News   Jul 31, 2024
 715     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 529     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ South of Sheppard: UTSC in particular

This is not a big deal if the Danforth subway gets extended and UTSC gets rapid transit along Ellesmere.

But otherwise, they will much prefer connection to Kennedy that to Main.
Exactly. Extending Bloor-Danforth would make it possible to ditch LRT on Morningside.

From What I heard today, this is a dead issue.

Not only will Metrolinx not look at upgrading this LRT to Subway, but neither well the government.

In fact TC is heading for some down grading and change of thinking.

Watch for announcements in the coming months.

Downgrading already? I didn't expect it to happen so soon. So my bets are Jane LRT is gone, Don Mills is BRT via Redway and Bayview, Kingston Road BRT from Victoria Park is extended to Morningside cancelling Scarborough-Malvern LRT, Eglinton LRT is extended to Kingston Road, and Waterfront West is delayed indefinitely.

From What I heard today, this is a dead issue.

Not only will Metrolinx not look at upgrading this LRT to Subway, but neither well the government.

In fact TC is heading for some down grading and change of thinking.

Watch for announcements in the coming months.
We'll deal with it as it happens. Our goal here is to change minds and engage the public. If we succeed maybe the RTP will get changed.

Re logos. As someone metioned could we possbily incorporate the new subway cars into the logo? Do you think it would be too subversive to use the subway to form the S's and the TC cars to form the O as a way to show how (particularly on Sheppard) the current TC plan will create a disconnect?

I thought about the new car. It could look cool. But I believe that it will be misleading for general public. The SOS motion isn't about cars or trains, it's more about lines.

Logo #5

logo05.jpg

Isn't it too impertinent? :rolleyes:

We need logos, slogans, marketing material that's simple. Once we start putting stuff out, the goal will be to get people to go to the website for more info.

A simple example would be a poster at a bus stop that just says:

"Hate transferring at Kennedy or Don Mills?

Join our campaign to extend the subway to Scarborough Town Centre.

Visit us at saveoursubways.ca or facebook.com/saveoursubways"

Add logo to that at the bottom. And you have a campaign.

That's why I prefer a simple logo and simple letterhead. The save our subways in black and white contrast was really good for letterhead. We just need a logo in a box beside the writing. That would be at the bottom of every poster.

Done right, this could achieve in weeks what took the DRL campaigners years since they largely targetted the media and politicians not regular riders. We don't have the luxury of time like they did. So we'll have to build a base of support while concurrently targetting decision makers.

I've mentioned in the DRL thread that my DRL renderings can be used by all subway advocates with proper credits...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wyliepoon/sets/72157613550573865/

I still have the Sketchup model file for the subway station, and things like signage, wall textures, public artwork, and even the train roll sign can easily be changed. If you want to request a subway-related rendering, feel free to ask me.

(Just send me the link to download the TTC font... I've lost that file since I switched computers)

We know this already. Target date is in the mid 2020's.

What is the point of WWLRT anyway? Glad they're nixing it. It'd be better to just commence express limited-stopping trips of the 508 car west of Humber Loop and just call it a day. The Queensway ROW is practically TC LRT standard spacing already. It'd also be relatively easy to connect the 508 directly to CNE East/Exhibtion GO via the exisitng streetcar tracks south on Dufferin, then via a new 1 kilometre section of track adjacent to the Lakeshore corridor. Doing so replicates the entire alignment into Union (as the 509 Harbourfront would be absorbed into this new routing).

WWLRT: demonstrative of the same lack of planning to just capitalize upon the resources we already have, choosing instead to wish for pie-in-the-sky LRTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back