instead of dashed. With the dashed lines, it's harder to see continuity, and future sections in faded would help clean the map up in terms of stations.

Personally I'm really liking this map. I don't think the style needs to be changed. If you wanna try some alternatives, fine, but I think we can stick with this.

There are some things that should be changed though. The Sheppard West extension stations should follow the stations outlined in the Finch West-Sheppard East BCA: Senlac, Goddard and Bathurst.

And rather than using names that aren't street names (e.g. there is no Victoria Park North, Brimley North or Warden North. I'd rather have duplicate station names, otherwise we'll end up with names that don't make sense (north of Vic Park North, what would you call the station? Vic Park North North?).

We talked about this in a thread a while back. I don't think there was a conclusion really. Unless we just say for example "Victoria Park on the Sheppard line" versus "Victoria Park on the Danforth line" but that's a bit of a mouthful. Then again, the alternative is renaming all stations after their cross-streets "Victoria Park-Sheppard" versus "Victoria Park-Danforth".

Not that I think the TTC or Metrolinx will care what we label the station names at this preliminary stage, but at least with having the cross-street in the title it will better orient passengers as to where they are to/from in the network. Going by BIA or neighbourhood names could prove confusing to those unfamiliar with the city (tourists, out-of-towners).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back